Forum > Content > General > DStvís M-Net channels get a refresh
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:17
4K, baby!

Cannot say that I'm impressed with the combining of Channels 101 and 102. Cannot understand what brought this about We get told this is what the viewers wanted? Well, definitely not this viewer. Also not in favour of these "back to back" episodes. Means one may have to watch the same show for two continuous hours if one is already recording something on another channel. Not everyone is able to sit in front of the tv for this length of time due to other commitments. Hopefully there will be repeats later in the week. However, with two channels now becoming one I fear there may not be as many repeats as we would require. Catch Up is available yes but there's not that much space available on the 2P Decoder's hard drive to store too many titles. So, there's going to be a lot of dissatisfied customers out there. Please stop only thinking about those with Explora's and try to concentrate on those people who DON'T have the Explora as well. They too are paying Premium subscriptions but are not receiving the service they deserve. PS - I do have an Explora so I can access the Catch Up and Catch Up Plus content.

Changes taking place with the channels and their content over the past year or two are definitely not meeting with my approval. Including the Sports Channels here.

By combining these channels and the other changes being made will this mean a saving in running costs for MC?

One disappointed viewer. Although, perhaps, one should see how this all works out before being too critical.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2017-03-01 at 11:26. .
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:24
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
I'm to shocked to process this right now, but I'm very unhappy Space with 2 channels was a struggle for all the series, now we are being reduced to one channel
Mad Cat - please note that you wont be losing any of the content. The series from M-Net Edge will move to M-Net 101. Also channel 901 will still be available to use as a backup for your recordings.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:25
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
By combining these channels and the other changes being made will this mean a saving in running costs for MC?
That must be part of the thinking. One hopes then passed on to us by stickiing to the lower annual increases.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:27
Still listens to the wireless

Will M-Net Family channel 162 be discontinued completely? As a Compact subscriber I really enjoy this channel as it contains new content not seen before on the lower packages.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:32
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2 View Post
Will M-Net Family channel 162 be discontinued completely? As a Compact subscriber I really enjoy this channel as it contains new content not seen before on the lower packages.
Hi there, yes M-Net Family channel will be discontinued.

Vuzu and M-Family had significant content sharing and similar viewer profiles. By dropping M-Net Family, we are now able to merge some of M-Family top shows into the already strong VUZU schedule.

As a treat to our Family customers, weíll make VUZU available to the DStv Family package from 1 April 2017. Our Premium and Compact audience will experience fewer repeats and our Family audience will now receive a stronger and more resonant channel.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:38
Changes remote batteries hourly

Something else the channel needs to keep in mind re the repeats please - our more than occasional "bad" weather...
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:39

I'm not convinced by this. 21:30 to midnight is only two and a half hours, while Edge had at least three hours of new content in the evening, and sometimes more with shows like Lucifer and American Horror Story that are shown later. So on the fact of it, it seems like we're losing content.

I'm also of the opinion that showing new content after 22:00 is too late. Admittedly, with Catch Up and PVRs this is less of a concern, but since DStv still offer single view decoders, I don't feel it's good practice to have so much late night viewing.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:43

The loss of M-Net Edge is is the worst news I have had in very long time! Probably 80% of all my viewing is on this channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Lindi View Post
Mad Cat - please note that you wont be losing any of the content. The series from M-Net Edge will move to M-Net 101. Also channel 901 will still be available to use as a backup for your recordings.
It MIGHT be true that we won't be losing any content but the fact of the matter is that is impossible to squeeze all the content into 1 channel. At the very least we will have to wait longer to get to see certain series while some series considered to be "borderline" will most likely not be purchased in future. There will most definitely also be fewer Express titles with 1 combined channel and there will be less repeat slots to cater for conflicts.

Will we still get the foreign language series and nouveau-type movies being shown on Edge over weekends??

My heart is broken - I will keep an close eye on the new schedules and decide my way forward from there...
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:58
MultiChoice

@Krugie - you are not losing out on anything.

We’re still offering our customers the same amount of shows and movies – there will just be fewer repeats. The focus is not take channels away but to add more fresh content more often on the channels, and to give our customers a better viewing experience.

We continually conduct research to see what our customers are watching and how they are finding shows to watch. We realised spreading shows across channels made it more difficult for our customers to find their favourite show and that the repeats were not working for our Premium customers.

You’ll still be able to enjoy more niche movies and series – keep an eye on our M-Net and M-Net Movie channels schedule. The foreign language movie will screen on a Sunday directly after the 8pm movie. And the foreign language series will find a slot in the M-Net 101 schedule.

Essentially from 9:30pm every night will be shows previously on M-Net Edge on M-Net 101. And as there is no omnibus on the weekend anymore, there is more space to show fresh content. There will be new shows on a Saturday night too.

All your favourite shows will still be available to you on Catch Up. And you will still have M-Net 901 to help with recording conflicts.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-03-01 at 12:02. .
Old 2017-03-01 , 12:02
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
We realised spreading shows across channels made it more difficult for our customers to find their favourite show and that the repeats were not working for our Premium customers.
Must admit, I never had a problem finding my shows. I had a problem finding sufficient repeats.