Old 2011-02-17 , 17:17
Still listens to the wireless

Default SuperRugby on kykNET

It was a huge pleasure to see Naas Botha back on SuperRugby on Monday night, but what a disappointment to see that they are still taking viewers' calls.

SuperRugby really needs a huge shake-up. We appreciate the fact that SuperSport is giving Afrikaans viewers their own rugby show, but unfortunately, it is often an hour wasted. I'd rather skip it altogether and wait for Boots and All.

1) The panel needs proper analysts. I have huge respect for Ashwin Willemse, who rose above his gangster-background and drug addiction to become an inspirational Springbok player. But seriously, he does not belong on television. I know that Naas has a hectic schedule, but he adds so much depth to the show. Breyton Paulse isn't much better. What the hell happened to Errol Tobias?

My idea for a panel: Arnold Geerdts as anchor (at least he's a proper broadcaster), with Kobus Wiese, Botha and someone like Tobias rotating duties as analysts.

2) GET RID OF THE VIEWERS' CALLS. They add absolutely nothing to the show. It's mostly the same callers week after week, who seem to call in just to say hello to the presenters. And then they babble on for a minute about how great their hometown weather is, what they're having for supper tonight and how much they enjoyed the rugby over the weekend. The producers should either scrap that element altogether, or make sure that a caller has something useful to say, before putting him/her on air.

Regards
Nico Geldenhuys
Old 2011-02-18 , 08:31
SuperSport

Thank you for your posting. I have sent it to the Super Rugby production team, who have assured me they are looking carefully at such aspects of the show.