Forum > Content > Sport > English League Cup - Caraboa cup
Old 2017-09-20 , 16:31
4K, baby!

Was throwing my toys out of the cot with this, yet another, loss of what is to us footballing fans, a major footballing event. But now that my team has been knocked out of this competition before it really even got started I'm no longer as upset as I was a day or two ago.

But seriously, I wonder if those that are in power at Supersport know just which footballing events are of the MOST importance with local football followers? How many would say scrap the South American football games, much as I enjoy them, in favour of showing European Leagues and Cup Competitions? Especially those from England. Off the top of my head I can recall us losing the Italian League, German Bundesliga, some European Qualifyers, the English Championship League and now this latest Caraboa Cup matches. That's a lot of quality football that's been LOST or REMOVED.

Please don't come back and tell me that your research has shown that South American Football is followed by more people than any of the above mentioned competitions that has been lost to us.

Personally, I think that this decline in football programmes started when the .... previous? .. CEO of Supersport left. Think his name was Patel? Since then there's been a steady decline in the football offerings. Can only assume that this new CEO, or whoever is responsible, doesn't know how strong the footballing following is.

Even with my side having ALREADY been eliminated from this competition I still think it is very poor, and below the standard, that we expect from Supersport to not be showing this competition.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2017-09-20 at 16:34. .
Old 2017-09-20 , 17:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

In recent years we have lost the formerly regular coverage of four of Europe's strongest leagues (#3 Germany, #4 Italy, #5 France, #7 Portugal). Now a cup that has been covered for at least two decades, that features many of the most widely followed clubs internationally and in South Africa, and that is often a showcase for the talent in the English league that is on the fringes of the first teams used in the league, FA Cup, and Europe.

Unfortunately, this trend will only continue, for two reasons: the profit motive, and the unsustainability of broadcast pay TV.

Shareholders and owners demand consistent if not increasing profits from businesses, which can only be achieved by offering less to the customer at a higher price. And this happens at every stage of the process. Clubs demand higher income from televised tournaments, the owners of football competitions demand higher and higher returns for rights deals, and broadcasters are under pressure to deliver good returns too.

And the consensus is that broadcast pay TV is unsustainable, because it has only two revenue streams, subscriptions and advertising, both of which are expected to shrink. The former will become increasingly fragmented with new services and new platforms; while the spend on the latter is generally under pressure, and advertisers are demanding more and more a measurable return on their investment. As metrics become more sophisticated, they are learning just how little attention many people pay to ads - this is true online as well - and so offer less and less to place them, or shift strategy altogether.

Last edited by Terrence; 2017-09-22 at 10:38. .
Old 2017-09-20 , 21:32
Still listens to the wireless

Just want to add my voice and say really disappointing. Get rid of the sport I watch and there is no reason to stay a subscriber. Already watch everything on Hulu long before dstv gets it. Maybe need to look at sling and canceling dstv.
Old 2017-09-21 , 09:34
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just be careful you're not using and suggesting anything illegal, MC are obliged by contract to assist with prosecutions...
Old 2017-09-21 , 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Just be careful you're not using and suggesting anything illegal, MC are obliged by contract to assist with prosecutions...
Prosecuted for using a steaming service ?

Most unbelievable thing I've heard all day
Old 2017-09-21 , 10:31

If done with content not licenced for local use, yes. And there are examples of actual prosecutions in older threads. Regulars here know that there are still NO legal alternatives available to us to replace most series offered.
Really just trying to help you, just be careful enough.
Old 2017-09-21 , 10:32
SuperSport

FAQs: No more English League Cup and the English Championship

Why has SuperSport failed to renew rights to the English League Cup and the English Championship?[/B]
The escalation of rights fees for major events (Premier League, La Liga, etc) forced the business to make a tough financial decision. The commercial viability of these rights is not sustainable in our view.

What is replacing it?
There wonít be a replacement as such. However, SuperSport has a range of other international soccer properties that will continue to get prominence across the various channels and territories. These include FIFA World Cup, European championship qualifiers, Champions League, Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, Premier League, La Liga, CAF fixtures and PSL.

But I pay so much for DStv Ė now Iím getting less while my subscription fee goes up.
Notwithstanding the decision to not broadcast the English League Cup and the English Championship, SuperSport still offers a wide selection of international sport. This includes World Cups, the English Premiership, golf and tennis majors, Formula 1 and major rugby.
We also conclude new acquisitions on a fairly frequent basis.
Unfortunately, it is the nature of the television rights fee environment that prices escalate far beyond the rate of standard inflation. This is especially true of sports content where rights holders constantly push the prices up, because it is a highly competitive bidding environment. Every effort is made not to pass these increases on to subscribers. However, economic pressure results in SuperSport having to decline some renewals.
Despite this, the SuperSport offering is great value for money.

What about other soccer properties?
SuperSport takes great pride in being the only pay-TV broadcaster on the continent that broadcasts all 380 Premier League matches. We broadcast as many La Liga matches, plus other outstanding content: Champions League, Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, CAF fixtures and PSL. In 2018, SuperSport will also broadcast the European Championship qualifiers and the FIFA World Cup.

What will I be able to watch in this time slot?
A mixed range of programming, including the world athletic championship, Premier League (from next weekend), MTN 8, plus ATP tennis, PGA Championship golf and Nascar.

You also lost Bundesliga and Serie A. Whatís going on?
SuperSport must make this distinction: these rights werenít lost; SuperSport opted to not renew them. Apart from the financial considerations, we took into account the ratings of these two particular properties, which were underwhelming.

Can we expect more such decisions?
SuperSport constantly reviews its content, taking into account pricing, budgets, ratings, etc. What remains paramount is the customer. Every effort is made to satisfy their needs within commercial realities.
Old 2017-09-21 , 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
If done with content not licenced for local use, yes. And there are examples of actual prosecutions in older threads. Regulars here know that there are still NO legal alternatives available to us to replace most series offered.
Really just trying to help you, just be careful enough.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to only stream content not licensed for local use, like the league cup. Have a great day.
Old 2017-09-21 , 11:19
4K, baby!

SS Sandile a big thank you for this detailed reply of yours the content of which makes a lot of sense. This still doesn't make me feel any happier with the decision taken regarding one or two of the football competitions that have been lost to us.

I, for one, do not understand why we have to have "computer games" as part of our Supersport offering? Although some here say this has a huge following. I would really love to be able to find out the true answer to the question of how many people ACTUALLY sit down and WATCH this channel? Not that it's a nice to have but ACTUALLY WATCH it? I know that it's off topic but surely the funds could be used better elsewhere? Darts, snooker, American Football to name a few.

However, thanks for the SPORT, not stupid computer games which to me ISN'T a sport as such, that you do bring to us. As you say we are fortunate being able to watch as many football matches that we currently are being able to watch. It's just the disappointment of having lost so many football competitions that we had previously had. And all within a relatively short period of time.
Old 2017-09-21 , 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
I, for one, do not understand why we have to have "computer games" as part of our Supersport offering? Although some here say this has a huge following. I would really love to be able to find out the true answer to the question of how many people ACTUALLY sit down and WATCH this channel? Not that it's a nice to have but ACTUALLY WATCH it? I know that it's off topic but surely the funds could be used better elsewhere? Darts, snooker, American Football to name a few.
This may be a good place to start BB: http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/s...annel-20170618

These popularity changes are just another part of us getting older

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-09-21 at 13:24. . Reason: Better link