Old 2009-06-08 , 13:41
Still gets up to change channels

Smile dstv look angles

hi guys im new to the forum and i would just like to say what a wonderful site this is, i would like to know what is the azimuth and elevation setting for lenasia and lenasia south is and if it possible could somebody please explain to me how azimuth works and what has the offset got to do with the inclinometer on the back of the dish???i got myself a satelite finder, the one with the needle, has anybody used this before??....thanks so much for all the help i really really appreciate it!!!
Old 2009-06-08 , 14:03
Changes remote batteries daily

http://www.dishpointer.com/
Try this site.
68.5 E Intelsat 10,7 for DSTV
Old 2009-06-08 , 16:32

thanks bro had a look at it but the elavtion for this area is 35.8 from that website,but im still confused because my dish is sittng on a 55 degree elevation,please help
Old 2009-06-09 , 09:42
Changes remote batteries daily

I am not sure what your problem is. Or what your question is.
The site is accurate. So what exactly do you want to know.
Old 2009-06-09 , 11:05

hi i want to know why my dish is sitting on a 55 degree elevation, compared to what it says on the website.....why are the two different, it should be on the 35.8 instead of 55???
Old 2009-06-09 , 11:46
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Not sure if this is relevant but most DSTV dishes do not have the LNB at the centre of the dish, i.e if there was a whole at the centre of the dish and you looked back through it the satellite would not be hidden by the LNB.
Old 2009-06-09 , 12:18
MultiChoice

There are several dish manufacturers and different dish sizes. If there is a problem with reception, then you need to have a look at the alignment and skew of the LNB. If there is no problem, then we need to have a look at the area and as mention the dish size. It also depends where the measurement is taken.

Just more info, the dish is just a reflector and that the signal is reflected off the dish and onto the LNB (low noise block down convertor), so what I am saying is that all dish specs will not always be as stipulated on the web
Old 2009-06-09 , 16:39

thanks mctech i got an ellies 90cm dish with a dual lnb, and a sdpvr to it i get a 86% signal strength on tv1 and 90% signal strength on tv2, both signal qualities are 100% and are locked , is this good enough and can i improve it anymore??hmm so the settings on the web are for wich dishes??
Old 2009-06-10 , 10:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

THose are pretty decent signal strengths, I think mine on my SD pvr are 75-805%
Old 2009-06-10 , 12:48
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavnesh View Post
hi guys im new to the forum and i would just like to say what a wonderful site this is, i would like to know what is the azimuth and elevation setting for lenasia and lenasia south is and if it possible could somebody please explain to me how azimuth works and what has the offset got to do with the inclinometer on the back of the dish???i got myself a satelite finder, the one with the needle, has anybody used this before??....thanks so much for all the help i really really appreciate it!!!
Azimuth is measured w.r.t TRUE North and most s/w on the web will give you the azimuth w.r.t TN. Some will correct for magnetic declination automatically but then it should say so. THEN you use a compass to determine the horizontal direction

Elevation is given w.r.t the Horizontal plane. It ishe angle upwards into the sky that you have to point an antenna at to "see" the satellite. So at your location the elevation angle for IS 7/10 is 35.8 degrees.

The antenna OFFSET angle needs to be SUBTRACTED from 35.8 to give you the actual elevation of the antenna, since when offset antennas are placed 100% Vertical, the elevation angle of the reflector is actually at 0 degrees, then the signal will leave the antenna at an elevation angle = to the OFFSET angle. So then you need to position the antenna "backwards" by 35.8 - the offest angle for the antenna.

So now to make sense of your measurment of 55 degrees we need to know where and how you measured it.

ASSUMING you measured it at the correct place, then it seems likely that you actually measured the VER angle, and that the antenna is correctly placed because 90 - 55 = 35 degrees.

Quote:
thanks bro had a look at it but the elavtion for this area is 35.8 from that website,but im still confused because my dish is sittng on a 55 degree elevation,please help
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTech View Post
There are several dish manufacturers and different dish sizes. If there is a problem with reception, then you need to have a look at the alignment and skew of the LNB. If there is no problem, then we need to have a look at the area and as mention the dish size. It also depends where the measurement is taken.

Just more info, the dish is just a reflector and that the signal is reflected off the dish and onto the LNB (low noise block down convertor), so what I am saying is that all dish specs will not always be as stipulated on the web
The dish specs that are available on the web are actually quite pathetic! The suppliers just do not care to give one proper info. However what is important is to realise that the antennas are OFFSET antennas, so the orientation of the reflector DOES NOT represent the direction towards the satellite. The spec you need is the OFFSET angle for that antenna. The signal comes out higher than one would naturally assume form just looking at the antenna.

Quote:
thanks mctech i got an ellies 90cm dish with a dual lnb, and a sdpvr to it i get a 86% signal strength on tv1 and 90% signal strength on tv2, both signal qualities are 100% and are locked , is this good enough and can i improve it anymore??hmm so the settings on the web are for wich dishes??
This is a case of "IT AIN'T BROKEN" so "DON'T FIX IT!" The signal strengths are good, they could be a little better BUT it would take some VERY carefull peaking to get it better.

More likely is that your skew angle adjustment could be imnproved on. That figure is also provided by the s/w available on the web