Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DSTV Compact channels VS TOP TV premium

Old 2011-02-17 , 18:15
Still gets up to change channels

Default DSTV Compact channels VS TOP TV premium

Hi fellow forumites im back after 8 months on Top TV.

Im glad to be back as i had a case 'the grass is greener on the other side'.

I went from DSTV premium(4 years) to Top TV and now back to Compact and the difference between Compact and Top Tv is HUGE.

I really got sick of TopTV's endless repeats and its far worse then DSTV's as shows got repeated approximately every 3 months to accommodate new subscribers, besides other repeats which were beyond normal for a satellite tv operator.

One day i was observing my wife whilst working on my PC and found her flicking aimless through the channels finding nothing new and eventually just switching off the telly.

Its ok for this to occur sometimes but it got to a point where we were only watching SABC3 because there was nothing that interested us(bar the Walking dead which is now finished and Cops).

I have an uncapped Internet connection which i had even with DSTV but on TOPTV almost all my viewing content came exclusively from the interwebz.

Being on Compact is vastly superior as my wife loves the series channel and BBC lifestyle as the shows are FAR more current and plentiful.

I enjoy ActionX and the Sony Max channel and feel stoked as Compact never had Animax(which Sony Max is alot like with regards to reality tv and movies)

Sport and local series like Idols and survivor are also important to me as a South African and these are essentials one cannot live without, so DSTV is justified vs Top TV.

I haven't jumped into alot of detail here, but i posted this just in case you thought of switching for a change...

I am seeing people getting TopTV for the wrong reasons and you will probably be disappointed if you feel that the change will be good due to repeats which are quite frankly timid compared with the competitor.

The most shocking and scary reason was the frighting bills i received from the competitor with me only receiving a monthly statement once.

Not to mention the numerous times i was called over the months due to them not receiving my EFT payments.

I had to resend all my EFT's every 3 months so that i didn't get prosecuted for non-payment

Im not typing this thread to slander the competition as competition is always a good thing.
They are new and expansion takes time........
However people can make up their own minds.

In my situation i found that you get what you pay for and if you had to pit these two competitive products together, Compact with its content beats the competitor hands down.

Anybody else have a similar experience?
Old 2011-02-18 , 10:35
Knows how to use a remote

I was wondering if it would be worth me taking the TopTV package for R159 a month while keeping the DSTV Compact (R232). That would add up to R391 which would be R138 cheaper than the DSTV Premium package of R529 (I dont watch sport on TV so dont need Supersport).

Would be interested Rickybobby7 if you think that there would be viewing value in that?
Old 2011-02-18 , 10:38
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Yes, I have exactly the same problem! I am a DSTV premium subscriber and I have watched everything on DSTV already, I either watched it on DSTV, or at a friends house (someone that buys the dvd's from america). I also resort to watching Sabc 2 everyday, I watch the repeats of Dragon ball z.

I think it might be best just to get uncapped internet
Old 2011-02-18 , 10:52

Sorry for you but I totally disagree. We have dstv premium as well as TT premium and I am more on TT then on dstv. No billing problems and we have 2 TT. dstv has billing problems as well and their repeats are really bad sometimes.
Old 2011-02-18 , 11:36
Banned

We have DStv Premium, and added TT without the extra movies & kids channels. What a load of mostly cheap nonsense - gave it up in a month (they won't let you turn off earlier).

I agree, they're new so give them a chance, and some tastes may even find good value with TT, but for now I would think most DStv viewers, on possibly any package at all, won't find it of comparitive or additional value.
Old 2011-02-18 , 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggles View Post
I was wondering if it would be worth me taking the TopTV package for R159 a month while keeping the DSTV Compact (R232). That would add up to R391 which would be R138 cheaper than the DSTV Premium package of R529 (I dont watch sport on TV so dont need Supersport).

Would be interested Rickybobby7 if you think that there would be viewing value in that?
If you would like to compliment your current offering with the R159 package, which i presume is the variety and the entertainment and knowledge bouquet, you will see value in the Discovery channels,and i reckon that you would be quite happy with that for a few months.

The movies on Top TV are best avoided, unless you like niche foreign films or old movies.

Cancelling your Multichoice subscription, which i did was a big mistake though.
Old 2011-02-20 , 20:21

DSTV much better.
I only have TT for Fox Retro.
Old 2011-02-21 , 08:07
Still has yet to deposit the money for the SD PVR he took off Sandtonman under false pretenses.
Has fulfilled all the requirements to be called a thief.

Well I agree to disagree with of the post.

I had TTV when they first launch and been a Dstv Premium Subscriber for long now
all i can say, is that if you are or were a Dstv Premium subscriber: TTV wont do much for you, in the genre of movies and series. but Music wise they are best in the game (Oh my gosh i don't believe i just saith that)

There i got stuck with premium on Dstv for Sport, Awards, Movies. But TTV for newbies on Digital Transmission is way better than Compact.

Last edited by Maplayer; 2011-02-21 at 10:16. .
Old 2011-02-21 , 09:41
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

TT is definitely the way to go for brand new subscribers. DSTV Compact is definitely not value for money. And for music lovers I'd say go with TT. At least you'll get more than just 3 genres. TT's music channels ROX!!!!
Old 2011-02-21 , 14:04
Changes remote batteries daily

I agree fully.

DSTV is no match for TTV in the music department.

I can't believe how closed minded DSTV is about picking better music channels than what is currently on offer.