Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > A Great Leap Backwards
Old 2017-09-20 , 11:55
Still gets up to change channels

Angry A Great Leap Backwards

I am not a happy bear.

I have an HD single view and a SD Dual View decoder linked by Xtraview. Domestically we need three viewing environments, each with PVR capabilities.

The SD decoder is showing it's age, and I enquired with MC about replacing it with a Explora.

MC recommends replacing both decoders with the Explora 2, and a single view bog-standard HD decoder for the third viewing environment. This configuration needs an LNB upgrade and upgrades to the cabling we currently run.

Bottom line, I would need to spend a bucketload of cash, capital and recurrent, to be in the same position as I am now. Sorry, not quite right, only two of the three viewing environments have PVR functionality. Unless I buy three Explora, which also attracts a second access fee.

As it is, I will stick with the SD, reboots and all, until it finally falls off the twig. Perhaps replace it with a dualview HD decoder if I can find one on Gumtree or Bid'or'Buy.

Or perhaps toss all the MC nonsense into the bin and move to a streaming service. There are plenty streaming sites that show the sport.

So MC, what can you do to support a loyal customer of many years standing who you are currently treating with total disdain and callous disregard.

Old 2017-09-20 , 14:13
MultiChoice

Hi there, there are a number of trade in deals available to you as an SD PVR customer - details on DStv.com. We also have Explora price lock deals which includes installation and freezes your subscription for two years.

Based on what you've said, you have one single view decoder in the mix, so do I understand correctly that you only have 2 PVR environments currently?

Unfortunately technology does age and the SD PVR has been in end of support since November 2014. Making decoders with DualView capability is not possible as we were the only company in the world using that technology.

The Explora really is a big leap in terms of user experience - the interface, Catch Up, ability connect to the internet. And not to mention HD viewing which you don't have on your PVRs currently.
Old 2017-09-20 , 14:44
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad McMax View Post
Perhaps replace it with a dualview HD decoder if I can find one on Gumtree or Bid'or'Buy.
Unfortunately there's no such thing, not anything made by and usable with MC anyway.

Your best avenue may be an Explora + SD PVR for a while, with your 4136 HD Decoder stored away.
When later ready then replace the the SD PVR with a second Explora and you can then add your 4136.

The SD PVR can't handle "hi band" with everything else properly, so when those types of channels come along in a few months or years it will start to become progressively incapable. Same as any older equipment. That's when I think I'll give up on mine.
Old 2017-09-20 , 16:27
Technical Myriad

What MC is failing to inform you of is that currently, they are messing us SD PVR owners around quite a bit with the service authentication systems. Have you looked at this thread?

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37245

So while it is true that the SD PVR is showing its age, the reboots etc are NOT necessarily due to any fault with the SD PVR.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-09-20 , 16:42
Technical Myriad

And nothing MC has on offer replaces what you have at the moment.

The SD PVR gives you record one and view two with the recorded content available to BOTH viewing environments.

The HD single view decoder gives you one stand alone viewing environment.

To replace the SD PVR functionality requires two Explora decoders each with its own record capability and NO sharing between the two viewing environments.

Some would argue that you are better off because you have two record now.

The third single view HD decoder gives you what you have now.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-09-20 , 16:47
Still gets up to change channels

And what MC fails to tell you too..is that those wonderful trade in deals included installation to ONE tv, which is absolutely NEVER the case in any of these installations and modern day life. So you are going to need a complicated installation to however many tv's you have, and most of that at your own cost. So not just the additional decoder costs, but installation, cabling and conversions to digital feeds in all probability.
It's a lousy deal any way you look at it.
Old 2017-09-21 , 07:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The SD PVR gives you record one and view two with the recorded content available to BOTH viewing environments.

To replace the SD PVR functionality requires two Explora decoders each with its own record capability and NO sharing between the two viewing environments.
A bit more about this for clarity, but it's unlikely to change your circumstances even the bit it can as you clearly want to budget, so probably just for other readers;

The recorded content of Exploras or SD PVRs can be viewed in as many environments as desired.
But with the SD PVR the two delivered viewing environments can uniquely also access separate content on the same harddrive at the same time.

Further, with Exploras if another environment wants to access recorded or downloaded content that's on decoder A, then the normal main TV used for that decoder would need to access decoder B or C instead during that period which won't always be ideal or easy to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashprod View Post
those wonderful trade in deals included installation to ONE tv
This is stock standard with any of these deals and from any supplying platform, so although I agree it's far from ideal it's also not actually something abnormal nor only specifically related to the SD PVR.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-09-21 at 07:49. .