Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DSTV Mobile - DRIFTA

Old 2010-11-29 , 09:26
Still listens to the wireless

Default DSTV Mobile - DRIFTA

I wasn't sure which would be the right category to post this under, perhaps we need a new one Mods?

I picked up my Drifta device and now have DSTV mobile running on my Ipad and Iphone! my initial impressions are very good!

A few suggestions:

- Please sell batteries separately. From my experience, batteries don't always last and users will need to replace these at some point. in addition, having a spar fully charged battery would help when the battery runs out right in the middle of that important event!

- Are we going to see more channels? I appreciate that there are licensing concerns but perhaps the MNet channels (Series, Action, Movie Magic) are a place to start?

- more options for kids. Nickelodeon or boomerang please.

- Get DVB-H signal on major highways as a start, this would be perfect for the annual migration down to the Natal Coast.

I hope there are more of me out there wanting to discuss this new and exciting bit of tech?
Old 2010-11-29 , 10:01
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bortner View Post
I wasn't sure which would be the right category to post this under, perhaps we need a new one Mods?

I picked up my Drifta device and now have DSTV mobile running on my Ipad and Iphone! my initial impressions are very good!

A few suggestions:

- Please sell batteries separately. From my experience, batteries don't always last and users will need to replace these at some point. in addition, having a spar fully charged battery would help when the battery runs out right in the middle of that important event!

- Are we going to see more channels? I appreciate that there are licensing concerns but perhaps the MNet channels (Series, Action, Movie Magic) are a place to start?

- Get DVB-H signal on major highways as a start, this would be perfect for the annual migration down to the Natal Coast.

I hope there are more of me out there wanting to discuss this new and exciting bit of tech?
I will follow the discussions, BUT until MC and its partners DO SOMETHING about the incredibly poor coverage in my area, I will not be spending any cash on this service! [PS the coverage map says i should be able to pick up the service, BUT the ONLY place in my yard where it works is in the one corner, and driving asround my area, coverage was so patchy that it makes no sense at all to go for this non-service!]
Old 2010-11-29 , 13:25
Changes remote batteries daily

I'm still in awe about this pathetic service.

Who the hell has the time of walking around watching TV on the cellphones?

This is SA people!If you are walking around or sitting at a bus stop etc.you phone will get stolen

Very poor decision making on DSTV's side.
Old 2010-11-29 , 13:37
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sualk View Post
I'm still in awe about this pathetic service.

Who the hell has the time of walking around watching TV on the cellphones?

This is SA people!If you are walking around or sitting at a bus stop etc.you phone will get stolen

Very poor decision making on DSTV's side.
Why is mobile TV service offering pathetic?

You can view TV while out at a friend/restaurant.
You could even view in your office at work, if you want to get the latest cricket score?
There is an offering and people will take it up. More that take up, the more the network can be built. It needs to be rolled out to all the cell phone towers and this will not happen over night. The coverage will increase in time.

MC need to look outside the box of traditional satellite broadcasting.
Old 2010-11-29 , 13:41
Changes remote batteries daily

Not that I see myself using it, I think its a pretty good option, I could see people using it for long trips to keep the kids happy in the back, or while away on holiday, I can see beer camping braai and someone watching rugby, obviously once the coverage is there
Old 2010-12-03 , 14:26
Knows how to use a remote

I myself have just purchased the Drifta and took me less than 10 minutes to get setup and working on my laptop.....

I do understand that if you are not that into sports at the moment it may not be for you (if this is the case no need to slate the product) maybe they will increase the channels and it will be more for you...

For me as a sports lover --- DSTV this is a product i have been waiting for, for a long time... at the moment it is working 100% on my laptop, however cant wait for you to include Blackberries as one of the compatible devices. I also agree in the selling of seperate batteries.

The DSTV mobile site coverage map i find not to user friendly, i would like to get a detailed map on where the coverage extends to.
Old 2010-12-03 , 14:42
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Can we safely assume aspect ratio is that of broadcast. I.e SuperSport is in 4:3?

Also what is picture quality like on laptop, especially maximized?

G
Old 2010-12-03 , 14:57
Knows how to use a remote

yep aspect ratio is 4:3....

Picture quality is not bad - it is around 320 x 240 so designed for quality for smartfones so unfortunately the maximized size is about just under half of my laptop screen which is understandable as this is the content being pushed out ---- works very simply though and no more of the buffering we have all come to hate
Old 2010-12-03 , 17:38
MultiChoice | DStv Mobile

MC Maiyo- DStv Mobile is a long term investment and it will take time to get to a point where the entire country has coverage. Part of the licence requirements was to have network available at launch in all world cup host cities and this has been acheived. However, we WILL be expanding coverage in the near future.

The channels that we have available are based on consumer research. We ran a trial for a few years before going commerical and we found that sport makes for great content when accessing TV on the go.
Old 2010-12-03 , 18:51
MultiChoice | DStv Mobile

A few suggestions:

Thanks for the feedback. We are always glad to get feedback on how to improve our product. Our product is still in an introductory phase and we will definitely keep your suggestion on record.

More channels will be announced soon.
- Get DVB-H signal on major highways as a start, this would be perfect for the annual migration down to the Natal Coast
Initally, the DVB-H signal will only be available in major centres. We do plan on rolling out the network to other prominent areas soon.

I hope there are more of me out there wanting to discuss this new and exciting bit of tech?[/QUOTE]
Yep. Broadcast mobile TV is definitely set to change the way we interact with television.