Forum > Decoders > Installation > Need Help - Explora and PVR2
Old 2017-03-17 , 15:15
Still listens to the wireless

Default Need Help - Explora and PVR2

Hi All

New to this Forum and had a real battle to get onto it!!

I have an Explora 1 and my older PVR 2 and I want to hook them together (only running Explora now) I have a twin cable Dish and the Switch that comes with the Explora.

I have a second TV in the Bedroom and want to put that one onto the PVR. (right now it just echos the main TV in the Lounge). I'm NOT an expert at doing this but have always done my own installations since I first had DSTV many years ago.

But I can't find the information I need. I'm looking for a basic diagram of how to wire this up and any settings I need to do to the two units. Also I find lots of references to a "Heart Beat" cable. What is this, where do I get it and how do I connect it??

Emailing DSTV just gets me the answer - "Go to an Installer" and I'm not happy with this. I know I can do it myself if I have the right information!!

Thanks for any help.
Old 2017-03-17 , 15:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The quickest and easiest way get all the setting right and the extra view setup is to take the 2 decoders to a walk in center or a agency. They will do the necessary changes on the decoder settings needed

The heart beat cable is simply a coax cable running from the primary decoder to the secondary decoder to be able to have two viewing environments under one subscription. It runs from the one of the rf ports on the primary decoder to one of the rf ports on the secondary decoder. The agent doing the setup will be able to tell you which two ports to link.

There should be a spare unicable port on the lnb switch you have that can use to connect up the second decoder to the dish
Old 2017-03-17 , 16:03

Thanks John
Have you been to one of these centers up here? You sit around for half a day and often get an assistant with limited skills - very frustrating!!

Reading up everything I can I'm confused about where to position the PVR. Some say together with the Explora (where it is now) - others say in the Bedroom. Which do you recommend?

Another question - is it possible to get a audio feed from the back of the Explora to feed to an Amplifier for 5.1 sound??

I appreciate the help.
Old 2017-03-17 , 18:22

Witty regardless you will need MC to setup and activate extra view. So the choice is either the call center or a walk in center.

If you prefer the call center you need to complete the installation prior to phoning because you need both decoders fully functional and talking to each other via the heartbeat cable.

I prefer the decoders close to the TV so that I can use a HDMI cable for HD viewing and there is no need for extra hardware and settings for the remote controls.

What model PVR will you be using. It is needed to help you with network settings if you want to do the settings yourself.
Old 2017-03-18 , 10:06

Hi Jan
I already have Xtra-View and my PVR model is marked "HDPVR (+2)" and it is still hooked-up to the original switch but is not currently in use.

I'm still looking for a circuit diagram so that I can see how all this stuff goes together as I mentioned.

I also need an answer about sound off the back of the Explora to feed an Amplifier.
Old 2017-03-18 , 10:33
Technical Myriad

Right here are few things you need to confirm first.

(1) TWIN LNB and an Explora 5-1 switch? If so then the ONLY way to get a reliable service is to connect the Explora to port A on the 5-1 switch. Port B on the switch does not support any other decoder properly and should NOT be used.
Note that the two cables coming form the LNB MUST be connected to H/L and V/L on the 5-1 switch.

(2) The HD PVR2P ( the black Pace version of this decoder) is then connected to the two ports directly below the H/L and V/L ports on the 5-1 switch. It is better to make sure that the V/L cable goes to the port marked SATCR on the HD PVR2P, although it should not matter.

(3) a separate HB cable is then run between the decoders connected to whatever port you wish to use on the Explora ( which should be set as the Primary decoder) and a RF port on the HD PVR2P.

(4) Where are the decoders currently installed? In the same room next to each other implies that you will have to distribute RF to other rooms for viewing there.

The alternative is to install the HD PVR2P in the other room which will then allow you to easily use an HDMI connection to a HD TV.
It depends on where the 5-1 switch is installed as to how easy this is going to be.

I would strongly suggest you do this in stages first.

Note

(1) IF you want a more future proof installation then you must seriously consider replacing the TWIN LNB with a SLNB and removing the 5-1 switch out of the picture all together.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-18 , 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty View Post
Hi All

New to this Forum and had a real battle to get onto it!!

