Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Internet accelerators

Old 2012-09-07 , 14:20
Changes remote batteries hourly

Question Internet accelerators

Do any of you who maybe use internet accelerators have any recommendations for improving DoD video streaming before I start using it?
We've only got 1Mbps broadband which is too jerky much of the time and we would rather not have further ISP costs, this much bandwidth should be enough for SD. Of course how it's actually managed by the ISP is another story...

We use "IE Accelerator" which I've always thought is a bit suspect re its claims, but it is popular.
Old 2012-09-07 , 15:42
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Sheesh, I haven't heard of that since dial up days when it didn't help much anyway

I hardly have any issues with streaming on a 1mb line, although I don't do it much. Maybe wait to get upgraded to 2mb which should be in the next few weeks
Old 2012-09-07 , 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv View Post
Sheesh, I haven't heard of that since dial up days when it didn't help much anyway

I hardly have any issues with streaming on a 1mb line, although I don't do it much. Maybe wait to get upgraded to 2mb which should be in the next few weeks
This one does at least have settings for ADSL, LAN, even Cable.

I presume your 2Mb comment is tounge in cheek? Yep, shouldn't be more than a few months the way things are accelerating (pun intended), but what the ISPs then deliver is always in question.
Old 2012-09-07 , 16:11
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
This one does at least have settings for ADSL, LAN, even Cable.

I presume your 2Mb comment is tounge in cheek? Yep, shouldn't be more than a few months the way things are accelerating (pun intended), but what the ISPs then deliver is always in question.
Nope, Telkom started upgrading 1mb to 2mb on 24 August I think it was, should be complete by end Sep. Then they upgrade 384k to 1mb

MWeb uncapped is about R70 more going from 1mb to 2mb, other ISPs though have come in with better prices

Added link: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/5...e-details.html
Old 2012-09-07 , 16:18

We're one of the ones who went from 384Kb to 1Mb... some good improvements, but not when it comes to streaming. That's why I don't trust them re going from 1Mb to 2Mb.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - ours is M-Web. If we don't get anywhere we'll now think about moving to Telkom since it's doing ok for you.
I don't know too much about the LAN etc. networking side but our set-up has been checked for what's best.

Last edited by Optimist; 2012-10-25 at 01:33. . Reason: Combining posts to neaten-up
Old 2012-09-07 , 16:45
Changes remote batteries daily

doesnt MWEB have their own internet accelerator? I remember using one in my dial up days....check their website
Old 2012-09-07 , 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post
doesnt MWEB have their own internet accelerator? I remember using one in my dial up days....check their website
I remember that as well now - will do, thanks!
Old 2012-09-07 , 18:00

Telkom will upgrade your line from 1 to 2 mbps. You then need to call Mweb to upgrade your ISP account to 2mbps. Log into your router and it will tell you what speed it is syncing at.
Old 2012-09-07 , 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet Duck View Post
Telkom will upgrade your line from 1 to 2 mbps.
My 1mbps line was upgraded to 2mbps 3 days ago ... and I live in a tiny WC town, halfway between CT & George. All applicable lines should be upgraded soon.
Old 2012-09-07 , 19:28

Well now I have an interesting tale to tell, so grab a cuppa or refill your beer mug & then read this...

@TD - Thanks! You made me think to at least check my router as I haven't bothered, and what do you know, my downstream is on a mere 384Kb!!

So of course I bit my lower lip, something this forum teaches us to do well , and gave M-Web a ring. Fortunately I got a very competent guy on the other end.
Here's the story;

After many enquiries to Telkom about similar issues, Telkom finally informed M-Web around mid-August that they are first downgrading clients in order to prepare for upgrading them!
Further, there is no info as to who is being affected where, or anything else, other than a commitment(?) for completion by the end of September.
I'm told M-Web calls Telkom daily but receive very little further info.
When I asked why clients haven't been informed I was told that it's believed that as management don't know who's affected & don't want to cause confusion or alarm they've just not done so.

Anyway, joining Telkom is now definitely a no-no.
I'm just going to go along calmly with this for now, it's not costing us extra for the offered upgrade. I'll wait until about 10 days into October, after which....... well let's just get there first.