Old 2012-01-25 , 10:22
Still listens to the wireless

Unhappy Frequency of DStv ads

Does anyone else have a problem with the mindless frequency of DStv ads with which we are bombarded ad nauseam?

I've been a subscriber to MNet then DStv for 30 years and have had to endure so many thousands of ads for a service to which I am already subscribing! Having been in the marketing and advertising profession for many years, I am surprised that DStv brand management does not know that needless and mindless frequency of advertising can actually damage brands.

I am one such DStv customer. I love the product but abhor the brand image to which I am subjected on a daily basis.

The creative content of such over-repeated advertising is another matter. It's the same creative strategy (if it can be called that) over and over again. Surely there is more to DStv than quick-cuts of bodies gyrating to music? DStv is a great product that deserves "so much more".

I have now reached the stage where I switch channels whenever such DStv advertising appears. Mercifully these ads are not yet simultaneous across all channels.
Old 2012-01-25 , 10:41
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygoodboy View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the mindless frequency of DStv ads with which we are bombarded ad nauseam?

I've been a subscriber to MNet then DStv for 30 years and have had to endure so many thousands of ads for a service to which I am already subscribing! Having been in the marketing and advertising profession for many years, I am surprised that DStv brand management does not know that needless and mindless frequency of advertising can actually damage brands.

I am one such DStv customer. I love the product but abhor the brand image to which I am subjected on a daily basis.

The creative content of such over-repeated advertising is another matter. It's the same creative strategy (if it can be called that) over and over again. Surely there is more to DStv than quick-cuts of bodies gyrating to music? DStv is a great product that deserves "so much more".

I have now reached the stage where I switch channels whenever such DStv advertising appears. Mercifully these ads are not yet simultaneous across all channels.
Hi and Welcome to the forum

As a subscriber I asked the same question and came to the following conclusion:

1. DSTV is not only available in homes but in pubs, resturants, hotels, hospitals, guest house, shops etc, so it is to brand it to those watching outside of their home.
2. People love to know the shows coming up and if a show is left out of the promo people on the forum get VERY upset. Often people miss a promo with a show, even though the promo is showing a million times (Well feels like it).
3. DSTV have a lot of advertising space to fill across channels and the decline in economy has had less outside people fill the space. This then needs to time to be filled. My personal will be to let small business like mine who cannot afford (or even dream) of TV advertising campaign to be able to receive a VERY discounted package for first timers/small business - another subject though and would be a thread hijack.

G
Old 2012-01-25 , 11:01

Default Frequency of DStv ads

Thank you gwalker for your reply and the kind welcome to the forum.

I had realised your point 1 - the ads reaching potential subscribers in pubs, taverns, shops etc.
So these ads are pursuing new customers, but at what cost to loyal customers of 30 years standing? My reward for loyalty is over-the-shoulder viewing of DStv's new customer strategy?
I don't buy that for one moment, I'm afraid.

Regards,

verygoodboy
Old 2012-01-26 , 09:20
Knows how to use a remote

I don't know how this will fly with MC.

I wish some of the fillers could be replaced with High Quality "free" content.
Such as the stuff found on Vimeo. I am sure the owners of those videos would jump at the opportunity to have their work aired.

Example:
http://vimeo.com/35396305
Old 2012-01-26 , 09:31

That's a great suggestion Nisho! So much more worthwhile than endless repeats of DStv promos. I hope someone at DStv is listening/reading...
Old 2012-01-26 , 12:09
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygoodboy View Post
That's a great suggestion Nisho! So much more worthwhile than endless repeats of DStv promos. I hope someone at DStv is listening/reading...
I hope so too, any chance of getting MC to comment on the viability such a sugestion?
Old 2012-01-26 , 13:09

Would suggest it needs to go higher Nisho - with no disrespect to MC intended.
Your suggestion is in the realm of CSR (corporate social responsibilty) and would need to be approved and driven by whoever is responsible for CSR within Multi Choice/Naspers.