Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Now > Suggestion Box: DStv Now
Old 2016-04-22 , 10:57
Still gets up to change channels

Smile DSTV NOW APP FOR OPERA TV

please create us dstv now app for opera tv platform.
Old 2016-06-15 , 21:38
Knows how to use a remote

Default DSTV now app as an Explora Remote Control

Hi, one of the most obvious and practical applications for the DSTV Now app would be to include the full Explora Remote Control functionality as part of the app.

There should ideally be a "Remote Control" section of the app that displays a graphic screen of all the standard Explora Remote control buttons, then if my phone/tablet and my DSTV Explora are on the same WiFi network, it would be extremely useful to use my phone as an Explora remote control, especially if I move around viewing environments in multiple rooms and can simply change channels, access the TV guide etc through the DSTV now app over WiFi.

The immediate benefits would be no more lost remotes controls, worrying about batteries, or having to buy additional remotes for multiple rooms in a house.

Any plans to introduce this functionality sometime soon? Hope to get some feedback.

Regards
Greg
Old 2016-06-16 , 09:09
Changes remote batteries hourly

You'll then be interested in seeing this thread in the Remotes forum section Greg, an interim solution for at least some users: Use PVR remote on Explora (from post #9)
Old 2016-06-17 , 07:52

Thanks, checked it out, it doesn't do what I'm suggesting, which is to be able to control the Explora from my phone over WiFi, without the need for an IR/blaster hardware.

Any official response from DStv on this?
Old 2016-07-06 , 07:22
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hi, you can drop your suggestions right here on the Forum, I will make sure I share it with our content team.

Last edited by MC Lindi; 2016-07-06 at 09:28. .
Old 2016-07-17 , 14:40

Hi MC Pamela,

So any feedback from the content team on my request to add a "virtual Remote Control" screen to the DSTV Now app in order to control the Explora over a local WiFi network?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 2016-07-19 , 07:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hi Greg C, I will follow up with the DStv Now team, I will keep you updated.
Old 2016-12-11 , 15:22
Still listens to the wireless

I have subscribed to DSTV PREMIUM for 19 years, I use a PVR decoder at home, and I always use CatchUp on now.dstv.com.

But my holiday decoder is a new HD single view decoder,
which means I cannot use the website now.dstv.com while on holiday,
becuase the website says "Upgrade to DSTV Premium PVR", "You must be a DStv Premium PVR customer to view this video".

My PVR decoder is active the whole year, just not in December when I use my holiday decoder(HD single view).

Please don't tell me to take my PVR with me wherever I go.
The whole point of the website (now.dstv.com) is that you don't need a decoder in your suitcase wherever you go, when instead you can use your laptop, ipad or phone.

Please allow the system to add a PVR package to a HD or SD single view decoder so that I can continue using now.dstv.com during December holidays.

Surely it's a possible for DSTV to allow.

DSTV is not receiving the R85 PVR fee while I am on holiday in December.

DSTV can receive R1 million per month for every 12 000 Single view HD & SD decoders that subscribe to PVR at R85 per month.

It seems as if DSTV is trying to use the now.dstv.com website to force people to buy a PVR decoder, but I already own a PVR decoder.
It's a senseless objective. Surely almost all Premium subscribers already own a PVR.
If I'm a premium subscriber then why can't I use the website now.dstv.com?
I am happy to pay R85 to access the website, if DSTV would allow it.

The website has nothing to do with recording hardware and software inside a decoder.

Rather allow people to buy a PVR subscription, instead of multiple PVR decoders.

Subscription revenue is more valuable than hardware revenue.

The PVR decoder is subsidised, and there is a huge loss and no profit on the sale of another PVR decoder which is switched off for almost the entire year.

If I want my ipad to stream from the website now.dstv.com, then I need to buy DSTV's PVR Digital Video Recording hardware and software for my lounge? That doesn't make sense.
My ipad does not record the CatchUp stream from the website.
Surely I can buy the PVR subscription to access the website, without buying the PVR hardware & software.

There is not legal reason or technical reason that you need a PVR decoder to use the website to CatchUp on an Ipad?

Unless the R85 goes towards 3rd party intellectual property / licensing of PVR functionality.

If I don't own a PVR decoder, then surely I can still pay R85 per month to use the website now.dstv.com

DSTV should take the R85 whether or not people have PVR decoders. And say the R85 is for PVR and/or website access.

Separate the R85 revenue between PVR decoders and non-PVR decoders in your financial system if you need to.

Or name the R85 webiste subscription something else instead of "PVR".
Becuase watching TV on a website is definitely not the same as recording it on a decoder to playback later.

With holiday switching, DSTV already allows partial payment or pro rata payment of the monthly R85 when people switch PVR on and off between PVR and non-PVR decoders.

The website now.dstv.com should be available to Premium subscribers regardless of what decoder they have in their lounge.

I'm not complaining that I have to pay R85.
I'm complaining that the system is not allowing me to pay R85.
I will happily pay more than R85 to access the website. Now.dstv.com is the best thing DSTV has ever done.

Again: Please allow the system to add a PVR package to a HD or SD single view decoder so that I can continue using now.dstv.com during December holidays.
Or allow Premium subscribers to pay a separate R85 PVR fee if they can't add it to their single view decoder.

Thank you.

Last edited by bob_; 2016-12-11 at 15:51. .
Old 2016-12-12 , 11:46
Changes remote batteries hourly

Your post has some interesting merit Bob, why should someone going to a holiday home have to also invest in a PVR for that if its functionality is not otherwise of use, or have to lug the home decoder around (and which some may still want for use at home). I think (but don't actually know) that the main problem is going to be studio rights issues re MC not delivering a perceived separate On Demand service, and the finicky adjustment involved in allowing for some sort of exception for this.

In the meantime here's a way around it for you - I don't think MC will mind this unusual idea as it's fully above board with their requirements
Find or buy a broken PVR, you should be able to get one that's dirt cheap at a place like junkmail.co.za
Don't go for a SD PVR due to its age, I think your best bet is a 2P or 4P.
Once in your name have MC connect it as your secondary XtraView decoder attached to your holiday home primary decoder. You don't even need to physically connect it for this, just make out as if all goes well if asked any such questions. The existing primary will continue to fully work regardless, and the "attached" PVR can just be stored somewhere.

You will then obviously have online access whenever the "combination" holiday home setup is activated

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-12-12 at 11:52. . Reason: Typo
Old 2016-12-12 , 17:32
Still listens to the wireless

Thanks for the advice Optimist. I will try setup XtraView with the PVR decoder and single view decoder.