Old 2009-04-10 , 21:37
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default My HD pvr is not responding

Hi Guys
what options do i have?
My HD box went insane the last 3 weeks. Freezing up, not responding, recordings fails, or records only for 1 min 27 secs on some programs. The over all performance has gotten slower.

My HDrive is 60% used.
I have some double recordings set per week.
Signals are excellent.

Is there a update coming, a fix .. what ever. I am sure that if i go to the buglist website i will see the same things there.

If i share content and pull recordings from the SDpvr and watch them on the HDpvr i could have chucked most of my recordings and set them on the SD box and only record HD stuff on the HD box. I has become very frustrating loosing out on programs. I have had 7 recordings that failed only for this week. Thank heavens for repeats !!!!!

it is pitty that fringe on HD does not get repeated anymore. The dedicated sunday 10:00am for the repeat of Fringe is now filled with The Office and something else.

regards
Old 2009-04-16 , 11:57
Still listens to the wireless

I share your pain !

Last night i was watching The Mentalist, approx 30 min's after the broadcast started. Not from the buffer, but from the playlist while the recording was still busy. Mid way through the recording, it just stopped. Needless to say, the decoder was on a different channel, so i couldnt use the buffer. Nothing else was recording at the time. For crying out loud.

Went away for the long weekend, asuming that the recording i set will actually record, came back on monday only to find out that 4 out of the 9 TBR were messed up. 2 didn't finish recording (and i'm not talking about a 10 minute cut) and one (Fringe) only recorded 9 minutes of the show. There was no warnings on any of them, and no power outtages.

Sometimes i will be watching something on channel "x", knowing that i've got a scheduled TBR that's going to start on channel "y". 15 min's later, i want to start watching the tbr (so that i don't have to sit through the ridiculous amount of adds) and i'll notice that the TBR didn't even start.

How does that happen ? It's simple logic. Recording 1 Scheduled for Wednesdays from 20:00 - 21:00 on channel X. If the current system/local time meets any of the tbr's criteria, record the specified channel. Bah !!
TBR's shouldn't get affected by program guide changes, signal intteruptions, or power outtages.

I'm not even gonna talk about the slow response (waiting 15 sec's for the decoder to respond) of the decoder and the lack of functionality.

I find it very frustrating that multichoice cares so little about their clients that they will release a product this flawed to make money. Well, what did i expect. 1 HD content provider in SA.

World cup next year, hahaha, it's going to be ridiculous.
Old 2009-04-16 , 13:02
Changes remote batteries daily

Sounds like some of the issues reported in this thread:
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=1501

Possibly something to do with the current HDD management.
Hopefully a future update will sort at least some of these issues.
Old 2009-04-16 , 15:58
Still gets up to change channels

I have experienced similar problems with TBRs over weekends etc. I do a full re-boot/re-scan every couple of days and it seems to eliminate most of the errors. It's annoying and not the greatest solution but it helps.
Old 2009-04-16 , 16:09
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
My HD box went insane the last 3 weeks. Freezing up, not responding, recordings fails, or records only for 1 min 27 secs on some programs. The over all performance has gotten slower.
(1) Have you noticed any error messages during this time such as an alert message about having a valid subscription?
(2) What does you schedule list look like? Are there entries in there with warning triangles about "partial recordings?"

Quote:
My HDrive is 60% used.
I have some double recordings set per week.
Signals are excellent.
(3) HDD fill does slow down the decoder response to commands
(4) By double recordings , do you mean recordings that are set at exactly the same times?
(5) the issues you are having are unlikely to be related to signal strengths

Quote:

Is there a update coming, a fix .. what ever. I am sure that if i go to the buglist website i will see the same things there.
Yes so we have been promised

Quote:
I have had 7 recordings that failed only for this week.
Are all these TBRs that have failed?
Old 2009-04-16 , 16:24
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennZA View Post
Last night i was watching The Mentalist, approx 30 min's after the broadcast started. Not from the buffer, but from the playlist while the recording was still busy.
It is not a good idea to start watching something from the playlist whilst a recording is in progress. Something about s/w interactions causes recordings to stop. I have few ideas why.

It is better to either do this in the buffer or wait until the recording has completed.

Quote:

Went away for the long weekend, asuming that the recording i set will actually record, came back on monday only to find out that 4 out of the 9 TBR were messed up. 2 didn't finish recording (and i'm not talking about a 10 minute cut) and one (Fringe) only recorded 9 minutes of the show. There was no warnings on any of them, and no power outtages.
Are the missing TBRs still listed in the schedule list with warning triangles against them?

Quote:
Sometimes i will be watching something on channel "x", knowing that i've got a scheduled TBR that's going to start on channel "y". 15 min's later, i want to start watching the tbr (so that i don't have to sit through the ridiculous amount of adds) and i'll notice that the TBR didn't even start.
Ditto for these, does the TBR still show in the playlist and do you see one of the recording tuner lights ON on the decoder front panel?

Quote:
I'm not even gonna talk about the slow response (waiting 15 sec's for the decoder to respond) of the decoder and the lack of functionality.
I have measured 120 seconds so we all have to have plenty of patience with the HD decoder.
Old 2009-04-16 , 16:30
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

What I've found is if the PVR doesnt respond in around 20 seconds, i push a number key and it then forgets the previous commands & then works, for example if it isnt responding and i want to change to channel 200, i push 2200 and it will change