Forum > Content > Sport > English League Cup - Caraboa cup
Old 2017-09-21 , 13:45
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
This may be a good place to start BB: http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/s...annel-20170618

These popularity changes are just another part of us getting older
Thanks for the info Optimist and I know this HAS been discussed before but on a different thread. It's just that I really don't believe that there's many people who actually sit and watch this "computer" channel. But, like most of the surveys conducted by MC, we'll never get to know the true results. Just hugely disappointed by the loss of some of the football competitions.
Old 2017-09-21 , 20:49
Still listens to the wireless

Staggering.Absolutely staggering.
Old 2017-09-22 , 10:36
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tpg88 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to only stream content not licensed for local use, like the league cup. Have a great day.
The Carabao Cup (along with EFL league matches) has been licensed for this territory; just not to SuperSport.
Old 2017-09-22 , 10:43
Still listens to the wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
The Carabao Cup (along with EFL league matches) has been licensed for this territory; just not to SuperSport.
Still can't find it
Old 2017-09-22 , 10:56
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

8tpg88,

The channel holding the rights for this season, according to the EFL's official announcement, is carried by a rival broadcast service.
Old 2017-09-22 , 13:27
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sandile View Post
FAQs: No more English League Cup and the English Championship

Why has SuperSport failed to renew rights to the English League Cup and the English Championship?[/B]
The escalation of rights fees for major events (Premier League, La Liga, etc) forced the business to make a tough financial decision. The commercial viability of these rights is not sustainable in our view.

What is replacing it?
There wonít be a replacement as such. However, SuperSport has a range of other international soccer properties that will continue to get prominence across the various channels and territories. These include FIFA World Cup, European championship qualifiers, Champions League, Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, Premier League, La Liga, CAF fixtures and PSL.

But I pay so much for DStv Ė now Iím getting less while my subscription fee goes up.
Notwithstanding the decision to not broadcast the English League Cup and the English Championship, SuperSport still offers a wide selection of international sport. This includes World Cups, the English Premiership, golf and tennis majors, Formula 1 and major rugby.
We also conclude new acquisitions on a fairly frequent basis.
Unfortunately, it is the nature of the television rights fee environment that prices escalate far beyond the rate of standard inflation. This is especially true of sports content where rights holders constantly push the prices up, because it is a highly competitive bidding environment. Every effort is made not to pass these increases on to subscribers. However, economic pressure results in SuperSport having to decline some renewals.
Despite this, the SuperSport offering is great value for money.

What about other soccer properties?
SuperSport takes great pride in being the only pay-TV broadcaster on the continent that broadcasts all 380 Premier League matches. We broadcast as many La Liga matches, plus other outstanding content: Champions League, Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, CAF fixtures and PSL. In 2018, SuperSport will also broadcast the European Championship qualifiers and the FIFA World Cup.

What will I be able to watch in this time slot?
A mixed range of programming, including the world athletic championship, Premier League (from next weekend), MTN 8, plus ATP tennis, PGA Championship golf and Nascar.

You also lost Bundesliga and Serie A. Whatís going on?
SuperSport must make this distinction: these rights werenít lost; SuperSport opted to not renew them. Apart from the financial considerations, we took into account the ratings of these two particular properties, which were underwhelming.

Can we expect more such decisions?
SuperSport constantly reviews its content, taking into account pricing, budgets, ratings, etc. What remains paramount is the customer. Every effort is made to satisfy their needs within commercial realities.

What about the FA cup then? I don't see that mentioned & it has been around on TV in South Africa since the 1980ís. In my opinion English Football is the reasons that Supersport is so strong today. No offense but I would really like to see actual statistics or get asked to do a sport survey because I dont know anyone who watches any other La liga games other than Madrid vs Barcalona??? Not to mention WWE which in my opinion is a waste of time, itís not a sport, itís fake . If you are going to decide not to show certain events then at least warn your subscribers. Dont just leave them in the dark.
Old 2017-09-22 , 17:58
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzT View Post
What about the FA cup then? I don't see that mentioned & it has been around on TV in South Africa since the 1980ís. In my opinion English Football is the reasons that Supersport is so strong today. No offense but I would really like to see actual statistics or get asked to do a sport survey because I dont know anyone who watches any other La liga games other than Madrid vs Barcalona??? Not to mention WWE which in my opinion is a waste of time, itís not a sport, itís fake . If you are going to decide not to show certain events then at least warn your subscribers. Dont just leave them in the dark.
Fully agree with this. If Supersport have lost the rights to the FA Cup as well then there'll be a major outcry from football fans in South Africa.
Old 2017-09-23 , 11:08
Changes remote batteries daily

My my thank you Sandile however has anyone noticed that the FA Cup is gone as well??? Please tell me it was an omission... I can't believe SS ditched the oldest Football cup in the world???
Old 2017-09-24 , 09:48
4K, baby!

Default FA Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
.....has anyone noticed that the FA Cup is gone as well??? Please tell me it was an omission... I can't believe SS ditched the oldest Football cup in the world??? ....
That would be a nightmare!
MC Please comment.
Cheers, K.
Old 2017-09-26 , 19:32
HD-Ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
8tpg88,

The channel holding the rights for this season, according to the EFL's official announcement, is carried by a rival broadcast service.
But there's no listing of a RSA broadcaster unless I'm missing something