View Poll Results: Do you frequently struggle when rewinding, forwarding or pausing on a PVR remote?
Too damn often! 16 64.00%
Quite often 4 16.00%
Sometimes 1 4.00%
Hardly ever 2 8.00%
Never 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-25 , 00:03
Still listens to the wireless

Angry PVR remote control fail

I wonder if anyone at DSTV have ever tried to pause, play, rewind or (worse) forward anything on a PVR remote control. I doubt it because if they had they would never have allowed such flawed and defective design features to have been included in the final product.

Half the time when I try to rewind either:
1. Nothing happens so I release and try again, at which time either;
a) it rewinds 30 minutes in a second or
b) it rewinds almost as slow as watching live or
c) it corrupts the cached video.
d) it may actually work like you expect it to.
It is more an art than a science and I really have to want to see something
I may have missed to attempt such a high risk maneuver especially if
you've been on pause for a phone call. If it fails you may end up at the
beginning of the show where you then have to hold forward down for twenty minutes to reach where you were or give up and change channels and accept missing the paused time, or; it becomes corrupted and you change channel and missed the paused time.
Most frustrating is when you rewind and nothing happens and the timer stays on -00:00:00 and then after a few seconds jumps to -00:14:21

The forward has problems with runaway acceleration and can eat through Cached video in a quarter of the time or less that it took to rewind it!

But the single Worst flaw and most aggravating thing must be when you rewind Just a few seconds and then release the button ... THE DAM THING GOES BACK TO WHERE YOU STARTED even though you can see the Video rewind. Unless you go further back than you would like it will do this over and over and over if you count for the same amount of time. Back to where you were in an instant.
The damn remote has a life of its own. I often struggle to rewind because nothing happens sometimes and then you accidentally sit on the damn thing another time and it rewinds your show even thoughYou are almost totally covering it and it is not even facing the decoder!,, this is particularly frustrating when you Think of the times you point at point-blank-range to rewind and it does nothing till you release the button and try again!

In short, the PVR Rewind and forward need a redesign because they are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Sometimes when trying to push down for pause you inadvertently forward.

I must have destroyed a half dozen remotes after smashing them to pieces due to the frustration. DSTV fix this ****!
Old 2012-01-25 , 07:35
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuave View Post
I wonder if anyone at DSTV have ever tried to pause, play, rewind or (worse) forward anything on a PVR remote control. I doubt it because if they had they would never have allowed such flawed and defective design features to have been included in the final product.

Half the time when I try to rewind either:
1. Nothing happens so I release and try again, at which time either;
a) it rewinds 30 minutes in a second or
b) it rewinds almost as slow as watching live or
c) it corrupts the cached video.
d) it may actually work like you expect it to.
It is more an art than a science and I really have to want to see something
I may have missed to attempt such a high risk maneuver especially if
you've been on pause for a phone call. If it fails you may end up at the
beginning of the show where you then have to hold forward down for twenty minutes to reach where you were or give up and change channels and accept missing the paused time, or; it becomes corrupted and you change channel and missed the paused time.
Most frustrating is when you rewind and nothing happens and the timer stays on -00:00:00 and then after a few seconds jumps to -00:14:21

The forward has problems with runaway acceleration and can eat through Cached video in a quarter of the time or less that it took to rewind it!

But the single Worst flaw and most aggravating thing must be when you rewind Just a few seconds and then release the button ... THE DAM THING GOES BACK TO WHERE YOU STARTED even though you can see the Video rewind. Unless you go further back than you would like it will do this over and over and over if you count for the same amount of time. Back to where you were in an instant.
The damn remote has a life of its own. I often struggle to rewind because nothing happens sometimes and then you accidentally sit on the damn thing another time and it rewinds your show even thoughYou are almost totally covering it and it is not even facing the decoder!,, this is particularly frustrating when you Think of the times you point at point-blank-range to rewind and it does nothing till you release the button and try again!

In short, the PVR Rewind and forward need a redesign because they are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Sometimes when trying to push down for pause you inadvertently forward.

I must have destroyed a half dozen remotes after smashing them to pieces due to the frustration. DSTV fix this ****!
Welcome

This is an old problem nicked named trick mode runaway.
It is a software issue but also others have reported better control with different remote versions.

MC have a software fx build in progress and we hope it addresses this as the last build has badly affected trick mode runaway.

