Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > XtraView limitations compared to DualView

Old 2012-05-31 , 15:26
Still listens to the wireless

Question XtraView limitations compared to DualView

Hi fellow forum posters,

I'm really hoping someone can put my mind at ease with what I'm sure must be a misunderstanding on my part.

Either I'm not understanding the Xtraview pdf from the first sticky or Xtraview is not nearly as good as DualView.

I have replaced my SDPVR in the lounge with a HDPVR 2P and now I want to move my SDPVR to the bedroom and what I was hoping for was that once there that the two PVRs would be able to "see" each others playlists therefore giving me the ability to record something in one environment and then watch it in the other.

It's at this point that I think I must be missing something because the way I have read it is, if I want to watch something that was recorded in the lounge, in the bedroom I must first change the source on the TV in the bedroom to RF and then I'll have full control of the HDPVR in the lounge and then watch my recording.

Thanks
Tony
Old 2012-05-31 , 15:33
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
It's at this point that I think I must be missing something because the way I have read it is, if I want to watch something that was recorded in the lounge, in the bedroom I must first change the source on the TV in the bedroom to RF and then I'll have full control of the HDPVR in the lounge and then watch my recording.
Unfortunately, that is correct. This means that another person wanting to watch HD in the lounge will have to wait until you have finished your recording.

A possible solution is as follows (the setup that I have done).

HDPVR AND SDPVR in the lounge, giving you three separate viewing environments. I have programmed my remotes and TV's such that everywhere in the house

Channel 1 = SDPVR 1
Channel 2 = SDPVR 2
Channel 3 = HDPVR

I then use the HDPVR for recording HD content that I wish to watch in the lounge and the SDPVR for recording all the SD content that the wife and kids are likely to watch elsewhere in the house.

I believe that the advertising on this issue isn't clear. Others disagree. I long for a whole home DVR solution.
Old 2012-05-31 , 15:33

Hello Tone, Welcome to the forum

The basics of setup I will ignore for now, but you have pretty much the same setup as me

The SD PVR as you know will record one and you can watch 2 on different TV's
so you can watch channel 101 in the lounge and 400 in the bedroom
on the HD you can only watch one and record one

when in XV mode you if you want to watch something off the SDPVR you are on that channel if connected via RF or via AV1 AV2 etc

but you would have to chance the channel or source to watch the HD PVR
there are distribution options other than RF. but to simply answer what I think you are asking. No the 2 decoders do not merge / cluster to become "one unit" with shared playlists etc.
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:04

Firstly I can not believe the speed of the response to my question and thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm, this is really a pity as it really throws my plans out the window. Do either of you know if I can achieve my plan if I use two HDPVR2Ps? If so then I'll go out this weekend buy another one.
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:06

Quote:
Hmmm, this is really a pity as it really throws my plans out the window. Do either of you know if I can achieve my plan if I use two HDPVR2Ps? If so then I'll go out this weekend buy another one.
You're probably better off with the SDPVR as that allows you to watch two different things from the same device unless you want HD in your bedroom for some reason.
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You're probably better off with the SDPVR as that allows you to watch two different things from the same device unless you want HD in your bedroom for some reason.
What I really want is an SDPVR with HD or a HDPVR with dualview :-) and I was hoping that was still possible but by using two decoders instead of one.

So all XtraView really is, is a way for Multichoice to ensure that the two decoders you have are under the same roof so that you only pay one subscription.
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:16
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
What I really want is an SDPVR with HD or a HDPVR with dualview :-) and I was hoping that was still possible but by using two decoders instead of one.

So all XtraView really is, is a way for Multichoice to ensure that the two decoders you have are under the same roof so that you only pay one subscription.
It also allows HD in more than one environment and all the services to work on both environments.

Dualview is dead concept in MC eyes and have no plans to have it again.

The next gen decoder may be able to play recordings from the other's Xtraview.

Things do change and therefore MC may pull one out the box here, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

G
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:19

Okay what I'm going to do, seeing that the TV in the bedroom is mainly for my wife, is just get her to setup her recordings on both decoders and then that way she'll never have to assume control of the lounge one while lying in bed.

Oh and thanks to all of you for your answers.

Last edited by Tone; 2012-05-31 at 16:21. .
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:28

Slightly off topic but would also work is if Multichoice allowed the use of the keyboard when using the DSTV OnDemand Silverlight app cause then I could just plug a pc into the TV and buy a IR remote and program it to send keyboard commands.

Ah one can dream.
Old 2012-05-31 , 16:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:

Correct -- all XV does is couple two decoders togetehr under one subscription.

It does not matter which ones you have, you can only view what is recorded on a decoder from its viewing environment.

2 x 2P = the ability to record 2 and view 2, but IF you are busy viewing a recording on decoder 1, that viewing envronment can't be sued to now view live TV as well.

XV is NOT a replacement for a dualview SD PVR, where it is possible to view live TV and a recording at the same time or even 2 recordings at the same time.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Tags
dualview, hdpvr 2p, recording, sdpvr, xtraview