Old 2013-04-24 , 12:38
Still listens to the wireless

Default Power Surge - Decoder Busted

Hi

I have a bit of a problem. We had a power surge and basically it blew my tv and the power cable of the standard dstv decoder - power cable actually caught fire (blue flame) . So I need to know the following:

Is it possible that the decoder still works and I just need to replace the cable
How much does it cost to buy a new decoder or power cable
How much does it cost to repair
Can I buy a second hand decoder and is someone on this forum willing to sell?
Is my LNB line buggered up?

As you may note, I am not the most technically advanced person around

Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edited by NatashaC; 2013-04-24 at 12:45. .
Old 2013-04-24 , 12:43
Technical Myriad

some power surge that must have been.

depends on what caused the problem. You will not know until the decoder is evaluated by MC. Take the decoder in and then proceed after that.

OR

just get and installer out, he will probably do no fault finding, declare everything damaged and replace the lot!

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-04-24 at 17:14. .
Old 2013-04-24 , 12:50

Hey GeoffD

Thanks for the reply. I have phoned an installer and he was going on about how sensitive the decoders are - poor little puppies that they are - and in all probability it blew the LNB line as well. So yes, I do think that if an installer knows you are girl alone with no technical know how they take advantage of that fact (at least some of them - in order to avoid gross generalization) - hence me turning to an objective audience. Silly thing is that I had the installation done just over a week ago (moved into a new premise) and best of all I bought a power surge multiplug and the minute I connected it to another tv, it sparked and almost blew that tv up as well. I am at my wits end
Old 2013-04-24 , 12:58
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaC View Post
Hey GeoffD

Thanks for the reply. I have phoned an installer and he was going on about how sensitive the decoders are - poor little puppies that they are - and in all probability it blew the LNB line as well. So yes, I do think that if an installer knows you are girl alone with no technical know how they take advantage of that fact (at least some of them - in order to avoid gross generalization) - hence me turning to an objective audience. Silly thing is that I had the installation done just over a week ago (moved into a new premise) and best of all I bought a power surge multiplug and the minute I connected it to another tv, it sparked and almost blew that tv up as well. I am at my wits end
I think you need to verify that the wall socket is okay. This will unfortunately mean getting an electrician out. Earth leakage --- did it trip? it should have.

send me PM with the details on the power protection you bought and lets see if that is the problem.

Take things one step at a time, first prove the decoder faulty --- it may even be just the power unit.

A week old install --- that should be covered by the installer you used.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-04-24 at 17:15. .
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I think you need to verify thta the wall socket is okay. this will unfortunately mean getting an electrician out. Earth leakage --- did it trip? it should have.

end me PM with the details on the power protection you bought and lets see if that is the problem.

Take things one step at a time, first prove the decoder faulty --- it may even be just the power unit.

A week old install --- that should be covered by the installer you used.
My landlord checked the plug and swore high and dry that there is nothing wrong with it and he cannot be held responsible for power surges You lost me with Earth leakage? But yes, the whole neighbourhood apparently "felt" the surge (first one at least - when decoder etc went bang) and the power was off for a couple of hours.

I used a multiplug from a reputable manufacturer - will pm the company name.

I live in the Bergbron area - is there a multichoice agency around in that vicinity that someone knows about where I can take the decoder to?

Re the installer I used, being frugal, I didn't use an accredited installer but one with years of experience (according to him but he didn't do a bad job - I had a crystal clear signal) and being daft, I declined to take out the insurance on the decoder
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:12
MultiChoice

my suggestion would be to take it into our branch and they will test and advise
if you then require an installer , we can send you a recommended list
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:15

Thanks Fathima. Where is your branch?
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:18
MultiChoice

where are you based?

our branches are in
JHB- Randburg
Cape Town - N1 City
DBN- Umhlanga
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:20
MultiChoice

GeoffD is right- if your installation is only a week old, call back the installer.
Old 2013-04-24 , 13:40

Thanks Fathima. Will do