Forum > Customer service > Customer service > Accessibility of DStv Catch Up to Premium customers
Old 2015-04-13 , 09:16
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanilleg View Post
Hi MC Nic

We have DSTV premium. Only my husband watches. The one and only show I watch is The Fixer, but I'm unable to watch at it's screening time or any of the repeat times. I used to live stream it on catchup. Now they've made it for PVR customers only. We have no need for PVR and PVR customers can record! It makes no sense and is endlessly frustrating. Are they trying to force everyone to get PVR?

Why have they done this?

Regards
Tanille
Morning tanilleg,

Apologies for the late reply (I was on leave).

I'm moving this thread to the customer service section where they're better equipped to answer your questions.

Cheers

MC Nic.
Old 2015-04-13 , 09:28
MultiChoice

DStv live streaming and online Catch Up services are an extension of the PVR experience, accessible online and on multiple devices. As such it is exclusively available to our DStv Premium customers with an active PVR. These services have been refined and evolved to further enhance the viewer experience.
Old 2015-04-13 , 10:06
Still listens to the wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
DStv live streaming and online Catch Up services are an extension of the PVR experience, accessible online and on multiple devices. As such it is exclusively available to our DStv Premium customers with an active PVR. These services have been refined and evolved to further enhance the viewer experience.
Why don't you offer premium customers the option of paying extra for online services?
Old 2015-04-13 , 10:09
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
As such it is exclusively available to our DStv Premium customers with an active PVR.
But why? Why should the type of decoder have any bearing on whether or not you can access online content?

And why has it been decided that now only PVR subscribers will have access when previously non-PVR subscribers also had access, and why has there been very little communication around the matter? Surely DStv shouldn't be trying to alienate its customers? I just don't understand the logic behind this decision.

Quote:
These services have been refined and evolved to further enhance the viewer experience.
I fail to see how my experience as viewer has been enhance by this new refinement.
Old 2015-04-14 , 09:15

This morning the Desktop Player is now not showing anything available for download. I guess the restriction for non-PVR subscribers has now kicked in, so no more Catch Up for me.
Old 2015-04-14 , 10:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Ah shucks, sorry Citanul. Perhaps time to look at other online streaming services....
Old 2015-04-14 , 11:12

I had hoped that maybe by using an older version of the Player then it might still work, but I suppose that was me being overly optimistic.

So my options are now either resorting methods of downloading which aren't legal, or using someone else's credentials. Either of these will work, but could be avoided if DStv just did the sensible thing and allowed non-PVR Premium subscribers to pay the Access Fee in order to access online content. I still don't understand why that's not an option.
Old 2015-04-14 , 11:25
Technical Myriad

So the "Access Fee" is not equal for all in the end. The so called "free services" associated with being a Premium, Compact or Extra package subscriber are only available IF you also have a PVR. Not even the new HD single view decoder is "good enough". And if you have 2 decoders linked in XV, unless one of them is a PVR, you are also a second class premium subscriber!

Where do those with Walkas and Driftas now stand? Are they also excluded if they do not have an active PVR?

What a brilliant way to treat long standing loyal customers! It makes no sense at all.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-04-14 at 11:31. .
Old 2015-04-14 , 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Where do those with Walkas and Driftas now stand? Are they also excluded if they do not have an active PVR?
My Walka was working on Saturday, although I don't know if the new restriction had kicked in then. But it's a different fee that gets paid for mobile devices, so hopefully this online issue is completely separate from Walkas and Driftas.

Quote:
What a brilliant way to treat long standing loyal customers! It makes no sense at all.
And there's been no explanation for this decision at all. All we've had is a canned response about how online services are an extension of PVR and therefore exclusive to PVR customers.

But that doesn't explain why online content been available to everyone but it's now been decided to limit it to PVR customers only. Nor does it explain how anybody could think this was a good decision.
Old 2015-04-14 , 12:22
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
My Walka was working on Saturday, although I don't know if the new restriction had kicked in then. But it's a different fee that gets paid for mobile devices, so hopefully this online issue is completely separate from Walkas and Driftas.

And there's been no explanation for this decision at all. All we've had is a canned response about how online services are an extension of PVR and therefore exclusive to PVR customers.

But that doesn't explain why online content been available to everyone but it's now been decided to limit it to PVR customers only. Nor does it explain how anybody could think this was a good decision.

One possibility of course is that the original intention was NOT what has materialised, but a consequence of a lack of clarity around what the "Access Fee" actually means. I am of the opinion that the latter is the explanation. The association of the "Access Fee" meaning a link with a PVR is an unintended consequence.

In the old archived forum, there was a debate about what the benefits of using Internet Access in conjunction with a Premium Service, and I am almost sure that somewhere the point was made that the linkage is to being a "Premium subscriber" (remember, compact and Extra did not exist then) and available to Premium subscribers not to PVR decoder owners only. Now that made sense, but gradually, the idea seems to have crept into the systems that "Premium" means a PVR which then very easily morphs into "you must have a PVR to be entitled to the value added services" that were being offered for "free".
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Tags
catchup, premium, pvr