Old 2012-06-05 , 08:10
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynoo View Post
Ive been away for quite a while.

Im going to do the upgrade, as spoken about in earlier posts, when finances allow - before the end of this year. IE. One dish feeding first a PVR decoder (View 1 and record 1) and then to another viewing point (just view 1).

Obviously I am going to need to buy a PVR decoder, is the one called HD PVR 2P the one I need?

With regards to the other decoder (the second tv) what decoder do I need, for previous posts it seems to be a 1131 decoder. I have a DSD 990 lying around waiting to be used, can I use it with this setup?

Currently I have a dualview decoder with 2 feeds coming from the dish. I want to change the location where the first decoder gets signal. My viewing environments are setup like so at the moment - a twin LNB brings the signal from the dish to the dualview decoder in the lounge, there it is split into TV! and TV2, TV1 plays on the lounge TV and is split by a video recoder to a bedroom (bedroom 1), the signal for TV2 goes directly from the dualview decoder to a bedroom (bedroom 2).

I want the entry point of the signal to be in bedroom 2 (1 signal to a PVR (View 1 and record 1)) and the other signal to go to the lounge to be split to bedroom 1 (normal decoder, no recording). Im not sure how this setup works - does one signal go to the PVR and the other to the other decoder or do both signals need to travel to the PVR before they are split and then one goes to the other decoder?

My questions:

How many signals will I need?
--If I need more than 2 signals (current dualview arrangement) then I will have to rethink this setup (additional cost involved).--
How far can a decoder be from the dish installation?
--Currently the dualview decoder is located about 10 m from the dish. In the new setup the decoder will be located about 30 m from the dish.--
Can I use the DSD 990 decoder in place of a 1131 decoder in bedroom 1?
Do I need a HD PVR 2P decoder for bedroom 2?

Since I live about 200kms from the nearest city (where I can get parts for a DSTV installation) I would like to know what I need beforehand. Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Using an HDPVR 2P and 1131 the set-up will be in this way: 2 cables from the twin LNB to a MS (multi-switch), 2 cables from the MS to the PVR, 1 cable from the MS to the 1131 and lastly 1 cable (HB) between the decoders on RF in and out.
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+
Old 2012-06-05 , 11:08
Still gets up to change channels

THank you for your help. Please help me clarify the following.

Can I use a DSD 990 in place of the 1131 decoder?

I subscribe to DSTV compact - is this available for PVR/Dualview?

Am I right in saying that only one subscription to DSTV is needed with the PVR/Extraview access fee (R65))?

Where do I buy a multiswitch and what is the expected cost?

You said -
"and lastly 1 cable (HB) between the decoders on RF in and out"
Please explain further on the RF connection between the decoders. I do not have back panel diagrams of the needed decoders in front of me.

Thankyou

Last edited by nickynoo; 2012-06-05 at 11:08. . Reason: Word correction
Old 2012-06-05 , 15:24

Question

Do I understand this correctly?

What I need:
A HD PVR 2P
A 1131 decoder
A multiswitch
A PVR subscription
cables

At the moment I am using a dualview decoder with a DSTV compact subscription and Xtraview (a total of R325 per month). My subscription price will not change (unless DSTV raise thier prices).

The 2 feeds will come from the twin LNB to the Multiswitch (MS), the MS will split the signal into 3 inputs, 2 inputs will go to the PVR and 1 input will go to the 1131 decoder. A RF cable will go from RF OUT to RF OUT on the decoders for a heartbeat. You said (sorry I dont know how to use the quotation thingy on the forum) "The norm is for the two decoders to be connected RF OUT to RF OUT with a T-piece and the leg of the TV piece going to a splitter which goes to the TVs" Im not sure what you mean by the leg going to a splitter which goes to the TVs.

Also I would like know if it will be possible to change the 1131 decoder at a later date to a PVR decoder - by having 4 outputs coming from the MS?
Old 2012-06-05 , 16:27

What is the difference in 1131 and 3U decoders - price? functions?

Your diagram helped alot but I have a question:
At the bottom of your diagram you have the 2 TVs
Am I to understand that after the RF signal has been split that it is plugged into the RF input of each of the respective TVs

The upgrading to from a 1131 to a PVR decoder:
Does there need to be the same HB setup used for the upgrade as is used with the HDPVR and 1131 scenario?

The splitter splitting the RF OUT signal - any type of splitter?
Old 2012-06-05 , 17:30
Technical Myriad

What is the difference in 1131 and 3U decoders - price? functions?

The price is about the same. The new decoder is the replacement for the 1131 called the 1132. Both are UEC decoders, same functionality but I think the 3 U is more "future proof? ? Anyone know for sure??

Your diagram helped alot but I have a question:
At the bottom of your diagram you have the 2 TVs
Am I to understand that after the RF signal has been split that it is plugged into the RF input of each of the respective TVs

Yes

The upgrading to from a 1131 to a PVR decoder:
Does there need to be the same HB setup used for the upgrade as is used with the HDPVR and 1131 scenario?

Yes, except if you go to the 2P, you need 2 feeds from the MS

The splitter splitting the RF OUT signal - any type of splitter?

NO! IF you want to use TVLINK eyes, THEN the splitter must be an active SLX type splitter compatible with MCs tvlink eyes.

IF you use ordinary splitters, it is preferable to use splitters spec'd for 5 - 1000 MHz. IF you wnat to try and use tvlink eyes with this splitter make sure it has DC PASS on the ports used with tvlink eyes( red lines on the label)

IF the cables to the distant TVs are long these el cheapo splitter may give problems and also the HB signal may be adversely affected, hence why it is best to use SLX splitters.
Old 2012-06-05 , 17:36

Thanx for all the clarification.
Old 2012-06-06 , 13:32

Im a little confused with the RF OUT cable setup for the HB.

On the PVR setup
The TV is connected to the PVR by a HDMI cable
The RF OUT on the PVR - a RF cable connects to the RF IN of the TV

On the other TV setup
The TV is connected to the 1131 or 1132 by a RF cable

Where does the splitter come in? Is there a cable that needs to connect both RF OUTs on the decoders, is that where the splitter is - combining the signal from the PVR (the HB) and the output from the 1131?

Please explain this to me, Im very lost. As I understand it the heartbeat needs to reach each decoder - the HB cannot travel along the inputs because they lead to the dish and are not connected.
LNB SPLITTER
! ! !
MS V
TV---PVR --------------!! !--------------------1131---TV
! !----------------! !
!-------------------------------------------------------!

Is this the correct setup?
Old 2012-06-06 , 13:36

I hope u can understand my diagram - this forum doesnt like spaces.

Last edited by nickynoo; 2012-06-06 at 14:20. .
Old 2012-06-06 , 13:40

.....................................lnb.......... ......................... Splitter
.......................................! ! ............................................!
......................................ms ..........................................v
tv---pvr --------------!! !--------------------1131---tv
!............! !----------------! !.......................................!
!-------------------------------------------------------!
Old 2012-06-06 , 14:19
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

@nickynoo- here is a simple connection. Connect 2 cables from the twin LNB to a 2x4 MS. 2 cables from the MS to your HDPVR. 1 cable from the MS to your 1131 or 1132. 1 cable from RF IN on the PVR to RF OUT 1131 or 1132. This a simplest connection for beginners and forget about splitters & tv eyes of this world. You'll learn about them after getting this correct.
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+