Forum > DStv Products > Standard decoder > Technical Installation Guide - Signal Splitting and Combining
Old 2009-02-12 , 09:21
Administrator

Default Technical Installation Guide - Signal Splitting and Combining

This is the Technical Installation Guide - Signal Splitting and Combining. Click below to download the pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf techguide_splitting_combining_v1.1.pdf (314.9 KB, 1999 views)
Old 2009-02-12 , 10:56
Technical Myriad

Congratulations MC!

(1) The document is clear and precise and should go a long way to clearing up some of the installation issues that arise at the moment. I suggest that ALL accreditted installers should be "forced" to prove that their staff have all read this document!

(2) At least now a user is able to verify and confirm, what installers are installing and that the installations are using proper components.

(3) The SD PVR requires the activation of the TVLINK for the heartbeat circuitry to be activated. Is there any intention to correct this in future SD software releases?

(4) The diagram in the example is really good. I would like to suggest that a few arrows showing how the heartbeat and return signals flow would complete the picture. In the example the HD is the Primary and the SD is the secondary. Adding this may help to re-inforce this also.

(5) The TVLINK overload error message only appears on some installations, and without a detailed analysis of those installs it is difficult to find out why. The SD PVR seems to be able to deliver more power than the HD PVR when used with TVLINK eyes. Is there a known issue with the HD PVR dragging down the TVLINK power when used with T pieces iso combiners?

(6) No one seems to recommend or even suggest that active splitters make use of a separate power supply iso relying on the decoders to power remote TVLINKs. Is there a reason why MC does not recommend that option? Of course this then will require that the DC power signals are blocked using DC blocks. This is how my install works, where I power the TVLINK eyes from power drawn from the active splitter instead.

(7 I would now like to suggest that the next document should be one that addresses the correct way to install LNB and MS connections!

Last edited by Geoff D; 2009-02-12 at 11:10. .
Old 2009-02-12 , 16:23
MultiChoice

Thanks Geoff - I'll update the diagram in the example as per your suggestion.

We are not aware of the HD pulling the tvlink power down - but I will have a look.

I am running 2 tv eyes and a (genuine) tvlink 4-way splitter off my SD PVR (for almost 3 years now) without power issues, so I have not really had use for an external power supply yet - but I agree that it would take some load off the decoder and may actually improve performance of the eyes (as the external input voltage is usually 12V instead of 9V, so the power to the eyes may be slightly higher)

I'll add something to that effect as well.
Old 2009-02-12 , 16:54
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Are Multichoice recommending the use of a passive combiner (splitter) instead of a T piece for connecting 2 pvr decoders for xtraview or is there no preference?

Last edited by gambit; 2009-02-12 at 16:59. .
Old 2009-02-13 , 09:21
MultiChoice

Both have been used successfully.
Personally, I prefer using a splitter.
Old 2009-04-07 , 11:52
Still listens to the wireless

Default splitter query

Hiya
1) Can I use a Passive 2 way splitter at the wall, to split the signal coming from the dish, so that I may then plug into 2 decoders?

2) Is the SAME type of wire used for the LNB (signal coming from dish) and the RF cables? Because the "holes" on the back of the decoder look the same for LNB and RF.

help
Old 2009-04-07 , 11:57
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMatterKitty View Post
Hiya
1) Can I use a Passive 2 way splitter at the wall, to split the signal coming from the dish, so that I may then plug into 2 decoders?

2) Is the SAME type of wire used for the LNB (signal coming from dish) and the RF cables? Because the "holes" on the back of the decoder look the same for LNB and RF.

help
(1) NO you cannot simply split the signal from the antenna to two decoders! as both decoders will want to try to control the LNB! so that option is out!

(3) yes the cables are the same BUT beware of buying ready made off cables from just anywhere. Go to a proper supplier such as space TV for advice first

(a) Do you live in a complex?
(b) what decoder do you ahve at the moment, what are you planning to add?
Old 2009-06-14 , 10:33
Still gets up to change channels

We've found that any PVR provides enough power to run either a single tv link or 1st active splitter i.e. SLX2 of SLX4. In cases where the customer needs to change channels on more than 5 televisions (including the one at the decoder), we install a second active splitter with external power supply, since the PVR only provides enough power to run a single active splitter. Although a second might work for a while, the DC disintegrates over a period of time.
In complex installations with more than one active splitter, it is of utmost importance to use proper pure copper cable with a high braid count!
Old 2009-06-17 , 15:56
Still listens to the wireless

Default Error downloading tech installation guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nicholas View Post
This is the Technical Installation Guide - Signal Splitting and Combining. Click below to download the pdf.
There seems to be something wrong with this download. I get and error when trying to open it. Please
Old 2009-11-10 , 08:35
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nicholas View Post
Hi,
Q1. i have the Dual View decoder and have 4 tv's in my house. I connected the main tv and split the 2 tv's signal with a passive splitter. i bought my daughter a tv and want to know if i can connect this tv as well.

Q2. Should i buy another decoder and will i be able to connect this to my existing dish?