Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > Installation > Easiest DIY HD PVR install with extra view?

Old 2012-04-27 , 12:47
Still gets up to change channels

Default Easiest DIY HD PVR install with extra view?

I've seen so many different ways of DIY install on the internet so I'm confused. I currently only have a 1110 decoder with single LNB. I'm now purchasing a HD PVR.

I now want to install the HD PVR. So I want to watch on 2 tv's and be able to record as well. The main TV is in the living room and the other tv is in the bedroom.

Somebody mentioned a twin LNB and a 6 way multiswitch / splitter.

What is the easiest way to do a DIY ? Is there a "better" brand of LNB and cables or are they all the same ?

Thank you
Old 2012-04-27 , 17:56
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennie27 View Post
I've seen so many different ways of DIY install on the internet so I'm confused. I currently only have a 1110 decoder with single LNB. I'm now purchasing a HD PVR.

I now want to install the HD PVR. So I want to watch on 2 tv's and be able to record as well. The main TV is in the living room and the other tv is in the bedroom.

Somebody mentioned a twin LNB and a 6 way multiswitch / splitter.

What is the easiest way to do a DIY ? Is there a "better" brand of LNB and cables or are they all the same ?

Thank you
The best is to read Xtraview manual.

Ensure you have RG6 cable with the LNB and replace the existing cable.

G
Old 2012-04-27 , 19:27
Technical Myriad

See this item and after reading the manual, feel free to ask any questions
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3919

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-04-28 at 09:13. .
Old 2012-04-27 , 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
The best is to read Xtraview manual.

Ensure you have RG6 cable with the LNB and replace the existing cable.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
See this item and after reading the manual, feel free to ask any questions
Thank you - I'll check it out
Old 2012-05-09 , 10:26

I am in the exact same boat as you, I just upgraded to a HD PVR and wanto install my old decoder (1131) in my bedroom on xtraview and keep the PVR in the livingroom for recording etc. After reading through all the post on here, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest way is to buy a SatCR LNB and replace with my single LNB, add a secondary cable (RG6) to connect the SatCR connection to my PVR (LNB 1 in) and then the existing cable to the universal port on the LNB to my 1131 in the bedroom. Then connecting the PVR from RF out to my 1131 RF in with RG6 cable and then just adjusting the remotes (according to the xtraview manual) so they don't interfere with each other and then phoning multichoice to activate xtraview, as far as I know xtraview does not cost more because I already pay more for the PVR function .... Can anyone please confirm if all I said here is 100% correct for my own peace of mind?
Old 2012-05-09 , 11:32
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
I am in the exact same boat as you, I just upgraded to a HD PVR and wanto install my old decoder (1131) in my bedroom on xtraview and keep the PVR in the livingroom for recording etc. After reading through all the post on here, I have come to the conclusion that the easiest way is to buy a SatCR LNB and replace with my single LNB, add a secondary cable (RG6) to connect the SatCR connection to my PVR (LNB 1 in) and then the existing cable to the universal port on the LNB to my 1131 in the bedroom. Then connecting the PVR from RF out to my 1131 RF in with RG6 cable and then just adjusting the remotes (according to the xtraview manual) so they don't interfere with each other and then phoning multichoice to activate xtraview, as far as I know xtraview does not cost more because I already pay more for the PVR function .... Can anyone please confirm if all I said here is 100% correct for my own peace of mind?
yes and no ------

If you insist on the SATCR LNB, strongly suggest you get a universal SATCR with 2 legacy ports, even if you don't use one of them ---- you will in the end.

If the cabling is old (>4-5 years) dump it and pull in new cables one to each room direct form antenna, don't extend cable from lounge to BR.

RF OUT to RF IN is okay BUT then lie to the call centre when you set up XV, as they will insist the Primary must be RF IN - which is NOT nec.

You will not need to use TVlinks as the 1131 will be able to relay commands to the HD PVR so powering up a TVLink is not an issue.

