Old 2009-05-29 , 11:11
Knows how to use a remote

Default Dual View

Just for interest, and I am sure this has been answered, why has MultiChoice abandoned dual view. I had the old Dual Videw decoder, which I then upgraded to the SD PVR. I have now placed the Dual View decoder on auction and it sold for more than the original retail value.

This strongly suggests that Multi Choice has discontinued a highly sought after product. I have not "downgraded" to the HD PVR and to the new XTRA View.

Any thoughts on this. Just for your interest I have sold the Dual View decoder for over R2500.00!
Old 2009-05-29 , 11:28
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by psavv View Post
Just for interest, and I am sure this has been answered, why has MultiChoice abandoned dual view. I had the old Dual Videw decoder, which I then upgraded to the SD PVR. I have now placed the Dual View decoder on auction and it sold for more than the original retail value.

This strongly suggests that Multi Choice has discontinued a highly sought after product. I have not "downgraded" to the HD PVR and to the new XTRA View.

Any thoughts on this. Just for your interest I have sold the Dual View decoder for over R2500.00!
I trust you did this because you no longer want dual view services otherwise you have just made a very big mistake! Yes the SD PVR is no longer manufactured and is becoming scarce and it is highly sought after because it WORKS!
Old 2009-05-29 , 12:04

Lol, no, as I said, I had BOTH the Dual View and the SD PVR (which is also Dual View) so I sold the Dual View. I still have the SD PVR.

I just wish tht MC would rather provide what the people want rather than what MC want people to have.
Old 2009-05-29 , 12:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Serious...? I have an old Dual View decoder... (*ka-ching* *ka-ching*)
Old 2009-05-29 , 12:53
Changes remote batteries daily

Are two 1110 decoders not Xtraview enabled yet? Cost is only R800.
90cm dish; dual LNB; Explora Switch; HD-PVR2 + Explora in lounge; XV heartbeat via t-piece; Philips 42 LCD 42PFL7409/98 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Sony surround amp fed via optical
Old 2009-05-29 , 15:12
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Lol, no, as I said, I had BOTH the Dual View and the SD PVR (which is also Dual View) so I sold the Dual View. I still have the SD PVR.

I just wish tht MC would rather provide what the people want rather than what MC want people to have.
I assumed you were referring to the SD PVR with that price! and I think the guy who bought your one also thought so! Great windfall ! Very good luck!
Old 2009-06-05 , 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I assumed you were referring to the SD PVR with that price! and I think the guy who bought your one also thought so! Great windfall ! Very good luck!
Nope it is the Dual View decoder and I made it very clear that it was not the PVR and had no recording abilities. The SDPVR's can now fetch over R3000 it seems.

It is a fair point about the two single decoders at R400 each. Still then I guess it becomes dual view vs xtra view and costs of installation etc. Also reliability of service once installed. Based on forum comments no one seems to really "love" xtra view. Makes me hesitate in going HD PVR + SD PVR with XV.
Old 2009-06-05 , 15:31
MultiChoice

XtraView is still at the crawling stage.
When you can combine multiple decoders (wirelessly if needed) with a shared playlist and the ability to get and record content to/ from any one of them without influencing any viewing environment, Dual View will be left in the dust.
DV was good technology for its time, and we are experiencing a little teething trouble in getting XV where we would like it, but it is the future.
Old 2009-06-06 , 11:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
XtraView is still at the crawling stage.
When you can combine multiple decoders (wirelessly if needed) with a shared playlist and the ability to get and record content to/ from any one of them without influencing any viewing environment, Dual View will be left in the dust.
DV was good technology for its time, and we are experiencing a little teething trouble in getting XV where we would like it, but it is the future.
Well I can confirm this - I resisted with to the very last minute to activate XV on my combination and now I KNOW is was right! Ever since I cativated XV on my combination, I have had an increasing in unexplained lock ups on the (before perfectly working SD)

Every 30 seconds the SD MUST take note of the HB and thta means that during aprogram of 1 hours content, there are 120 times whne the s/w is busy processing the HB signals. each process seems to take about 2 seconds. That means that for 240 seconds - 4 minutes the s/w is busy. If you now just happen to start a REW or a FF or any other action when the s/w is "busy" with the HBs you get ......... picture freezes and lock ups!
Old 2009-06-07 , 20:22
MultiChoice

XV was designed not to interfere with the human interface. For example - heartbeats check for remote commands and gets delayed for up to 30 seconds(after which they are cancelled) to give remote commands priority.

Processes (like the start of a recording) are stacked and can at worst be delayed momentarily. They cannot be cancelled or corrupted due to processing priority. (Had this been a problem, any remote commands at critical times would crash the decoder)

These things, combined with the fact that XV heartbeat compilation, transmission, reception and processing takes less than 0.15 seconds on a decoder, means that XV has no humanly detectable influence on decoder processes or responsiveness. (Effectively it leaves the decoder with 99.995% up-time which is better than almost anything else out there...)

The problem cases you mention may be purely coincidental, related to the incorrect or corrupt program information or conditional access data, or just plain play-out related... or you may be the 1 in 40000 (amount of SDPVRs with XV) that have discovered a new XV stability-related flaw.