Old 2010-04-29 , 18:40
Still listens to the wireless

Default HD PVR Noisy.

Is it only me or is the UEC HD PVR noisy? I finally decided to migrate from al old singleview decoder to something that can actually do HD picture to go with my HD sound system. To my disappointment I found that the HD PVR fan makes a loud enough noise to irritate the living #$%^ out of me.

I've returned devices for far less noise and this one is borderline going back to Makro. At least my old decoder was whisper quiet albeit I had to reboot it almost every day and it gives only SD pictures.

Ingo
Old 2010-04-29 , 18:47
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Yup, the UEC is noisy. Definitely not a decoder for the bedroom
Old 2010-04-29 , 18:53
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Is it only me or is the UEC HD PVR noisy? I finally decided to migrate from al old singleview decoder to something that can actually do HD picture to go with my HD sound system. To my disappointment I found that the HD PVR fan makes a loud enough noise to irritate the living #$%^ out of me.

I've returned devices for far less noise and this one is borderline going back to Makro. At least my old decoder was whisper quiet albeit I had to reboot it almost every day and it gives only SD pictures.

Ingo
I have mine very well ventilated about half a meter from the aircon on top of a wall unit without any sides, it runs cool and fans not to noisy (more noise from the aircon!).

Having said that, there is a hard drive which gets warm and power supply/processor which gets hotter than the old SD dumb boxes which need cooling.
Old 2010-04-29 , 19:11
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

The UEC was noticeably noisier than the Pace when placed in the same position but I've grown used to it and now it just blends into the general background noise.
Old 2010-04-29 , 19:46
Still listens to the wireless

What a shame, you would think with newer technology comes better cooling methods.

UEC, what were you thinking???
Old 2010-04-29 , 20:30
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
What a shame, you would think with newer technology comes better cooling methods.

Costs and price. MCA mandate is the cheapest possible unit
Old 2010-04-29 , 22:12
Knows how to use a remote

You should've got the Pace.... Its whisper quite and sexy.
Old 2010-04-30 , 08:54
Technical Myriad

Quote:

And that is exactly where you are wrong!, the more processing power needed and the bigger the HDD, is the more power it draws, the more heat it generates, the more NB cooling becomes, the bigger the fan gets, the more costly it gets to reduce the noise level from the fan the more expensive the STB gets. So short cuts are inevitable and one of these is on noise level supression/quiter running fans ..............
Old 2010-04-30 , 09:49
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiwa View Post
You should've got the Pace.... Its whisper quite and sexy.
“beauty is in the eye of the beholder” …lol. i personally can live with the UEC hdpvr with its better response ...and the said "noise" is not anything I can condemn it for

give it all you got today