Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > Installation > Technical info: Dual view installation
Old 2011-12-02 , 16:36
Still listens to the wireless

Question Technical info: Dual view installation

My present DSTV installation set-up is dual view, with a DSD 1110(+2) primary decoder and a HD PVR secondary decoder, with a SAT CR twin LNB. The primary decoder is also used as a single view at a different location.
My questions are:
1. Is there a twin LNB available with HD capacity on both circuits? If not, is such a development envisaged and if so, when? The alternative of installing separate dishes does seem technically out-dated.
2. If the response to no 1 is negative, can the present primary decoder (1110) be replaced with a second HD PVR decoder with non HD viewing on that circuit? The alternative of switching the present primary and secondary decoders is not practical in the existing set-up. A second HD PVR as primary decoder would however enable HD viewing and programme recording at the second location.
Thank you. I await your response.
Old 2011-12-03 , 09:28
Knows how to use a remote

If you wish to replace the DSD with a 2P HD PVR, you can use a SAT-Cr II.

Have a look at the 2nd example on this page.

Last edited by HennieP; 2011-12-03 at 09:32. .
Old 2011-12-03 , 09:31
Changes remote batteries daily

Hi Emanuel and welcome to the forum,

Are the decoders in the same room?

A twin LNB can be hooked up to either a 2x4 or 2x6 mutliswitch which can split the twin LNB output to either 4 or 6 outputs. For two Pace 2 P decoders, you will need a 2x4 MS.

Your alternatives are to use a quad LNB (4 LNB feeds) or a SATCR LNB with two legacy ports instead of just the one as you currently seem to have. I don't know too much about LNBs, so you would be better off talking to a reputable installer or wait for someone else to respond. If the decoders are quite a distance apart, it would indeed be best to get a second dish to compensate for signal loss over the distance.

The HDPVRs are not designed to operate with a single LNB input.
The LNB input does not determine HD capability. The Pace 2P just needs two inputs - one for live TV and the second for recording + EPG info + BoxOffice/OnDemand downloads.

On a side note:
Remember that you can't simply replace the 1110 decoder with another under the same Xtraview setup. You will have to get the call centre to deactivate the current Xtraview setup and reactivate it with the old HDPVR and the new one.

31cm B&W TV

SABC 1 only, weather permitting

Quote:
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Old 2011-12-03 , 09:36

You can use a SAT CR with two legacy ports - See the 2nd example on this page.
Old 2011-12-03 , 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
...On a side note:
Remember that you can't simply replace the 1110 decoder with another under the same Xtraview setup. You will have to get the call centre to deactivate the current Xtraview setup and reactivate it with the old HDPVR and the new one.
I might be mistaken, but I was recently told this is no longer a requirement - deactivating while the decoders are connected. Can anyone confirm?

(No problem JG)
Old 2011-12-03 , 12:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennieP View Post
I might be mistaken, but I was recently told this is no longer a requirement - deactivating while the decoders are connected. Can anyone confirm?

(No problem JG)
NO you must break the link between the 2 existing decoders before activating a new pairing and it is better to do this when the 2 old decoders are still in place as you can then confirm that the 2 decoders now operate independently of each other.

Of course it is possible for MC to break the link but generally, the normal call centre people struggle with this operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
My present DSTV installation set-up is dual view, with a DSD 1110(+2) primary decoder and a HD PVR secondary decoder, with a SAT CR twin LNB. The primary decoder is also used as a single view at a different location.
My questions are:
1. Is there a twin LNB available with HD capacity on both circuits? If not, is such a development envisaged and if so, when? The alternative of installing separate dishes does seem technically out-dated.
2. If the response to no 1 is negative, can the present primary decoder (1110) be replaced with a second HD PVR decoder with non HD viewing on that circuit? The alternative of switching the present primary and secondary decoders is not practical in the existing set-up. A second HD PVR as primary decoder would however enable HD viewing and programme recording at the second location.
Thank you. I await your response.
(1) LNBs have no effect on the HD capability ---- it is the decoder that determines if it is able to decode HD signals.
(2) The decision to use 2 antennas is about the distance needed to run RF cables from a single antenna position to each decoder point and is preferable when the cable distances require it.
(3) The SATCR with 2 legacy ports ( what you are calling a SATCR TWIN) can be used to feed two HD PVRs, where one decoder uses the SATCR connection and the other uses both legacy ports.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2011-12-06 at 23:44. .
Old 2011-12-03 , 12:45
Still listens to the wireless

Default Manie

Thank you for your prompt response. You have been most helpful.
Old 2011-12-05 , 09:05
MultiChoice

I've moved this thread over to the installation section, as it has nothing to do with General and everything with *ahem* installations.