Old 2009-12-02 , 15:09
Still listens to the wireless

Unhappy LNB Connection

I have just moved into a house where the previous owner had dual view and there are two cables coming down from the roof. What do I connect to my single DSD 1110 decoder? Do I connect them together with a T-piece? I have tried just one cable but the picture keeps breaking up and the signal disappears after a short while.
Old 2009-12-02 , 16:00
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynj View Post
I have just moved into a house where the previous owner had dual view and there are two cables coming down from the roof. What do I connect to my single DSD 1110 decoder? Do I connect them together with a T-piece? I have tried just one cable but the picture keeps breaking up and the signal disappears after a short while.
What sort of dual view did he have? Ordinary or was it a HD + 1110 combination?

If ordinary then it is a simple Twin LNB, if not then it is a SATCR LNB. Then the signle view decoder must be connected to the cable connected to the "legacy" port. Unfortunately there is no simple way of telling the difference if the cables have not been marked.

(1) Confirm that there are two cables connected to the LNB on the antenna outside and if possible what sort of LNB it is.

(2) Try the one cable - connect to the LNB IN port on the decoder.
(3) If it does not work, try the second cable
(4) If both are giving you the same problem, then either the cable connections on the LNB are
loose and water has got into the connections, or the LNB is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Do not connect them together with a Tpiece or any other splitter/combiner

You may have to resort to calling in an installer
Old 2009-12-02 , 18:29
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Unfortunately there is no simple way of telling the difference if the cables have not been marked.
Touch them with your tongue, if you're dying it's SATCR if you're just collapse in a coma it's the legacy port.
Old 2009-12-03 , 08:49

Thanks Geoff D. Without actually climbing onto the roof it looks like there is only one cable coming from the LNB. I have now got one of the cables giving a signal strength of 73% and picture quality of 100% but the picture breaks up after a short while, then the unit says it has lost the signal. Itís been raining here for the past week so maybe itís a water problem like you suggest.
Old 2009-12-03 , 09:14
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

One cable is probably just feeding another room
The LNB seems like it needs re-allignment
Old 2009-12-03 , 09:24

Thanks Merv G. I already have a third cable going to the bedroom so I'm almost sure that the two cables come from the dish. I think I need to get into the roof space or onto the roof this weekend.
Old 2009-12-03 , 10:57
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechsol View Post
Thanks Merv G. I already have a third cable going to the bedroom so I'm almost sure that the two cables come from the dish. I think I need to get into the roof space or onto the roof this weekend.
Terrestrial antenna in place? then one of the cables could be for reception of terrestrial feeds.

If on the obe cacble you get goot siganl strenght a quality some of the time then it is most probably a problem with the connector on the cable at the LNB side ( loose, wet, etc)
Old 2009-12-03 , 13:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Perhaps the previous owner switched the twin lnb for a single one before he left and took it with him and the second cable was pulled into the roof. If this is the case then maybe the lnb skew angle is wrong.
Old 2009-12-03 , 14:30

Thanks guys for the great suggestions, it looks like Iíve got some climbing to do this weekend. One more question, how do I check / rectify the ďskew angleĒ?