------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2018-02-13 , 10:25
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Your rants are usually spot on.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal... you stop posting your questioning of yourself and I'll stop posting that I'm leaving
I've made a couple of ... erm GOOFS!!? in the past and am always going on about the GOOD OLD DAYS so I do feel that sometimes I'm still living in the past. Why I added that bit about "am I wrong"?

I always maintain that today's sportsmen have it far too easy what with being able to take their families with them on tours, time off because they've APPARENTLY had a tough season etc etc.

Optimist, see what you've done there? You've got me going off again.

Looking forward to your next post on one of the other threads.
Old 2018-02-13 , 11:20
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Or am I once again the one that should be thinking before posting this rant?
No you're not - I agree with you on this.

My guess is that somebody thought it would be a good idea to have the speedometer graphic and passed on that request to whoever does the graphics without explaining that there's only a specific range that makes any sense, which is why we got this. Although I have to say that I'm not convinced that even if it had an appropriate scale the speedometer would be all that useful.
Old 2018-02-13 , 13:05

Apart from the speed measurement looking impressive it actually indicates the speed measured when it left the bowlers hand. By the time it reaches the batter it has slowed down to almost halve the speed indicated. Still a cricket ball traveling at 80kmh towards you can be something quite daunting to face.
You only have around 0.46 of a second before it riches you.
Herewith an extract from the physics of cricket

A ball bowled at world record bowling speeds around 160 km/hr, the drag force is 1.7 times greater than the weight of the ball. Regardless of the speed of the ball when it leaves the bowler's hand, air resistance causes the ball to slow down by about 12% by the time it lands on the pitch. It slows down by another 30% or 40% when it hits the pitch, depending on the speed of the pitch and the angle of incidence. A ball bowled at 150 km/hr will arrive 0.46 s later at the batter's end, travelling at about 85 km/hr.

Read more at http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/cricket.html
Old 2018-02-13 , 14:41

Being hit in the "midriff" at 85km/h is still sore Ask Rohit ...
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2018-02-13 , 17:47

No doubt a ball in that area will hurt. Enough to take your breath away. I was watching the game at the time and can only agree with Luke.

Getting back to the speedometer I agree with BB. Currently they reverted back to displaying the speed in digital and you can now see the speed variation. With the speedo display all look like it was bowled at 140kmh. For a while they displayed both formats and my verdict is stick to the digital display. The speedo graduation is such that you only get a very rough idea of the speed bowled.
Old 2018-02-14 , 08:48

Team India beat SA last night to secure the series win 4-1. A couple of stupid run outs from the Indians and luck at times which comes with the game, I really thought the SA would give India a run for their money yesterday but the spinners were in action again yesterday taking 6 wickets. Rohit Sharma came to the game with a good mindset - another ton for him. India's top 4 is doing well hence they set a good platform for the other batsmen to come in. History was made by Kohli and his men for winning this ODI series. Final game coming up on Friday and India want to win this game, they will probably rest a couple of players but the team will still be strong and then we look forward to the T20s
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P
Old 2018-02-14 , 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Team India beat SA last night to secure the series win 4-1. A couple of stupid run outs from the Indians and luck at times which comes with the game, I really thought the SA would give India a run for their money yesterday but the spinners were in action again yesterday taking 6 wickets. Rohit Sharma came to the game with a good mindset - another ton for him. India's top 4 is doing well hence they set a good platform for the other batsmen to come in. History was made by Kohli and his men for winning this ODI series. Final game coming up on Friday and India want to win this game, they will probably rest a couple of players but the team will still be strong and then we look forward to the T20s
Flynn please keep to the topic under discussion. We are now talking about the speedometer showing the speed of delivery of the ball bowled. Not talking about our atrocious display of cricket by the Proteas and the shellacking they have received at the hands of the Indian Cricket side. Looking at the runs scored in this series, when last I looked, the highest runscorer for the Proteas was Faf with just over 100 runs. This compared to Kohli with over 400 runs. Two other Indian batsmen were also way ahead of Faf's score. Perhaps Amla has now overtaken Faf? Just one of the gulfs between the two sides. Spin bowling of the Indians also way superior to anything the Proteas had out on the field.

Congratulations to the Indians who have totally deserved this series victory over a very poor performing Protea side.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2018-02-14 at 15:34. .
Old 2018-02-14 , 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Flynn please keep to the topic under discussion. We are now talking about the speedometer showing the speed of delivery of the ball bowled. Not talking about our atrocious display of cricket by the Proteas and the shellacking they have received at the hands of the Indian Cricket side. Looking at the runs scored in this series, when last I looked, the highest runscorer for the Proteas was Faf with just over 100 runs. This compared to Kohli with over 400 runs. Two other Indian batsmen were also way ahead of Faf's score. Perhaps Amla has now overtaken Faf?

Congratulations to the Indians who have totally deserved this series victory over a very poor performing Protea side.
Hehe BB - I see Radaba got a 15% match fee fine and also a point against him. Personally I think he deserves it because that was not sportsmanship, I understand that there is sledging in the game but swearing at your opponents, that is not on

I am surprised at how Kohli gets away with his tantrums during the game, he is very vocal and the match referee does not pick it up, I guess if there is no complaint from the umpires, the match referee cannot do much
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P
Old 2018-02-14 , 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Hehe BB - I see Radaba got a 15% match fee fine and also a point against him. Personally I think he deserves it because that was not sportsmanship, I understand that there is sledging in the game but swearing at your opponents, that is not on

I am surprised at how Kohli gets away with his tantrums during the game, he is very vocal and the match referee does not pick it up, I guess if there is no complaint from the umpires, the match referee cannot do much
Wasn't aware of any bad sledging or swearing in the game so cannot comment on what happened with Rabada. Still, old school, and think that there's nothing wrong with a bit of sledging. Guess that would also include swearing which has become common place in our society these days. Suits making the game far too 'soft'.

Kohli gets away with a lot because he is an Indian player. ICC is run by the Indians just like the FA is run by manchester united. You really know which teams to support don't you?