Refer to the remote history which has interesting design concepts around the buttons and A4 remote that is now toggle less, so MC have addressed the remote deign which Yu demanded they do. http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=14515

G
Old 2012-01-25 , 09:25
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuave View Post
We have lived with this problem on and off since day one.

Yes some of the remote models appear or seem to be worse than others, BUT the key fault is with the s/w on the decoder itself.

In most cases it is NOT the remote.

One of the "tricks" we have all learnt over the years is to:

[Pause], then [FF, REW, etc], [Pause], [unpause] as this gives the s/w time to catchup with where you are and reduces, but does NOT eliminate the problem.

Also on some shows ( especially those with multiple sound channels, and higher quality) the problem is worse. I find that using the slowest Rewind and FF speed in the end leads to less frustration as well.

A new issue is when you try and FF and REW, a recording will terminate and dump you back to the playlist, when you have to resume playout. Sometimes you will find that the "resume" point has not been stored and you then need to start again

On the SD PVR, one could put in a place mark so that was another way around the problem, (in the buffer), but on the HD PVRs one cannot insert placemarks in the buffer, only on recordings.

These "operational inconsistencies" have always dumfounded most of us involved in software -- as it would NOT be tolerated in our environments, ever.

We have had to over the years put up with just about every excuse MC can come up with why this cannot be fixed, hence why you see so few old timers complain about this --- Our heads are so bruised from being banged against the wall already ------

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-01-25 at 09:31. .
Old 2012-01-25 , 09:56
Changes remote batteries daily

sorry.....!!
wrong answer given!

Never replaced a remote..... thought it was the question (thread Topic)

answer on the poll....ALWAYS....
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (4:3 Pillar Box)
Audio Output: Variable
Sony V Series TV with 4x HDMI Inputs
Old 2012-01-25 , 11:30
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerB View Post
sorry.....!!
wrong answer given!

Never replaced a remote..... thought it was the question (thread Topic)

answer on the poll....ALWAYS....
Ja agree "always" is a more accurate reflection --- "too damn often" does not describe the level of frustration this issue causes
Old 2012-01-25 , 22:34
Changes remote batteries daily

Did not really consider the question fully (or read the thread) before clicking 'quite often'; it actailly equates to 'too often' as this is a very frustrating issue even when occurring only occasionally. cheers, K.
Old 2012-01-26 , 09:07
Technical Myriad

Last night trying to view CSI Miami was a typical example. EVERY single FF through an advert/insert, caused the decoder to terminate the playback of the recording, back to playlist and the Resume point was not stored. This meant starting the recording from scratch, and trying to very gingerly get back to the resume point.

The only way we managed to view this recording was to insert a place marker before FF the inserts.
Old 2012-01-26 , 09:35
Has to hide the DStv remote from the little one.

or with mine, every time( ok ok , 6/10 times) i tap ff, it runs ahead for about 1 and a half minutes..
Old 2012-01-26 , 09:54
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSI Miami is available, ad-free, on CatchUp .....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2012-01-26 , 18:42
Still listens to the wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
We have lived with this problem on and off since day one.

Yes some of the remote models appear or seem to be worse than others, BUT the key fault is with the s/w on the decoder itself.

In most cases it is NOT the remote.

One of the "tricks" we have all learnt over the years is to:

[Pause], then [FF, REW, etc], [Pause], [unpause] as this gives the s/w time to catchup with where you are and reduces, but does NOT eliminate the problem.

Also on some shows ( especially those with multiple sound channels, and higher quality) the problem is worse. I find that using the slowest Rewind and FF speed in the end leads to less frustration as well.

A new issue is when you try and FF and REW, a recording will terminate and dump you back to the playlist, when you have to resume playout. Sometimes you will find that the "resume" point has not been stored and you then need to start again

On the SD PVR, one could put in a place mark so that was another way around the problem, (in the buffer), but on the HD PVRs one cannot insert placemarks in the buffer, only on recordings.

These "operational inconsistencies" have always dumfounded most of us involved in software -- as it would NOT be tolerated in our environments, ever.

We have had to over the years put up with just about every excuse MC can come up with why this cannot be fixed, hence why you see so few old timers complain about this --- Our heads are so bruised from being banged against the wall already ------
Geoff D I fully agree with you being a software developer myself. The behavior manifested is very similar to streaming video or FF and RW functions on players or devices with low processing power. While this MC definitely have software issues I feel that their hardware (in terms of processing power) may also not be up to scratch.

Tags
pvr, pvr remote