Forum > Decoders > Installation > Help with Installation of 3x Explora2a XV Setup
Old 2017-05-31 , 14:43
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Help with Installation of 3x Explora2a XV Setup

Hello

I've posted before asking a few questions. I'm ready to go ahead with my installation, therefore I need some advise on the best setup and what to buy.

I have read through a number of threads on the forum. Please see the attached diagram. It should hopefully answer all the questions normally asked.

MY CURRENT SETUP
- 90cm Dish with Dual LNB
- HD PVR + SD PVR (both in lounge)
- Signal distributed to 5 TV's via RF
- TV Link has never worked via RF
- Using an Ellies Remote Blaster in Lounge & Master Bedroom plus add on unit in Cottage

MY NEW SETUP (See proposed setup diagram)
- Smart LNB with New 80cm Dish (supplied with SD PVR Trade in) or existing 90cm Dish
- 3x Explora 2a connected in Xtraview with each Explora in different rooms
- Heartbeat via SLNB (as per MCMarietjie)
- Need all TV's to control All Decoders (if possible)

COMPLICATING FACTORS
If possible, I'd like to use the existing RF cabling to send the TV signal and TV link. However, in my current setup, the TV Link has never worked. The existing RF Cables have splitters between the family room & cottage and bedroom 2 & bedroom 3 (bedroom 3 not shown on diagram but next to bedroom 2)

I am looking for the most cost effective but convenient way to do this setup. We are 3 adults and 2 kids in so I'd like all the TV's to be able to control all the decoders, but I would prefer not to have to run new RF cables, but I'm willing to if required, so please advise the best way forward.

I will do the installation myself including running the cables, but as a last resort I can get an installer to activate the decoders or align the LNB, although I have aligned it before.

Please advise what distribution method is best including the relevant equipment like SLX splitter and any equipment needed at each TV point. Forum posts suggest these products but I don't know which (if any) is best for my setup
Links removed

Thanks in advance

Note:
NO HDMI distribution between the decoders is required due to the cost
The cottage wiring distance to the Dish is +-22m but I've marked it as 25m on the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: png MySetup_DSTVExplora2XV3_2017-05-31.png (46.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:00
Changes remote batteries hourly

WARNING - this thread contains unusual circumstances and therefore some possibly confusing non-standard suggestions, so should not all be seen as the general help information you may be seeking.

Hi,

I'm going to leave the main details to MC Field Services and Geoff D who will be here later, here's just some basic thoughts in the meantime.

The dish - IF the existing dish is in good condition then better to use that, it has a slight size signal reliability advantage for rain-outages etc. and at worst may need some alignment tweaking. (Exploras are more sensitive to alignment than your previous decoders.)
You would then need to mark the existing LNB's skew position on its bracket and mark how far the LNB neck protrudes in the bracket on the old LNB for comparing when setting up the SLNB.
If you decide to use the new dish then you will need to ask Geoff D for his alignment recipe by PM. (Also needed if signals don't turn out good enough with the old dish.)

RF - You will have to use RF as suggested for distribution as those signals themselves can't carry well enough via the SLNB. Therefore using the SLNB for heartbeat probably won't be needed.
I suspect the reason you couldn't get the TV Links to work before will be the splitters and may well mean quite a bit of replacement of the RF cabling, but Geoff will go into that as well.

However, another way forward is to use the existing setup (if the RF cables are in good enough condition) with remote control usage (and therefore heartbeat as well) via SLNB.
This would require external diplexers behind each Explora, which are still needed with the 2a when wanting to also carry remote commands via the SLNB. You would then be pointing the remotes at the Exploras' front panels (f/p) instead of at a TV Link eye.
For the other two rooms you would still use TV Links (the remote blaster system has more limitations but is possible as well).

