Forum > Decoders > Installation > Persistent signal drops on Sports channel
Old 2017-09-05 , 20:29
Still gets up to change channels

Angry Persistent signal drops on Sports channel

Please can somebody help. I get a +90% signal strength and 100% signal quality on the sports channels but every 10 seconds they both drop to 0% and then return to +90% and 100% after 1 second. This happens on many other channels too but not 101 and a few others.

What I have tried:
1) installed new LNB - LMX501
2) adjusted dish and skew using app, FSM and fine tuning via tuner status screen
3) checked all connections
4) tried new cabling
5) took decoder to MC for testing
6) multiple factory resets
7) connecting to different lnb ports
8) changing tuner frequencies
9) scoured this forum for further ideas

All this to no avail. MC has been no help at all- just keep punting installers as if they own shares in them when in reality they have no clue and keep no record of people who had same problems and the solutions

Problem started with picture break up progressively getting worse to the point where I had no signal whatsoever. Having experienced high winds (which destroyed my patio roof) I suspected that the dish had moved so I got a FSM and satfinder app. This didn't help so I got new LNB. Got perfect signal strength and quality and all was well (including sports channels). Suddenly two days ago this new problem started. Any help would really be appreciated.

To be clear on symptoms:
1) while watching a sports channel I get excellent signal strength and quality (100%)
2) like clockwork every 10 seconds they both drop to 0%
3) a second later they both return to their previous strength and quality
4) this carries on indefinitely
5) adjusting dish alignment and skew makes no difference to signal drop - it just changes the quality
Old 2017-09-05 , 21:43

Update: If I disconnect my XV decoder from explora 1 and from LNB then signal drop problem goes away. So I seem to have found the cause but still no solution. Seems XV decoder is conflicting with primary"s frequencies. Have tried different user bands on primary but that didn't help. So I'm still open to suggestions. Will try play with XV frequencies and see if I can find one that allows them to play together nicely
Old 2017-09-05 , 22:32
Knows how to use a remote

Hello Manie, have you set the user bands for the explora? What is the xtraview decoder?
1.2 meter dish, SLNB LMX 501, Explora 2a, Pace HD PVR 2P, Xtraview via rf ( for now ), Samsung PS51E6500, Samsung UA55K6000, Rotel RSP 1570 Pre/Pro, Myryad MXA 5150 power amp, Oppo bdp-83 bluray, Raspberry Pi (also used as a pattern generator), B&W 683 S1 front, B&W HTM61 S1 center, Castle Conway 3 surround, B&W ASW 610 Subwoofer.
Old 2017-09-05 , 23:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

Ok, let's cover all possibilities which will get you working.
Let's reserve user bands 0 to 3 which will be safe whatever the XtraView decoder is, so set your Explora to the following;

Tuner 1:
Index 4
Frequency 1006
Tuner 2:
Index 5
Frequency 1057
Tuner 3:
Index 6
Frequency 1108

Do all the Indexes first, then the frequencies.
Based on earlier info you posted - DO NOT adjust frequencies to anything other than what each index is supposed to use, your Smart LNB (SLNB) user booklet will confirm details above.
Only hand-tighten all connections else that can cause similar type faults due to so-created damaged connections on circuitry.
Terminate the spare Unicable port.
Do not try adjust anything in this regard on your XtraView (XV) decoder. If you already did, put it back as it was.

(Unfortunately I won't be here if further help is needed.)
Old 2017-09-06 , 07:16

Hi I have set my user bands and indexes to: 3:2040, 4:1006, 5:1057 on primary explorer 1. Problem resolved but I now need to set up XV. It is an older HD PVR
Old 2017-09-06 , 07:34
Knows how to use a remote

If it's the HD pvr 2p you can leave it as default keeping the the user bands you mentioned for the explorer.

I have set mine explorer 2a primary with user bands 0, 1 and 2 and the HD pvr 2p user bands 3 and 4.

You can edit the 2p user bands (LNB must be set to satcr universal) menu->advanced->network>highlight lnb->press white button on remote->edit->ok to save->rescan->reboot.

Hope it helps
1.2 meter dish, SLNB LMX 501, Explora 2a, Pace HD PVR 2P, Xtraview via rf ( for now ), Samsung PS51E6500, Samsung UA55K6000, Rotel RSP 1570 Pre/Pro, Myryad MXA 5150 power amp, Oppo bdp-83 bluray, Raspberry Pi (also used as a pattern generator), B&W 683 S1 front, B&W HTM61 S1 center, Castle Conway 3 surround, B&W ASW 610 Subwoofer.
Old 2017-09-06 , 09:15
Changes remote batteries hourly

All good advice Idm, just popping in with a quick note for Manie (and any others later finding this thread) to keep things on track in case of any confusion;

Quote:
Originally Posted by idm1 View Post
If it's the HD pvr 2p you can leave it as default keeping the the user bands you mentioned for the explorer.
That's in parallel with the option I suggested.

However, the next part is basically the opposite option, so the word "OR" would have helped for those less familiar with user bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idm1 View Post
I have set mine explorer 2a primary with user bands 0, 1 and 2 and the HD pvr 2p user bands 3 and 4.
Anyway, from what Manie said beforehand he had already picked the first so should be ok :-)

Cheers, until another time
Old 2017-09-06 , 09:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

What some people do not know or tend to forget is that on the 2P decoder the changes to the Home network does not take effect when you save the settings.
Although the changes will reflect on the decoder the decoder still uses the previous settings until you do a full rescan. The best way is to use the yellow button after you made your changes. This will save the changes and do the required rescan.
Old 2017-09-06 , 09:52

Thanks all. Will set and scan the 2P XV decoder this evening and revert with results. Still amazes me how MC do not keep a record of these problems and there causes and let people know where to look. The standard "bring your decoder in" is now really obsolete with the complex set ups required (rant over)
Old 2017-09-06 , 10:04
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManieB View Post
Thanks all. Will set and scan the 2P XV decoder this evening and revert with results.
No Mannie, your problem is solved so you should not fiddle with your 2P settings now, that is why optimist posted again and also earlier suggested you leave the 2P alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManieB View Post
Still amazes me how MC do not keep a record of these problems and there causes and let people know where to look. The standard "bring your decoder in" is now really obsolete with the complex set ups required (rant over)
you cannot really call it a problem, it is a matter of having knowledge about how it works. Companies don't teach users, they either know or get an expert or learn somewhere like here if the info is good.
Tags
signal break