Forum > Content > General > DStvís M-Net channels get a refresh
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:08

Default DStvís M-Net channels get a refresh

DStv’s M-Net channels get a refresh

Our customers have spoken… and we’re listening. DStv Premium customers can soon look forward to more fresh series with fewer movies and series repeats from M-Net.

MultiChoice and M-Net will be making key changes to some of the M-Net channels to improve DStv customers’ viewing experience.

Supersized M-Net 101
The ever-popular M-Net Edge (channel 102) will be integrated into M-Net 101 from 1 April 2017. This will give customers a supersized channel with bumper-to-bumper entertainment ranging from the latest shows from M-Net 101 to the edgier entertainment previously on M-Net Edge. Customers can look forward to an extended prime time on M-Net 101 from 18:00 to midnight every day. This means fewer repeats on M-Net, which will now be the one destination for the best and newest shows from the US, alongside some great local shows.

Customers can tune in to sitcom fun at 18:00, followed by the latest blockbuster international reality shows at 18:30 and top-notch drama, crime, comedy or action series from 19:30 onwards. Once the kids are safely in bed – between 21:30 and midnight – customers can enjoy critically acclaimed edgier entertainment like Billions season 2, Magicians season 2; The Leftovers season 3, Bates Motel season 5, Broadchurch season 3, Mad Dogs season 1, Detour season 2 and more.

To top it off, M-Net will pull out all the stops to give our customers great entertainment on Saturdays. The reality show repeats will be dropped on Saturdays and Sundays, in favour of fresh sitcoms and dramas which will air on Saturdays from 18:00. Brand new series like cutting-edge medical drama Pure Genius(Augustus Prew, Dermot Mulroney, and Odette Annable), dark comedy Imposters (Inbar Lavi, Parker Young and Stephen Bishop) and the epic event limited series When We Rise (Guy Pearce, Mary-Louise Parker and Rachel Griffiths) can be seen during prime time on Saturdays.

“The entertainment landscape is changing faster than ever - we’ve made these changes based on what our customers have told us. We know they want to see the best new and returning series, and that is exactly what they will get,” says Group General Manager for M-Net SA, Nkateko Mabaso.

More fresh movies more often
M-Net want to show fewer older movies and repeats so DStv customers can enjoy more fresh and newer movies more often. This is why M-Net Movies Showcase (channel 107) will be dropped in favour of more themed movie pop-up channels and movie festivals on existing M-Net movie channels.

“Our pop-up channels are extremely popular,” says Mabaso. “Viewers love the fact that they can easily find a collection of their favourite movies packaged under a specific theme on one channel. They enjoyed the Star Wars and Harry Potter pop-up channels – and we’re planning several more throughout the year.”

The recently launched M-Net Movies Collection also adds to the breadth of M-Net’s movie offering. The M-Net Movies Collection comprise more than 1000 movies and is available on DStv Catch Up Plus, accessible to customers when they connect their DStv Explora to the internet. The collection is also accessible on the Catch Up section on DStv Now online and on the app. DStv Premium customers can choose what movie they would like to watch, when it suits them best.

DStv Family customers gets VUZU
There is also good news about fewer repeats for DStv Family customers. From April, VUZU (channel 116) will move into their family of channels. VUZU will replace M-Net Family (channel 162) which has not performed as well as expected. VUZU carries many of the popular family and celebrity reality shows that our DStv Family customers enjoy.

Reset your recordings
Leading up to the integration of M-Net Edge and M-Net 101, DStv Premium customers can enjoy two, three or four back-to-back episodes of their favourite shows in the next couple of weeks.

Customers with Exploras and PVRs are reminded to reset their recordings as their favourite shows find their new home on M-Net 101. These shows include Elementary, Major Crimes and Grimm, as well as Express from the US shows Crashing, Girls, Homeland, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and Lucifer. Remember to also keep an eye on the Catch Up calendar available on DStv.com.

For the latest information regarding these changes please consult your on-screen TV guide, find the online schedules at MNet.tv or DStv.com, or the TV Guide on the DStv Now app.
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:16
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Portia View Post
This means fewer repeats on M-Net, which will now be the one destination for the best and newest shows from the US, alongside some great local shows.
Noooooo!!!! This is no good at all
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:22
Changes remote batteries daily

MC Lindi can you hire me just for four months so I can help you out? You'll end up with one movie channel by March 2018. Your pop-up channels are not good for people who grew up in townships like us. They are too suburban
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Besides the lack of repeats (CU is not reliable enough, and not available to everyone), the idea to squash the already often overloaded two main series channels into just one now is...... *speechless*

However, perhaps the extending of prime time hours and days needs to be experienced first.
Can't help with the repeats problem though.
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:38
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggy View Post
MC Lindi can you hire me just for four months so I can help you out? You'll end up with one movie channel by March 2018. Your pop-up channels are not good for people who grew up in townships like us. They are too suburban
Hi Puggy

I grew up in a township and the Harry Potter movies, for example, are some of my favourite movies of all time. Perhaps tell me what kind of shows/movies would you like to see.
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:38

For years we begged for an extra channel, and were so happy to get it, now no more

Will Mnet+1 still be running?
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Will Mnet+1 still be running?
Looks like it, thank goodness.
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:50

Further thoughts - what we will now be rid of is the clashing between 101 and 102, and with 901 M-Net +1 able to now backup both lots of series... maybe this can work?

My best hope now is for the very early hours of the morning to be used exclusively for repeats (other than the Express broadcasts).
Old 2017-03-01 , 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Further thoughts - what we will now be rid of is the clashing between 101 and 102, and with 901 M-Net +1 able to now backup both lots of series... maybe this can work?

My best hope now is for the very early hours of the morning to be used exclusively for repeats (other than the Express broadcasts).
I'm to shocked to process this right now, but I'm very unhappy Space with 2 channels was a struggle for all the series, now we are being reduced to one channel
Old 2017-03-01 , 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
I'm to shocked to process this right now, but I'm very unhappy Space with 2 channels was a struggle for all the series, now we are being reduced to one channel
Agree it can't be better, though I'm hoping the extended prime time and default benefits to 901 will make it "as good as", depending on how repeats will work (the resulting better synchronisation will hopefully prevent the need for them as much).
But yes, I'm also too shocked to get a clear enough picture yet