Old 2010-01-26 , 18:33
Still gets up to change channels

Default Audio loss when changing channels

I have a Marantz av amp with optical input from a HDPVR.
Amp is set to Auto, no problem with digital channels.
When changing to an analogue channel, sound is lost. If I change channels back and forth from analogue to digital and back to analogue, sound is sometimes restored.
Most of the time I have to manually change the amp to stereo or dolby etc for sound to be restored.
I did not have this problem with my SDPVR.

The amp has no problem detecting audio type from the rest of my equipment.
Dual LNB, 2 x 6 M/S, Pace 4T HD-PVR, dumped xtraview, Marantz SR4001 AV amp, Sony BDP-S490 DVD, Samsung HD860 DVD, WD HD TV Live Media Player, Paradigm speakers, Samsung PS42C450B1W Plasma TV, Logitech Harmony One.
Old 2010-01-26 , 20:35
Knows how to use a remote

I had the same problem switching from HDMI input of the amp which the HD PVR is connected to, to the analogue input for the SD PVR and vice versa. Also had to change channels on the amp back and forth to restore sound, but I have to add that sound loss occurred mostly when switching back from analogue to HDMI.

Also no problem detecting audio type from any other equipment.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my HDMI cable and found that this problem is occurring allot less often, WTH??? but It looks like the HD PVR does have some sound switching issues. HDCP, or handshake or somethings up.

Clueless I'm afraid. Just want to mention I have some sound switching problems also.
Old 2010-01-26 , 23:18

Problem occurs when changing Channels on the HDPVR and losing sound via digital optical connection from PVR to amp.
The HDMI signal is not being switched by the amp as it only has 2 inputs and 1 output and I require 3 inputs, therefore I'm using a Yodata HDMI 1.3 - 3 input 1 output switch.
When I get no sound from the amp, sound will come from the tv speakers via HDMI when I increase the volume of the tv.
Dual LNB, 2 x 6 M/S, Pace 4T HD-PVR, dumped xtraview, Marantz SR4001 AV amp, Sony BDP-S490 DVD, Samsung HD860 DVD, WD HD TV Live Media Player, Paradigm speakers, Samsung PS42C450B1W Plasma TV, Logitech Harmony One.
Old 2010-01-29 , 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
I have a Marantz av amp with optical input from a HDPVR.
Amp is set to Auto, no problem with digital channels.
When changing to an analogue channel, sound is lost. If I change channels back and forth from analogue to digital and back to analogue, sound is sometimes restored.
Most of the time I have to manually change the amp to stereo or dolby etc for sound to be restored.
I did not have this problem with my SDPVR.

The amp has no problem detecting audio type from the rest of my equipment.
Seems that my Marantz amp needs a firmware upgrade according to HFX Systems:

1). When the unit has detected an abnormality, the protection operation that auto-launches may damage the POWER AMP.
2). When the HDMI connection mode is set to THROUGH while the unit is connected to a TV set that supports HDMI 1.3, the PLAYER may transmit HDMI 1.3 signals that supports Deep Color to the monitor in abnormal condition and distorts the picture.
3). When the channel is jumped from Multi Ch-PCM track to 2ch PCM track while the PLAYER is connected via HDMI, the SR4001/SR5001/SR5071 will not output OPT/COAX digital signals.