Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > New HD Decoders With More Record Features

Old 2013-06-23 , 19:03
Still gets up to change channels

Default New HD Decoders With More Record Features

With Dstv adding more & more new channels it's going to get pretty hard for many to catch up with seeing as much of what they want to see.With PVR having one recording feature that means only one redording channel at a time.Why not release more expensive decoders out there that can do 3 or more recordings at once.I'm not saying that the current pvr that's available should be phased out.Let there be different decoders out there that vary in price range according to the number of recording features each decoder has.In other words the more recordings a pvr can do the more expensive it will be.At the moment the current hd pvr decorder with only one recording is the one many are stuck with.When Dstv first started hd channels it came out with it's first hd decoder that had 2 record features.Instead of keeping that hd pvr decoder it phased it off the market & came out with the current one which is cheaper but can do only recording at a time.It's time for Multichoice to give it's customers more options as far as hd pvr decoders are concerned.
Old 2013-06-23 , 21:57
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarncre View Post
With Dstv adding more & more new channels it's going to get pretty hard for many to catch up with seeing as much of what they want to see.With PVR having one recording feature that means only one redording channel at a time.Why not release more expensive decoders out there that can do 3 or more recordings at once.I'm not saying that the current pvr that's available should be phased out.Let there be different decoders out there that vary in price range according to the number of recording features each decoder has.In other words the more recordings a pvr can do the more expensive it will be.At the moment the current hd pvr decorder with only one recording is the one many are stuck with.When Dstv first started hd channels it came out with it's first hd decoder that had 2 record features.Instead of keeping that hd pvr decoder it phased it off the market & came out with the current one which is cheaper but can do only recording at a time.It's time for Multichoice to give it's customers more options as far as hd pvr decoders are concerned.
There is, it is called 2 decoders in an Xtraview config

The price of 2 Tuners is the same as the older 4 tuners

But everyone moans of repeats after repeats after repeats....
Old 2013-06-23 , 22:15
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
There is, it is called 2 decoders in an Xtraview config
How is that either a sensible solution, or a helpful answer?
Old 2013-06-24 , 09:04
Knows how to use a remote

I think gwalkers point is that if you look around ( say Google ), the wider standard out there from most satellite tele providers is to use a version of xtraview to achieve this. That said, Tivo for e.g. has 4 tuner models.

For all its faults, I find our series recording intelligence pretty good. If you try record two shows simultaneously that clash, it simply moves one of the recordings out. And due to the number of repeats, it's usually moved out by 24 - 48 hours. So you never really wait long

Last edited by hilt_ctn; 2013-06-24 at 09:06. .
Old 2013-06-24 , 09:09
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
But everyone moans of repeats after repeats after repeats....
Yet more people want to record these repeats, and when they miss live broadcast while watching recorded programmes, they want to record more and more...
Old 2013-06-24 , 09:16
Changes remote batteries hourly

With the recent development of an increasing amount of useful channels being added to the service, and given the tendency for S.A. households to have many viewing environments (I've had some personal experience of this in my installation days), something beyond existing XtraView options is certainly needed.

Certainly, as we've seen on the Forum in the past, far more capable decoders are available internationally.

But one step at a time... as regular Forumites know there are plans for extended online options in the not too distant future, but surely if not already under consideration MC needs to consider both a more modern dual-view type decoder option(s) as well as an expanded and perhaps more user friendly XtraView system.
Old 2013-06-24 , 11:14
AKA Gadgenator (Changes remote batteries daily)

I think there is a new HD PVR on its way releasing sometime in 2013
Old 2013-06-24 , 11:15
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Xtraview lends itself to multiple viewing platforms, but I still feel multiple simultaneous recordings should be a decoder function
Old 2013-06-24 , 13:22
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Maybe a much bigger harddisk will go a long way. It will help prevent what was presented to me when I switch on the TV Sunday after returning from a weekend away. See foto attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full.jpg (73.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 2013-06-24 , 13:36
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethM View Post
Xtraview lends itself to multiple viewing platforms, but I still feel multiple simultaneous recordings should be a decoder function
You've seen me link to this before. ;-)

Hopper

Whole home DVR is the only answer. Xtraview is a kludge which allows two completely separate and independent decoders to coexist under one roof in a relatively inexpensive manner.