Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Time-Based Recordings are failing [Uganda]

Old 2010-06-04 , 11:25
Still listens to the wireless

Default Time-Based Recordings are failing [Uganda]

Hello all,

I am on DSTV Africa (Uganda), and recently switched to HD. While the picture quality is superb, the decoder is really a step back when comparing the SD PVR. I never had problems with the SD PVR, but with the HD PVR there are plenty.

The EPG is not working well at all. There are gaps, some channels (including MNet HD) were blank for a few days, although data is coming through now. So, because there was no EPG, I set up a couple of weekly recurring time-based recordings. I have now noticed that these have failed twice so far, with the Scheduled recordings screen only showing a yellow exclamation mark. There was no signal loss (at least there was no rain), and there is no additional error message available (which the SD PVR used to do).

This makes recording highly unreliable. What can I do?

Thanks

~M~

Last edited by MC Rory; 2010-06-04 at 14:35. . Reason: Title
Old 2010-06-04 , 11:38
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanja View Post
Hello all,

I am on DSTV Africa (Uganda), and recently switched to HD. While the picture quality is superb, the decoder is really a step back when comparing the SD PVR. I never had problems with the SD PVR, but with the HD PVR there are plenty.

The EPG is not working well at all. There are gaps, some channels (including MNet HD) were blank for a few days, although data is coming through now. So, because there was no EPG, I set up a couple of weekly recurring time-based recordings. I have now noticed that these have failed twice so far, with the Scheduled recordings screen only showing a yellow exclamation mark. There was no signal loss (at least there was no rain), and there is no additional error message available (which the SD PVR used to do).

This makes recording highly unreliable. What can I do?

Thanks

~M~
You need to re-learn how to set recordings on the HD PVRs. There are quite a few things that are different between how the SD decoder works and how the HD PVR's work.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-06-04 , 11:59

Thank you, but that's not very helpful. I am setting up time-based recordings. I put in the time, the channel, and the frequency. And then I expect it to record. And it doesn't. It shows an exclamation mark the next day, but no recording. What else do I need to "learn"?

I am using the PACE HD PVR btw, with four cables connecting from the dish.

~M~
Old 2010-06-04 , 12:03
MultiChoice

It depends on how many are failing, but generally, continued and multiple recording failures are normally related to the installation.
Can you let us have more info ito the number of failed recordings, are the consecutive, etc. etc
Old 2010-06-04 , 12:15
Technical Myriad

Yes you are right not very helpful, but I was trying to alert you to the fact that the two decoders do not work the same and you need to become familiar with the differences

(1) There have been reports of problems with the EPG on the Africa service over the last few days so for those issues you need to check again if they have not been resolved.

(2) You may not like to hear this BUT if the problems continue then we have to start checking out your install, because recording failures that persist are mostly due to problems with the installation. So if you can provide us with details of what the install looks like we can help you verify that all is okay.

(a) Antenna size installed
(b) Type of LNB [TWIN, SATCR, Other]
(c) Multiswitch type ( 2x4, 2x6 ) MS
(d) XV enabled? i.e have you combined this with the SD decoder using Extraview?

(3) Software version on the HD PVR: Is it the latest? see this sticky about verifying
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=6689

(4) Have you read the installation manual and ensured all settings are correct? see
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3919

Issues that are relevant:
(1) New LNB installed, Skew angle adjustments are crucial
(2) MS installed: Need to verify that all ports are working correctly and that signals are available on the connectors to tuners 1 - 4
(3) Problems with tuner 4 = problems with EPG data download
(4) problems with tuners 2,3 = failed recordings

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-06-04 at 12:18. .
Old 2010-06-04 , 12:49
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
3) Software version on the HD PVR: Is it the latest? see this sticky about verifying
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=6689
Yes check all of that, but I think it's this on IMNSHO.
Old 2010-06-04 , 12:49

Thank you for the detailed, and now indeed helpful reply!

I'll try to answer the questions, as much as I can:

1) The EPG problems seem to have been resolved now, but when I had set up the TBRs, it was still off. I had no other way of setting up any recording. I would still prefer TBRs, since there is no Series recording functionality.

2)
a) Antenna size: not entirely sure: it's the standard DSTV dish (probably 85 or 90 cm, but not sure)
b) LNB: I don't know the technical name, but it's the one with 4 connectors (from the SD PVR). I have four wires going directly from the dish to the decoder
c) No multiswitch I think
d) No XV

3) Yes, the PVR initially refused to update its software (the try again shortly error), but eventually accepted and updated itself. The red Upgrade now option is now no longer available.

4) No XtraView - so not applicable.

Issues:
1) No new LNB installed
2) Signal status: for all tuners (I'm recording 2 channels now to be certain): Strength: 98%, quality 90%. Is that suffcient? Tuner 4: fre: 12054, sr: 27500, pol: hor, fec: 3/4, sl:locked

If necessary, I can ask my DSTV installer to come over and to realign the dish (I do remember a signal quality of 100 on my old SD PVR). But would 90% also not be good?

Number of recordings:
2 have failed so far. They were both time based when EPG was off. They are both on MNet HD (170). 1 has succeeded so far (also MNet HD). No EPG-based recordings have failed so far.

Thanks for all the help.

~M~
Old 2010-06-04 , 12:56
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.
~M~
No help, I just want to say, that's a cool name.
Old 2010-06-04 , 13:08
Technical Myriad

Quote:
2)
a) Antenna size: not entirely sure: it's the standard DSTV dish (probably 85 or 90 cm, but not sure)
b) LNB: I don't know the technical name, but it's the one with 4 connectors (from the SD PVR). I have four wires going directly from the dish to the decoder

GD: Sounds like it is a quad LNB, can you tune to all channels? check especially if you can view 101 which is VER and the HD channels which are HOR. Tune to a channel and then check signal strength and quality screen which will show if it is HOR of VER.

1) No new LNB installed
2) Signal status: for all tuners (I'm recording 2 channels now to be certain): Strength: 98%, quality 90%. Is that suffcient? Tuner 4: fre: 12054, sr: 27500, pol: hor, fec: 3/4, sl:locked

Well one would like to say 90% quality is okay but the HD decoder requires the best possible. Normally, if it is not at 100% it means the LNB skew angle needs adjustment as the signal strength is at 98%. Check what the values are when tuned to a VER channel (101) and a HOR channel (170) or FTV ( 184?) Both should show the same signal quality level and should not vary. If not both the same (90% or better) and vary then antenna alignment may be necessary.

If necessary, I can ask my DSTV installer to come over and to realign the dish (I do remember a signal quality of 100 on my old SD PVR). But would 90% also not be good?

Number of recordings:
2 have failed so far. They were both time based when EPG was off. They are both on MNet HD (170). 1 has succeeded so far (also MNet HD). No EPG-based recordings have failed so far.

Suggests a problem with HOR channels = issue with skew angle

Thanks for all the help.

~M~
Let us know.
Old 2010-06-04 , 13:33

Actually - the horizontal channel of Universal (108) has a strength of 93%, quality 90%. The next channel, TCM (109) which is vertical according to the signal status has 98%/90%. M-Net HD also has 98%/90% (and vertical).

I should note though that the weather has changed, and that it may rain at any time.

I can tune into all the channels. I don't get any square blocks or anything during normal weather.

I take that based on that, the antenna should be re-aligned?

Thanks for all the help.

~M~

Tags
epg, hd pvr, recording