Forum > DStv Products > XtraView > Waiting for communication from primary decoder
Old 2009-01-19 , 09:31
Still gets up to change channels

Default Waiting for communication from primary decoder

Greetings, I am experiencing a major problem that no one at the MC call centre is able to help me with. I have a 1110/ HDPVR xtraview installation with the 1110 set as the Primary and the HDPVR as the secondary. Both decoders and televisions are in the same room and the heartbeat cable is no more than 1meter long. Ever since the activation of xtraview, viewing on the secondary decoder has been interrupted intermittently ( picture freezes) and an error message stating " waiting for communication from primary decoder" comes up. YES! I have tried different heartbeat cables with the same result . The error clears after about 2 mins but the problem reappears a few minutes later( between 10 to 15 mins apart). Called MC 3 times, asked me to check connection and settings. Changed heartbeat cable. Then they said could be interference on the RF from other equipment so I disconnected every other RF cable besides the heartbeat cable but the problem still persists.

When I look at the Xtraview screens on the menu of both decoders. It seems that the secondary sees the heartbeat signal for a while but then doesnt see it. Please help!. I cannot schedule any recordings or watch HDTV.
Old 2009-01-19 , 09:50
MultiChoice

I take it the decoders are connected directly and the comms ports are set correctly?
Also - you may be getting interference from your plasma that could be interfering with your heartbeat. (The junk IR pollution coming from the screen could be entering the decoder via front panel and corrupting the heartbeat) I suggest shielding the decoders and seeing if it makes a difference.

Lastly, it may be worth swapping the two around before we start looking at swapping the actual decoders.
Old 2009-01-19 , 09:58

Yes, the comms are set correctly. Would an LCD TV also give out that kind off interference?

Swop the 2 around? Are you talking about the making the HDPVR primary and the 1110 secondary? That wont work for me as I take the 1110 with me to my holiday home. I also noticed that the TV LINK option on the HDPVR menu is greyed out... is this normal?

Last edited by Ashton; 2009-01-19 at 10:07. . Reason: additional info
Old 2009-01-19 , 10:01
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
Lastly, it may be worth swapping the two around before we start looking at swapping the actual decoders.
By swopping the two around, you mane change the status of the HD to Primary and the 1110 to secondary? Can you do this without MC involvement?
Old 2009-01-19 , 10:02
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
By swopping the two around, you mean change the status of the HD to Primary and the 1110 to secondary? Can you do this without MC involvement?
Old 2009-01-19 , 16:34
Still listens to the wireless

Ashton,

Can you confirm, are you using TV-Link Eye's on the TV's? I had a very similar problem and it turned out to be the TV Links. Once you enable TV-Link on the Decoders and the TV Link eye's are not dropping the load over the RF cable enough, this results in the Heart-beat being interrupted and the message "Waiting for Communication from Primary". Will also sometimes see "TV-Link Overload".
TV Link Enabled is required to TX/RX the heart beat over the RF links, at the same time the power provided needs to be used - namely the TV Link Eyes, or DC Pass filters, etc.
Additionally as mentioned, try and cover the front panels on your Decoders and see if the problem persists.
Old 2009-01-19 , 16:58

Hi Negara, No, I am not using a TV link eye. I am using a remote blaster from the bedroom. In my lounge, I have a standard 74cm TV that my son uses and a 42" LCD. Today I have not turned on the LCD at all and viewing my HDPVR on the standard TV...the problem seems to have been solved. Now what do I do,? cant keep my LCD off or my decoders blocked all the time...how would I use the remote

If I moved my Primary decoder (1110) to the bedroom that only has a standard TV..would this solve the problem? or does the interference from the LCD also affect the seconday(HDPVR) as well?

Thanks for your help.
Old 2009-01-19 , 17:16
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
Hi Negara, No, I am not using a TV link eye. I am using a remote blaster from the bedroom. In my lounge, I have a standard 74cm TV that my son uses and a 42" LCD. Today I have not turned on the LCD at all and viewing my HDPVR on the standard TV...the problem seems to have been solved. Now what do I do,? cant keep my LCD off or my decoders blocked all the time...how would I use the remote

If I moved my Primary decoder (1110) to the bedroom that only has a standard TV..would this solve the problem? or does the interference from the LCD also affect the seconday(HDPVR) as well?

Thanks for your help.
Previous test showed that the 1110 are affected the most. Cover the IR of the 1110 in total and put relay commands on in the menu of the HD-PVR. Also put accept relay commands on the 1110 and see if this solves your problem.
Old 2009-01-19 , 17:19
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton View Post

Thanks for your help.
I can also recall that somebody spoke about the LCD Panels that have a Light setting that influences the IR. You should be able to put this off on your LCD. It transmits signals which influence the IR reception on the 1110.
Old 2009-01-20 , 07:58
MultiChoice

Interference on the HD should be less of a problem as it can differentiate between commands coming in the front panel and commands coming in via the RF cable. (The 1110 can't)

I think moving the 1110 to the bedroom is a good idea - you won't need the tvlink then either.