Old 2010-05-27 , 07:20
MultiChoice

Question FAQs : New HD PVR 2P

How much is the new HD PVR model?
The recommended retail price for the HD PVR 2P is R1,999 in SA (while stocks last).

What does the newest HD PVR model offer?
The HD PVR 2P model offers the following :

• View 1 channel and record 1 other channel simultaneously
• Record 150 hours of Standard Definition TV (almost double the SD PVR) or 50 hours of HD TV
• Pause live TV programming
• Rewind programming
• Fast forward and slo-mo programming you have recorded
• 24 hour i-Plate
• Surround Sound capability
• XtraView capability
• Favourite Channels Feature
• Full Parental Control
• Aspect Ratio Toggle
• Simple installation for homes with a twin LNB

Note : This decoder does not yet have support for Series Recording or DStv ON DEMAND.

What are the key differences between the various PVR models?

Will I pay extra to use the PVR functionality on the HD PVR?
A standalone HD PVR in the home attracts your normal bouquet subscription as well as a monthly access fee of R65.
Please note that enabling the PVR functionality, does not necessarily give you access to any HD content. The HD channels are only available to DStv Premium subscribers.

What is the R65 access fee for?
The R65 access fee is charged to access multiple channels simultaneously (be this for viewing or recording).

Can I take a Decoder Care Contract for the HD PVR and what does it cost?
DCC is available for all our HD PVR models and costs R35 per month.

If I need to cancel my PVR subscription, can the HD PVR be used as a single view decoder?
Yes, the HD PVR 2P can be used as a single view decoder.

What is the warranty on the HD PVR?
If the decoder becomes faulty within 60 days of purchase, please return it to the point of purchase for a replacement. Please remember to take the proof of purchase with you. MultiChoice also offers a carry-in repair warranty that is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. (Please see the Product Warranty in the HD PVR Viewer’s Guide for more information).

What other XtraView decoders can be connected to the new HD PVR?

What installation is required for the HD PVR 2P?
The HD PVR 2P has 2 tuners and requires a two wire installation, ie. the minimum requirement is a twin LNB.
MultiChoice recommends that installation of the HD PVR is done by a DStv Accredited Installer. To find an accredited installer in your area, SMS your postal code to 33936 (SMS costs R1.50)

I’m using a communal dish and shared decoder to watch DStv (ie. each unit does not have their own separate decoder). Can I use the HD PVR?
Yes, the HD PVR 2P model supports Multi Unit Dwelling installations.

What are the restrictions in terms of performance if I don’t have a twin LNB installation?
The HD PVR 2P will not work on a single feed, unless the single feed is a SatCR installation. MultiChoice recommends that installation of the HD PVR is done by a DStv Accredited Installer. To find an accredited installer in your area, SMS your postal code to 33936 (SMS costs R1.50)

If I am getting a new installation, what size dish is recommended?
Although a 60cm dish has mostly been the normal size used to date, in order to “future proof” your installation, MultiChoice recommends a 90cm dish for new installations. MultiChoice recommends that installation of the HD PVR is done by a DStv Accredited Installer. To find an accredited installer in your area, SMS your postal code to 33936 (SMS costs R1.50)

Can I swop my HD PVR for the HD PVR 2P model?
In keeping abreast with technological progression, MultiChoice constantly introduces new hardware. MultiChoice does not upgrade or refund existing hardware. We suggest you link your HD PVR with the new HD PVR 2P model using XtraView , thus preventing your current decoder from becoming obsolete.
If you link your HD PVR with the new HD PVR 2P model with XtraView, there is no (R0) additional monthly cost (ie. you pay the same rate as you are currently paying monthly to use the HD PVR (example : DStv Premium + R65).

Why aren’t the HD PVRs dual view decoders?
The technology for a dual view HD PVR is not yet available at a cost which would make this product commercially viable. XtraView takes care of the second and in some cases, third viewing environment at no additional subscription to what you currently pay for on the Dual View decoder or SD PVR.

Will MultiChoice bring out a dual view HD PVR in the future?
At present the hardware components in the PVR required to support both HD and Dual View are either not available or are so expensive that they would increase the price of the PVR to such an extent it would be out of reach of the average subscriber. XtraView is able to offer HD PVR customers multiple viewing environments in a very cost effective way. Please visit www.dstv.com to see full information on XtraView, including the options available to HD PVR customers.

When will a single view HD decoder be launched?
HD technology is not yet at a cost point where the introduction of a low end, single view HD decoder is suitable for the SA market.

Why does the newest model (the HD PVR 2P) not have Series recording and DStv ON DEMAND and when will these features be available?
The new HD PVR model (HD PVR 2P) has been been launched in time for the World Cup Soccer. In order to meet these timelines, two functions available on the original HD PVR were temporarily omitted. These are the ability to set series recordings and the ability to use the DStv ON DEMAND catchup service. As soon as these two features have been developed they will be automatically downloaded to your PVR’s without you having to do anything. We expect these features to become available before the end of 2010.

If you have further queries relating to this decoder, please post here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XtraView_HDPVR2P.JPG (57.0 KB, 1457 views)
File Type: jpg PVR_comparison.JPG (151.7 KB, 1494 views)

Last edited by MC Brenda; 2010-05-27 at 07:23. .