I have an Explora 1 and my older PVR 2 and I want to hook them together (only running Explora now) I have a twin cable Dish and the Switch that comes with the Explora.

I have asecond TV in the Bedroom and want to put that one onto the PVR. (right now it just echos the main TV in the Lounge). I'm NOT an expert at doing this but have always done my own installations since I first had DSTV many years ago.

But I can't find the information I need. I'm looking for a basic diagram of how to wire this up and any settings I need to do to the two units. Also I find lots of references to a "Heart Beat" cable. What is this, where do I get it and how do I connect it??

Emailing DSTV just gets me the answer - "Go to an Installer" and I'm not happy with this. I know I can do it myself if I have the right information!!

Thanks for any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty View Post
Hi Jan
I already have Xtra-View and my PVR model is marked "HDPVR (+2)" and it is still hooked-up to the original switch but is not currently in use.

I'm still looking for a circuit diagram so that I can see how all this stuff goes together as I mentioned.

I also need an answer about sound off the back of the Explora to feed an Amplifier.
You say you have extra view and the PVR decoder is hooked up to the multi switch.

In the opening line of the thread you say you want to hook the decoders together. To clear up possible confusion allow me to explain what “extra view” mean. To activate the PVR function you pay an access fee of R85 per month.

The R85 entitle you to hook up a second decoder to your existing one to create a completely independent viewing environment free of charge. But it has to be activated and setup by MC

If the XV decoder is a PVR it allows you to record access CU and BO from that environment as well
The 2 decoders need to be connected together via a heartbeat cable at all times to function to ensure that the system in not abused.

In order for someone like Geoff, a very experienced installer and technical knowledgeable formite, to help you with the problem please tell us exactly what current setup you have.

If you already have extra view the 2 decoders should be hook together via a heartbeat cable and all you need to do is hook up the bedroom TV to the HD PVR 2P bearing in mind all the parameters sett out by Geoff above

Regarding the Sound problem I suggest you read through the thread over here http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=23317

Last edited by Jan Horn; 2017-03-18 at 20:28. .
Old 2017-03-20 , 11:39
4K, baby!

Just my two cents worth regarding whether the two decoders should be installed next to one another or in seperate rooms.

I originally had both decoders standing next to each other in the lounge but then had to use a infra red type remote in the bedroom which linked to the 2U decoder in the lounge. (Sorry the name of this set up escapes me for the moment.) It was the 2U decoder that was being used for the bedroom tv. Worked fairly well but what got to me was that whenever there was a problem with the decoder and it required a reboot I'd have to get out of bed and go to the lounge to do the reboot. Seem to remember having one or two other issues with this system as well. I now have the decoder installed in the bedroom and find this much more to my liking.
Old 2017-03-20 , 12:10

Thanks Geoff and Jan
The "Mud is clearing" and I'm starting to get the picture!!

My set-up.....
The two decoders are next to each other in the Lounge
The Twin LNB cables are on the H/L and V/L Multiswitch Ports
The Explora ia feed from Port 'A'
Currently the HD PVR(2) is not in use but is still attached to the old Multiswitch from when it was my primary decoder. (I understand I now have to connect this to Ports 1 and 2 on the new switch that is feeding the Explora)
I then must make up a coaxial HB cable to link these two together.
The feed to my Lounge TV has a T-piece connector that feeds a second cable to the bedroom (approx 25m away) to feed the small bedroom TV.
What I want to do is have the ability to watch one channel in the Lounge (from the Explora) and have a second Channel showing in the Bedroom (from the HD PVR). It would be nice to be able to change the channels in the Bedroom with the HD PVR Remote but that is not essential. The cost of an HDMI cable worries me as it is 25m away and that will be very expensive!!

Thanks also for the info on the sound feed. My Amplifier is an old Kenwood and I don't know if it has HDMI or Optical Ports. I will have to pull it out and have a look.

VERY many thanks for all your kind help!!

IanW
Old 2017-03-20 , 12:51

It would be far cheaper to run cables from the Multi switch to the bedroom for the HD 2P PVR and to use the existing cable feeding the bedroom TV as the heartbeat cable.

Last edited by Jan Horn; 2017-03-20 at 13:08. .