Distances involved will be ok with a decent SLX option.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-01 at 16:25. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:03

attached diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explora xtraview 3.jpg (45.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:05

Above diagram all are connected to a DStv smart lnb
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:19

another diagram with 3 additional tv sets . just a reminder to change the Uhf channels of each decoder to avoid conflict , freq range is from 21 - 69 , lower is beter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explora 2 Xtraview 3 - 3 additional Tv sets .jpg (51.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Distances involved will be ok with a decent SLX option.
But not if using the SLNB for heartbeat (H/B) / remotes if some of the decoder-to-dish distances are too far, so please expand on that.
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
attached diagram
Would this require diplexers as Optimist has started in his post? Is the attached image an example of the diplexer required?
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
another diagram with 3 additional tv sets . just a reminder to change the Uhf channels of each decoder to avoid conflict , freq range is from 21 - 69 , lower is beter
Is the attached image the correct slx?
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:37

I think MC FS may have left for the day.

The 2a has a built in diplexer, for carrying H/B. It's only if needing to carry remote signals via SLNB as well that you need the external diplexers. The one you're looking at would be fine.

Geoff will be carrying on from here, and please don't miss my post #6.
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadil View Post

MY CURRENT SETUP
- 90cm Dish with Dual LNB
- HD PVR + SD PVR (both in lounge)
- Signal distributed to 5 TV's via RF
- TV Link has never worked via RF
- Using an Ellies Remote Blaster in Lounge & Master Bedroom plus add on unit in Cottage
The most likely reason why you could never get the tvLINKs setup to work would be because of an issues with the splitters not allowing DC to pass to power the tvLINKs eyes, and because of an issue with the bandpass specifications.

Distributing RF to five TVs with full control via eyes requires good DC power to be available at all tvLINKs eyes points and RF amplification to ensure signal quality is good at all points.

More detail on the RF distribution cabling and splitters in place is required before any further comments and suggestions can be offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadil View Post
MY NEW SETUP (See proposed setup diagram)
- Smart LNB with New 80cm Dish (supplied with SD PVR Trade in) or existing 90cm Dish
- 3x Explora 2a connected in Xtraview with each Explora in different rooms
- Heartbeat via SLNB (as per MCMarietjie)
- Need all TV's to control All Decoders (if possible)

COMPLICATING FACTORS
If possible, I'd like to use the existing RF cabling to send the TV signal and TV link. However, in my current setup, the TV Link has never worked. The existing RF Cables have splitters between the family room & cottage and bedroom 2 & bedroom 3 (bedroom 3 not shown on diagram but next to bedroom 2)

I am looking for the most cost effective but convenient way to do this setup. We are 3 adults and 2 kids in so I'd like all the TV's to be able to control all the decoders, but I would prefer not to have to run new RF cables, but I'm willing to if required, so please advise the best way forward.

I will do the installation myself including running the cables, but as a last resort I can get an installer to activate the decoders or align the LNB, although I have aligned it before.

Please advise what distribution method is best including the relevant equipment like SLX splitter and any equipment needed at each TV point. Forum posts suggest these products but I don't know which (if any) is best for my setup
Links removed

Thanks in advance

Note:
NO HDMI distribution between the decoders is required due to the cost
The cottage wiring distance to the Dish is +-22m but I've marked it as 25m on the diagram.
MY suggestions is that you tackle this installation in two phases.

Phase 1: LNB cabling and decoder commissioning under XV3

Sort out the SLNB and the LNB cabling to all points where decoders will be placed.
The diagram provide by MC field services shows what userbands could be used. I would suggest that the Primary Explora 2A uses the default settings (0,1,2). You could use any other userbands for the remainder. Not sure why MC suggests skipping user band 6, but really it does not matter as long as no decoders share any userbands.

As the decoders are all Explora 2As, and the decoders are all in different rooms, I would suggest that HB distribution via the LNB cabling should give the best results.

The distance to the cottage is pushing it so it would be very interesting to see if you get the HB to work via the LNB cabling.

(yes I know we are using you and your install for a lab experiment, but it would help to increase the general pool of know how about installs if you do not mind).

No as a first step, you could also give us feedback after the decoders are all working and commissioned by MC (XV3) about what happens with remote control of the decoders via the front panel IR detectors.

Make sure each decoder is set to:

Respond to only one mode
Relay the other two modes
Ignore older remotes for time being.

Once installed try and control each of the decoders form each of the remote points even though you will not at this stage be able to view content remotely. We are assuming that the TVs at the decoders points will be connected to the decoders via HDMI and/or RCA.

Phase 2: The RF distribution and remote control

To follow in the next post.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-31 at 17:01. .