Forum > Discussions > Discussions > What should MCs prime focus be with DSTV Services?
Old 2017-03-14 , 07:21
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Agree with you both, however as important as repeats are it's not the direct point which needs clearing up.
Unless there's something going on we don't know about, there's no problem with anyone being forced to only be able to use CU+ , just confusion.

BUT, some of that confusion could very well be due to lack of repeats, I suspect that some people are discovering the programs too late.
Bottom line for me:

1. Every episode of every series needs to be repeated once at least, not including 901.
2. Tv should be broadcast, I shoudn't have to download via the internet if I don't want to.
Old 2017-03-14 , 07:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

Fully agree. The difference between unwanted repeats as fillers and enough repeats of what is needed must be understood properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
2. Tv should be broadcast, I shoudn't have to download via the internet if I don't want to.
Absolutely. Only responding in case this causes anyone any further worry, this concern itself doesn't exist and I can't see them ever doing that as it would go against the fundamental basis of what the service delivery is about, as Geoff said.
What happened was just another CU mistake...
Old 2017-03-14 , 07:56

There is one sort of exception I've just remembered - the few additional lightweight DStv Now channels that aren't otherwise available as they're a bonus offering for that particular additional service option.
Although that has nothing to do with CU+ , DStv Now isn't available at all in areas without access coverage.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-14 at 08:40. . Reason: Details correction
Old 2017-03-14 , 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Absolutely. Only responding in case this causes anyone any further worry, this concern itself doesn't exist and I can't see them ever doing that as it would go against the fundamental basis of what the service delivery is about, as Geoff said.
What happened was just another CU mistake...
This is possibly becoming a slightly circular agrument, but:

The impression I get when there is no repeat available, and I'm unable to record it, and it will not be available on CU, MC's fallback position is to say that it is available on CU+.

So, they may not be discarding broadcasting in favour of downloading, but I feel that it has become their answer to a lot of problems I in particular experience. And I have felt slightly pressurised to go that route....
Old 2017-03-14 , 09:06
Technical Myriad

I accept the possibility that the perceptions are driven by "mistakes". But then the continual occurrence of a "mistake" turns it into "normal" and hence builds on the incorrect perception giving it more life until it becomes the rule.

The EPG and its accuracy has been an issue since the very early days of PVRs in SA. Before PVRs, we had one chance and one chance only to see a program and we would drop everything to be in front of the box on the right day at the right time. Then we started to get second chances and sometimes 3 or more chances with repeats. Gradually the importance of EPG accuracy seemed to have been watered.

This is an appeal to MC to get back to basics, and make sure they are still properly addressing their prime service obligations, which are to broadcast entertainment services according to pretty stable schedule. THEN MC can spend as much time and effort on these "add ons" as they like.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-14 , 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I accept the possibility that the perceptions are driven by "mistakes". But then the continual occurrence of a "mistake" turns it into "normal" and hence builds on the incorrect perception giving it more life until it becomes the rule.

The EPG and its accuracy has been an issue since the very early days of PVRs in SA. Before PVRs, we had one chance and one chance only to see a program and we would drop everything to be in front of the box on the right day at the right time. Then we started to get second chances and sometimes 3 or more chances with repeats. Gradually the importance of EPG accuracy seemed to have been watered.

This is an appeal to MC to get back to basics, and make sure they are still properly addressing their prime service obligations, which are to broadcast entertainment services according to pretty stable schedule. THEN MC can spend as much time and effort on these "add ons" as they like.
I second the above.
Old 2017-03-14 , 10:49

Likewise, I'm sure all of those concerned.

The timing of this thread is excellent, the popularity of their online services is growing strongly.
See this new thread in the DStv Now section: Multi-screen viewership booms with DStv Now (DStv Now Stats)

So MC naturally must also move in that direction, and Now () they must further consider the "standard" services users' concerns as well...
Old 2017-03-14 , 14:20
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

What irks me is that some shows seem to have one episode every month (just when is Lethal Weapon broadcast?), yet when you search online you find that in reality we're several weeks behind. So there is no reason why the programme isn't being aired.

I was absolutely amazed to see what extra programmes showed up when I linked my Explora to the internet. There were far too many for comfort. Essentially telling people "it's available on CU+" is a cop out. You should not need a third party provider to access the services you're paying for as part of your subscription. Essentially Multichoice charge us an access fee to get to CU+, AND then we still have to pay for our internet data to get it. So essentially, we're paying for it twice (at least).

I have found a different online service provider for my series. So what Multichoice do with this for the moment is not overly important to me. As I have said before, in less than a year my Price Lock contract comes to an end, and with it quite possibly my dstv altogether.

And I will definitely not be the only one thinking this way. And still Multichoice do nothing to consider this threat to their business.
Old 2017-03-14 , 17:25
Knows how to use a remote

@Orangell I think you make a very good point with regards to paying twice for a tv show. Essentially this is what is happening for me too.

The EPG - TV Guide is so 90's in UI department, I struggle to find my show, the search is horrendous for me hence I never use it. It is slow and not intuitive. Can't it recommend shows to me, learn what I like to watch, remind me and auto record?

I would love to have a more interactive EPG - TV Guide on my iPad, and with remote recording actually being able to record series and not just a once off episode
Old 2017-03-14 , 17:59
4K, baby!

Default Wow!

Wow guys, I've just seen this lively debate for the first time

Interesting points and personal preferences. All with some merit.

Here's a pennyworth. I'm easy to please.

I don't really care when a programme is broadcast first time and, equally, I don't really care about repeats or whether it eventually lands up on my decoder or direct to my telly from a satellite dish, terrestrial antenna or over the internet, provided both the audio and video quality is acceptable.

What I DO want is the freedom to call up a movie, individual programme or a series as and when I want to view it; preferably available to "binge watch" the entire season over a few days.

I spend almost half the year based in the UK, so I'm fortunate to have greater freedom than many people currently do in SA. Increasingly, I am turning to non-traditional, connected services for my viewing. Netflix, Amazon and the BBC, ITV, and C4 players.

I can see a time in the not-too-distant future when I only use "broadcast" services for live sport, the news and current affairs programmes. (though much of this is also available as a connected service)

I also use Amazon Music Library to stream a great selection of music, pretty much all day, every day (with the lyrics scrolling on the telly). Or I set up a play list on my smartphone which I cast to the Smart TV.

I used to watch VH1 Classic or listen to classic rock on DMX; rarely now as the alternatives are simply better.

I have good connectivity at my UK and SA residences so all this stuff just works.

MC needs to take cognisance of the valid criticism of its catch-up and streaming services, posted elsewhere. These point out the buffering problems frequently experienced. Failure to quickly address such issues will otherwise see them miss the boat into this critical market. Subscribers are simply no longer prepared to accept a substandard streaming service with missing or incorrectly early expiring episodes; or with incorrect EPG descriptions.They will eventually vote with their feet

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-03-14 at 18:15. .