Forum > Content > General > DStvís M-Net channels get a refresh
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:06
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Lindi View Post
Hi Puggy

I grew up in a township and the Harry Potter movies, for example, are some of my favourite movies of all time. Perhaps tell me what kind of shows/movies would you like to see.
MC Lindi movies we watch at the bioskop were action with actors like Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sylvester Stallone, Denzel Washington, Steven Seagal, etc. Comedy we expect Leon Schuster, Terence Hill & Bud Spencer. Who knows Harry Potter in a township? Fairness should prevail at MC
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:08
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggy View Post
MC Lindi movies we watch at the bioskop were action with actors like Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sylvester Stallone, Denzel Washington, Steven Seagal, etc. Comedy we expect Leon Schuster, Terence Hill & Bud Spencer. Who knows Harry Potter in a township? Fairness should prevail at MC
There are a number of movie festivals and pop-up channels planned in 2017 - more news will come out soon. I know that one of those is an action-type pop-up channel. So don't despair, your needs are catered for as well.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
And as there is no omnibus on the weekend anymore, there is more space to show fresh content. There will be new shows on a Saturday night too.
I've just done some quick sums. Now that Saturdays will be showing new content, that six days with six hours of new content (18:00 - 00:00), which comes to a total of 36 hours.

Currently, M-Net has new content from 18:00 to 22:30 Monday to Friday, so that's 5 x 4.5 for a total of 22.5 hours per week. I'm not sure if Saturdays have been showing new content as a number of sitcoms did move to week nights, so it could be more.

M-Net Edge has new content from 19:00 to 22:00 Monday to Friday, so that's 5 x 3, for a total of 15 hours. I haven't included shows that start after 22:00, as that's not a regular thing.

That means that M-Net and Edge together have at least 37.5 hours of new content per week, which is more than the 36 hours under the new model. Or have I made a mistake somewhere?
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:24
Changes remote batteries hourly

Now dealing with the new realities we face...
I don't watch a lot of live (or recorded) TV so I'm not sure how things currently stand with this, but the reality shows broadcast late afternoon / early evening have caused many headaches with overruns affecting scheduling in the past. It was a problem on weekends in particular.
If still an issue, they need to find new slots or a new channel.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
M-Net Edge has new content from 19:00 to 22:00 Monday to Friday, so that's 5 x 3, for a total of 15 hours. I haven't included shows that start after 22:00, as that's not a regular thing.
M-Net Edge also has some new content on weekend nights.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:32
4K, baby!

This is all bad news as far as I'm concerned. Often there is much fanfare about giving us new channels like a number of movie channels and how much better it's going to be for our viewing experience. Believe this must also have come about due to "viewer research"? Then awhile later, like now, this self same "viewer research" prompts these latest changes. None of which is really good news.

Can anyone tell me how many channels we have in fact LOST over the past couple of months? Won't even say anything about the content lost on the Sports Channels. MC losing the plot and going to be losing the viewers as well.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:36
Still gets up to change channels

Default DStvís M-Net channels get a refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Hi there, yes M-Net Family channel will be discontinued.

Vuzu and M-Family had significant content sharing and similar viewer profiles. By dropping M-Net Family, we are now able to merge some of M-Family top shows into the already strong VUZU schedule.

As a treat to our Family customers, we’ll make VUZU available to the DStv Family package from 1 April 2017. Our Premium and Compact audience will experience fewer repeats and our Family audience will now receive a stronger and more resonant channel.
Hi MC Marietjie, thank you for the response.

Both VUZU and M-Family showed content that was new to Compact subscribers. By merging the two channels together, we are ultimately going to lose new content. As I understand it, VUZU is a youth channel. What will happen to shows such as The Doctors and Masterchef Australia? I find it difficult to believe they will be shown on a youth channel such as VUZU.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
M-Net Edge also has some new content on weekend nights.
That's right - I'd forgotten that they'd started that recently. So that makes a bigger gap between what we currently get and what we will be getting.
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:47
MultiChoice

We've posted some show information on the DStv.com article (at the bottom of the article) - http://www.dstv.com/en-za/news/m-net...fresh-20170301
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Must admit, I never had a problem finding my shows. I had a problem finding sufficient repeats.
I think you're talking about a different type of repeats from the ones that this channel merge claims to be addressing.

Repeats can probably be classified into three main areas:
  1. Repeats outside prime time. These are the repeats you're referring to, and I suppose could be regarded as good repeats as they allow for recording when there are clashes.
  2. Repeats of older/recent shows. Currently, I think this only happens during prime time at the weekends and late night during the week,
  3. Repeats as a result of production breaks. Just going by the M-Net Facebook page (although I would imagine that they're not just relying on that feedback), this seems to be the main cause for complaints about repeats.
So it seems like the new structure affects 1 negatively as there's now less space for those repeats, eliminates 2 for the most part as Saturdays will now have new content, and doesn't address 3 at all.