Forum > Content > General > Pointless
Old 2017-03-15 , 12:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Thank you for a very informative feedback Marietjie. hopefully we will see some new material on BBC Soon.
Old 2017-03-15 , 13:38
Changes remote batteries daily

I honestly hope something comes from this but, to be very honest, my expectations are VERY low. This has been an issue for YEARS - not just months. If they were serious about fixing this there should have been improvements by now.

To tell us we will be getting season 5 of Pointless later in the year does not even go 1% to make me happier...I want seasons 5 to 16 back to back (even double episodes) and,once we have caught up, I want the UK episodes a few days after the UK gets them.... That's what I expect as a Premium subscriber. And that's jut one of their programs - there are many similar ones. This channel does not even deliver 2 hours of new content per day - on some days ZERO.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-15 , 13:44
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
That's what I expect as a Premium subscriber.
Based on what MoM said - that's no doubt part of the problem, BBC Brit is not Premium only.
However, that wouldn't excuse the on-going extreme extent of the problem with this channel.
Old 2017-03-15 , 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Based on what MoM said - that's no doubt part of the problem, BBC Brit is not Premium only.
However, that wouldn't excuse the on-going extreme extent of the problem with this channel.
Yup - fully agree. But then MC needs to make a plan to find... or create... a PREMIUM channel that gives us up to date BBC programming (other than BBC FIRST dramas). The BBC has a LOT of other programming that we never get to see... or see years late....while all we get is the same over and over and over.

If BBC BRIT says they do not have the rights then it either means someone else has it or it could potentially be bought by someone.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-15 , 13:57
MultiChoice

We listened to a very interesting talk by the regional VP for BBC about rights issues. The way it works, is that even if the BBC has commissioned a show (as in they pay for it), the distribution rights still remain with the actual creator of the show (which in most instances is NOT the BBC). That is why there are some shows that you will on BBC in the UK, that the BBC do not have the rights to for South Africa as that sits with the creator of the show.

This is a very complex world, so not as simple is - there is this show XYZ in the UK on BBC, it should be on BBC here in SA.
Old 2017-03-15 , 14:04

Thanks MoM - fully understood. Fact remains though that SOMEONE should be able to obtain those rights if the BBC can't or doesn't want them. Let's replace M-Net Edge with M-Net British??
Old 2017-03-15 , 14:09
MultiChoice

Hahaha @Krugie! Remember M-Net and other channels like FOX and Universal do carry some British content. So important to keep an eye on highlights though the email newsletter and series calendar on the website.
Old 2017-03-15 , 14:55
4K, baby!

Thanks for the feedback MoM. We can always rely on you to be helpful even if sometimes what you tell us isn't what we want to hear.

I'm afraid though that I'm with Krugie here and my expectations for this channel are very low. But, I'll be very happy to be proven wrong. Just a pity, but understandable, that we will have to wait a good few months to see what changes to the schedule are in store for us.
Old 2017-03-15 , 15:51
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
We listened to a very interesting talk by the regional VP for BBC about rights issues. The way it works, is that even if the BBC has commissioned a show (as in they pay for it), the distribution rights still remain with the actual creator of the show (which in most instances is NOT the BBC). That is why there are some shows that you will on BBC in the UK, that the BBC do not have the rights to for South Africa as that sits with the creator of the show.

This is a very complex world, so not as simple is - there is this show XYZ in the UK on BBC, it should be on BBC here in SA.
It seem that the BBC is all too willing to accept payment for the broadcasting rights of their channels in this country but is not prepared to cover the additional cost for the distribution fights for more up to date content. Paying over and over again for the same content..... I am hesitant to call it by its real name.

Only time will tell If they will respond to our complaints but I am with Krugie and BB highly skeptical of any improvement.
Old 2017-04-05 , 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
I honestly hope something comes from this but, to be very honest, my expectations are VERY low. This has been an issue for YEARS - not just months. If they were serious about fixing this there should have been improvements by now.
As I've posted in my original Pointless thread, we will be back to season 3 of Pointless again on 12 April when Season 4 ends. And after that The Best Of Top Gear Season 1 starts again.

I don't wanna say "I told you so" but my VERY low expectations are being fully met ...actually surpassed... by this channel...