NOTE: you will NOT be able to view in the lounge what is on the 1131 decoder via RF.

settings:
HD PVR:

comms port = RF OUT
mode = "TV1"

Accept relayed commands = ON
Relay commands = OFF -- not needed as you can't see what is on the 1131 anyway

1131:

comms (transmit) port = RF IN
Mode 1= relay
Mode 2= respond
Modes 3,4 = ignore

RF cable from RF out to TV. Set 2 RF channels in BR to each decoder RF channel. Note both default to 63 so you will have to change the settings to say 23 and 25.
Old 2012-05-10 , 08:01

Thank you Geoff

I meant using a SatCr LNB with 2 ports (one SatCR port to go to the PVR in living room and one Universal port that goes to 1131 in bedroom). Hope this is correct? I am avoiding splitters in this case.

My current cable is only a few months old so will use the existing one directly to the 1131 in the bedroom from the LNB, and get a new cable going directly to the PVR from the LNB .... and then I must just add a "heartbeat" cable between the 2 decoders from RF out from PVR to RF in on 1131 ....

I don't need to see what is on the PVR from the bedroom or vica versa, it is purely for when my girlfriend wants to watch Jerseylicious in the living room so I can watch Discovery in the room hahaha I only wanto record and view what I have recorded in the living room ....

Just for interest sake, what is the difference between RG6 and RG6U cable?
Old 2012-05-10 , 10:46
Technical Myriad

No a SATCR with 2 legacy ports has 3 ports in all, 1 SATCR and 2 normal ports.

RG6 == normal indoor cable, RG6U = UV protected cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
Thank you Geoff

I meant using a SatCr LNB with 2 ports (one SatCR port to go to the PVR in living room and one Universal port that goes to 1131 in bedroom). Hope this is correct? I am avoiding splitters in this case.

My current cable is only a few months old so will use the existing one directly to the 1131 in the bedroom from the LNB, and get a new cable going directly to the PVR from the LNB .... and then I must just add a "heartbeat" cable between the 2 decoders from RF out from PVR to RF in on 1131 ....

I don't need to see what is on the PVR from the bedroom or vica versa, it is purely for when my girlfriend wants to watch Jerseylicious in the living room so I can watch Discovery in the room hahaha I only wanto record and view what I have recorded in the living room ....

Just for interest sake, what is the difference between RG6 and RG6U cable?
Old 2012-05-16 , 22:52
Still listens to the wireless

One day we might all understand that MC priority is not the customer. The customer request is simple... take an existing installation and add a new decoder to it... ie add an HD to an existing Std PVR for instance... where the customer can currently view 2 channels and change one of them or both from the bedroom. So in essence adding a new DH should be as easy as taking the RF out signal from the new HD decoder, into the RF In on the STD PVR, and leave the existing installation exactly as it was before. Ideally the new channel should show in the bedroom and you should be able to change the new channel from the bedroom as well. Over and above that the 2 decoders should work properly in the XtraView enviroment, but this is all pie in the sky. MC cannot get this platform stable and sooner or latter (probably sooner) you will loose communication,.. and guess what... everyone will be to blame except MC.
Old 2012-05-16 , 23:21
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helder View Post
One day we might all understand that MC priority is not the customer. The customer request is simple... take an existing installation and add a new decoder to it... ie add an HD to an existing Std PVR for instance... where the customer can currently view 2 channels and change one of them or both from the bedroom. So in essence adding a new DH should be as easy as taking the RF out signal from the new HD decoder, into the RF In on the STD PVR, and leave the existing installation exactly as it was before. Ideally the new channel should show in the bedroom and you should be able to change the new channel from the bedroom as well. Over and above that the 2 decoders should work properly in the XtraView enviroment, but this is all pie in the sky. MC cannot get this platform stable and sooner or latter (probably sooner) you will loose communication,.. and guess what... everyone will be to blame except MC.
Well it is actually almost as easy as that ----

There are just a few rules to follow, which are listed in the installation manual.

The physical install IS the easy part, the difficult prt is to get users to at least a little bit of the manual before doing anything.