Forum > Content > Sport > Cape Town Cycle Tour
Old 2017-03-10 , 14:03
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Cape Town Cycle Tour

The largest single day timed event in the world is happening on Sunday in Cape Town. And the only coverage on so-called Supersport is a pathetic little highlights package at 21:00 that will probably show 10 minutes of the Elite riders and nothing else.

I suppose the rights were too expensive, or that the focus group indicated that there isn't enough interest...although 45000 entries to an event would seem to indicate there is substantial interest...

Thankfully, it is being streamed via the official Cycle Tour website, if anyone is interested, from 6am to 1pm, with a repeat from 1.
Old 2017-03-10 , 14:21
4K, baby!

Yep, yet another FAIL by our Supersport team. Surely they could have supplied SOME live content on Sunday morning? What other live sports are there going to be from around six in the morning that they will be bringing us? Repeats of the previous day's football and the cricket test between the Protea's and New Zealand.

Very strange scheduling by Supersport in my humble opinion. They are to be thanked for bringing us the cycling events that they do give to us but then when it comes to what I think is the biggest cycling event on the South African calendar they once again, 'drop the ball'.

Suppose they've been told by their "panel" that there's not enough interest in this event.
Old 2017-03-10 , 14:38
Technical Myriad

My Daughter is riding again this year. Arrived last night in Slaapstad.

So we were looking forward to having some coverage but ....
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-10 , 14:46
SuperSport

We have in the past broadcast this event live, in 2015. This year the event organizer have decided to take the live streaming route.
Old 2017-03-10 , 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sandile View Post
We have in the past broadcast this event live, in 2015. This year the event organizer have decided to take the live streaming route.
And what did we get in 2016? Same pathetic highlights package we're getting this year. Small wonder the organisers went a different route. With Supersport not picking up many local events I wonder if this isn't going to be the way of the future: organisers simply doing their own thing. They've got fixed cameras at the start and finish, four motorbikes covering the riders in between, and drones showing scenic overhead shots. All anchored by the voice of cycling, Phil Liggett himself. If they pull it off properly, I can see this being the way a lot of local sport content will be shown in future (the use of drones is interesting, since this could also be utilised for the Absa Cape Epic, where we also don't get any real coverage). Some of the tech involved with drone filming is impressive to say the least.

Geoff, check out the official website of the event. It's a streamed coverage, but it's better than nothing.

Not that I could or can watch any of it...I'm starting when the Pro's are just about finished (they may even already be finished if it's a fast year), and by the time I'm done the streaming will have long since finished!!

Last edited by OrangeII; 2017-03-10 at 15:07. .
Old 2017-03-10 , 15:06
Technical Myriad

Drone technologies have made it possible for far better coverage than in the olde days. I was involved with a few event coverages in the days when the SABC/Sentech went all out to provide local coverage of events such as the Comrades etc, and it was a really complicated process, what with high flying aircraft and microwave links.
A pity the have not yet decided to remove those motor bikes completely from the picture!

But now that the technology is available, what do we get? less and less coverage unless undertaken by the organisers themselves.

An aside: Let us hope the weather plays ball this year. But it looks like it could be quite a windy event based on what we saw about the weather this morning.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-10 at 15:09. .
Old 2017-03-10 , 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Drone technologies have made it possible for far better coverage than in the olde days. I was involved with a few event coverages in the days when the SABC/Sentech went all out to provide local coverage of events such as the Comrades etc, and it was a really complicated process, what with high flying aircraft and microwave links.
A pity the have not yet decided to remove those motor bikes completely from the picture!

But now that the technology is available, what do we get? less and less coverage unless undertaken by the organisers themselves.

An aside: Let us hope the weather plays ball this year. But it looks like it could be quite a windy event based on what we saw about the weather this morning.
Yeah, not looking forward to the wind, but it is what it is.

Seen footage taken from a drone filming some friends of mine on Hoogekraal MTB trail. Guy flying the thing sat in the car park, and followed them down. The tech even exists to tell the drone to "follow" a rider, and it'll basically fly itself until told otherwise. You almost don't need the motorbike anymore. Given some of the crashes last year in Europe, that may not be such a bad idea either. But in high winds and poor weather the bike is probably still the better platform.
Old 2017-03-10 , 16:05
Technical Myriad

You have a point there! the wind could make right mess of drone coverage!

Are you taking part? If so good luck on the day. My daughter normally completes the race in 3hrs to 3 hrs and 20 minutes.
Old 2017-03-10 , 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You have a point there! the wind could make right mess of drone coverage!

Are you taking part? If so good luck on the day. My daughter normally completes the race in 3hrs to 3 hrs and 20 minutes.
Yep, I am one of the 35000 foolish people who entered this silly pedal around the rock thing (it's my first - so I'm not 100% sure what to expect). But there's no way on this earth I'm finishing in a sub 3:30. I'm targeting a sub 5:30...or as long as it's a 6:59:59 or less!!

Good luck to your daughter, and to anyone else riding! Be safe, and most of all, enjoy!
Old 2017-03-10 , 16:40
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeII View Post
Yep, I am one of the 35000 foolish people who entered this silly pedal around the rock thing (it's my first - so I'm not 100% sure what to expect). But there's no way on this earth I'm finishing in a sub 3:30. I'm targeting a sub 5:30...or as long as it's a 6:59:59 or less!!

Good luck to your daughter, and to anyone else riding! Be safe, and most of all, enjoy!

Ja I think you are all crazy! But still according to my daughter, it is worth every minute of pain and anguish. The bragging rights that come with completing your first race are apparently something else!