Forum > DStv Products > XtraView > XtraView - Waiting for Communication from Primary Decoder
Old 2011-10-31 , 15:26
Still listens to the wireless

Question XtraView - Waiting for Communication from Primary Decoder

I have HD PVR as the primary decoder set up in the lounge, a SD PVR as the secondary decoder set up in the main bedroom, with the second channel on the SD PVR in the kids room. Both are set to RF out and I do not have a TVlink eye but a remote blaster (for the SD PVR only), there is a direct HB cable from one decoder to the other.

This set up has been working for months, however for the last 2-3 weeks, I have been getting a message "waiting for communication from Primary Decoder", try the whole resetting business - nothing!! Next day its back on and works for a few hrs, then goes off again, this is happening on a daily basis, we are busy watching TV and the next thing up pops the message.

I have phoned MC countless times, checked & rechecked settings!! When I phoned on Saturday, we did an additional step on the SD PVR, we checked the signal quality/strength which was 98 & 100%. I was told that was fine & they had run out of options and I must take the machines in for testing, while I was being told this, I had gone to the lounge to check the signal strength there (curiosity), I noticed that the HD PVR was 98 & 90%, when I told MC this, all of a sudden this was the problem!! Over the rest of the weekend I kept an eye on the signal, & to be honest it looks as though this might be true, because when the signal strength on the HD PVR was at 100% the XtraView worked! 90% & it was off.

So I phoned the accredited company that installed the XtraView & they have told me that this is not possible, the signal strength has no impact on the HB cable, I phoned another dealership (second opinion & all that), & they said the same thing, their opinion was that the HD Decoder was faulty, sending an intermittent signal, that I should bring both machines in to be tested (they would set it up for the whole day!!).

I am hoping someone could advise if they have had the same kind of problem & how (if) they have managed to solve it.

Last edited by asdps1974; 2011-10-31 at 15:32. .
Old 2011-10-31 , 15:34
Changes remote batteries daily

Its quite possible that one of the RF ports on either of the decoders are failing in one way or another.
once thing to check is on the front panel of the SD PVR, you will see a green light flash every minute or so, when the heart beat takes place, you will probably also see a red light from time to time, that i a failed heart beat. keep an eye on those lights.

I too have a HD and SD PVR, my HB Cable is about 60cm long, and I get probably 1 failure in 5
Old 2011-10-31 , 15:38
Changes remote batteries daily

Always recommended to maintain signal %’s in the upper nineties. SDpvrs are also known to be highly sensitive especially in combination with extra-view. Main hindrances being temperature and IR interference. Have a search in the threads for related trouble shooting ideas.

give it all you got today
Old 2011-11-02 , 08:01
MultiChoice

The HB (and TV eye) receiver on the SD PVR has a tendency to retire before most of the other components, so in this case the call centre may be correct in asking for a check on the SD. The signal strength on the HD has no effect on the heartbeat unless it is so bad that you don't have a picture.
Old 2011-11-06 , 20:00
Still gets up to change channels

Default Xtraview

The same thing is happening on my decoders. Having to reboot at least twice a day. This is a Mnet problem not our hardware.
Old 2011-11-06 , 20:33
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
The same thing is happening on my decoders. Having to reboot at least twice a day. This is a Mnet problem not our hardware.

HAH? MNet? MNet is just a content provider. Maybe Multichoice.
The issue is either an install issue or failure of your hardware.

G
Old 2011-11-06 , 22:50

Default Not so sure

Ja sorry Multichoice. Point is my hardware has been working fine for 2 years and I have had no problems with the heart beat. How come it runs for 8 - 9 hours then bombs ??
Old 2011-11-06 , 23:18
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
Ja sorry Multichoice. Point is my hardware has been working fine for 2 years and I have had no problems with the heart beat. How come it runs for 8 - 9 hours then bombs ??
There are many things that affect heartbeat.

Please provide details of hardware and setup.

Hardware does fail and C4 points out that the SDPVR RF circuitary is heat sensitive and fails. Dirty fans or failed fans. Power issues can all cause HW to fail.

G
Old 2011-11-07 , 07:08

Default SD-HD Connection

I Have an original SD PVR connected to a HD PVR these decoders are about 1 meter apart. As I said they have been working like this for about 2 years now. Last night I reset both at about 11:00pm and they are both running fine. The HD is set to RF IN and the SD to RF out. You can't change the setting on the SD as it is grey'd out.
Old 2011-11-07 , 10:20
Still listens to the wireless

From going off on a daily basis, this past week it has not gone off once!! I am not convinced that is a hardware problem, as to other interferences? I have not changed anything, taped up anything or moved anything since I first started having the "Waiting for Communication" message.

So I am still in the dark as to what could have been causing this.
Tags
intermittent heartbeat, waiting for communication, xtrview