Old 2009-01-04 , 11:33
Knows how to use a remote

Default DSD990 F-connector rusted up?!

My 3-year old DSD990 recently failed to acquire the PAS10 signal, so I dutifully inspected the LNB connector & insulation. All looked fine, yet the signal tuning meter failed to light up, even though I measured around 12V coming up from the decoder. I replaced the LNB, but still no meter tuning signal at the head-end.

To test the signal tuning meter, I connected it directly to the decoder, but this is when I discovered that the fylead's centre pin on the male F-connector was all rusted up inside the decoder's female F-connector inside the house! We live in the Cape Town area, would this mean that the moisture in the air is sufficient to condense inside the connector? The decoder is not otherwise located close to any other moist areas, it is inside the same cabinet as the DVD & amplifier etc.!

Anyway, this was the time to upgrade to the DSD1110, and I sealed up the decoder's F-connector using self-amalgamating tape...

Now to find a right-angle PCB mount female F-connector which I can use to replace the rusted-up one in my decoder...
Old 2009-01-05 , 21:06
Technical Myriad

Yes it is certainly possible that moisture can settle in the connectors at bothe ends of the cable! Unusual but possible. The right solution is to use tape to protect ALL connectors , but then you need to appreciate that working on the system becomes a tricky business!

I would suggest that the cause was probably due to over zealous cleaing activities using damp dust cloths!
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2009-01-06 , 09:55

Thanks Geoff D...I am reasonably sure that the back of our decoder is not regularly cleaned using a damp cloth

Would you (or anyone else) know where to source a right-angle PCB mount female F-connector, suitable as replacement on the DSD990? The decoder is 3 years old so presumably outside warranty. Alternatively, who (in Cape Town area) would be able to provide unusable/scrap DSD990 PC boards (i.e. throw-away motherboards)?
Old 2009-01-06 , 10:06
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Would you (or anyone else) know where to source a right-angle PCB mount female F-connector, suitable as replacement on the DSD990? The decoder is 3 years old so presumably outside warranty. Alternatively, who (in Cape Town area) would be able to provide unusable/scrap DSD990 PC boards (i.e. throw-away motherboards)?
(1) You should be able to get replacement connectors at whomever took over from HAMRADS in CT? Really dating myself now!
(2) If you get to the point of wanting to replace a motherboard in a decoder, then it is because you like to play with the electronics! I would rather suggest to try to get a good second hand decoder/.
(3) Changing these connectors is tricky because the "RF" modules are in special screened sub assemblies that are quite tricky to work on.
Old 2009-01-07 , 09:22

Thanks Geoff D. I was a frequent visitor to Hamrad during my teenage years, and frequently ordered components from them by post!

Being an electronics engineer, I frequently dabble with electronic circuits at home (microcontrollers etc.). Fortunately the F-connector in the DSD990 is not enclosed in a screened can, so it can be replaced quite easily...
Old 2009-01-07 , 10:33
Technical Myriad

Go for it! Keep us posted! If you have old vrot LNBs around, try using one of those connectors, they may actually work.
Old 2009-01-07 , 15:01

I have a vrot DSD660, but its two F-connectors are inside the tuner screening can...

I ordered a sample F-connector from Tyco Electronics in the USA (part number 415302-1), they will ship it to me free of charge.

I've since noticed that RS Components has this connector at around R18 apiece, in a pack of 5.