Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Improving DSTV WiFi Connector etc. reception
Old 2017-02-20 , 10:10
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Yes I am happy that I achieved what I set out to do. Your Tutorial also served to dispel any doubts I had that the LTE setup would not be good enough to connect the Explora online. Thank you for your time and effort. The mods should make this a sticky post.
Old 2017-02-20 , 11:19
Technical Myriad

Thanks for the very informative posts. The issues for me has always been that it is always a better option to go "wired" for fixed devices. The Decoders are not mobile devices. Therefore 1st prize is a wired internet connection direct to a router. Then it frees up Wi-Fi for mobile applications and devices such as smart phones etc.

In most homes ADSL was the first connection we ever got. The ADSL termination point was mostly in a pretty wireless unfriendly spot (under a desk, close to the telephone socket which was/is mostly on a skirting board somewhere. Ironically, this situation is busy repeating itself with FTTH, BUT with a subtle difference. The FTTH ONT is a device that terminates the fibre and a second device is required to access the service provided over the ONT.

My own ADSL service has always been on a simple ADSL terminating Unit ( A simple 4 port router.) I never understood this business of combining the ADSL Modem function with a wireless router, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
I have retained that simple router and use it in a bridge mode. My own Wi-Fi setup makes use of the Telkom supplied ADSL Wi-Fi router used as an AP. ( What a waste of technology, but it works the best. I have a wired connection to that AP, now placed in the best possible place for Wi-Fi coverage of the home. I have a LTE Router placed at the best possible place for LTE reception.

I have set up the AP with 2 networks, one private for all the devices in the home using Wi-Fi and for family members, and a second network for visitors and guests. The Private network is secure and NOT ever used for visitors and guests. The other network is also secure and has a password etc. given to visitors when needed and changes very single week.

One area not covered in the post so far is how to go about choosing Wi-Fi channels for your networks, whether you should use fixed channels or allow the devices to search for a "free" channel". I have had to go "fixed" because of the Wi-Fi "pollution" in my area.

LTE works as well as the coverage in the area you are and the service provided by the LTE service provider, which is the same as the basic ADSL or FTTH service provided. No connection to an Explora (or any other device) can ever be better than the basic connection you have, hence why the set of base tests is always a requirement.

Somewhere in all of this is a "generic network diagram". This diagram should be a starting point before going into the detail of the setup in specific areas. Maybe we should consider coming up with such a diagram?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-20 at 11:35. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 11:39
4K, baby!

Default WiFi Tips and Tricks -- Second Tutorial

You are Welcome Jan; I hope that others will find it as useful as you have

OK, so assuming folks have followed the suggestions in post #3 the First Tutorial, here are some useful tips and tricks showing how you can further improve your domestic (or office) WiFi service.

Firstly you will need to download an exceptionally useful little Free Android App called WiFi Analyzer. (Apple users please advise if it's available on IOS)

This will let you see exactly how cluttered the WiFi spectrum is in your vicinity.

If, like me, you live in the City there it gets quite cluttered but there is something you can do to help.

All the older routers and devices used to work only on the "2.4GB" WiFi Spectrum. Take a look at the screen shot from WiFi analyzer. It's not as busy as I sometimes have seen it; but still quite cluttered.

Most routers are factory configured o automatically select a WiFi channel according to how busy the spectrum is; my experience is that this does not work well, particularly if the area has many networks operating within it. I have typically seen my network competing with several others for channel-6 bandwidth.

So, I've set my router to operate on channel 13 see the yellow arrow. This is at the very top of the 2.4GHz spectrum and I have never seen it cluttered. Attachment "Wireless Channels" shows where this is set on a Linksys Router. Other routers have a similar screen.

The DSTV WiFi extender only works on the 2.4 GHz band it will follow the channel you set on your router, if you change said channel.

Most newer routers also offer a second WiFi network running at 5GHz. Fewer people tend to use this option at this point in time.

You can see from the 5GHz Screenshot that only my network is operating on 5GHz and there is a decent signal throughout my apartment, despite all the concrete and steel !

So I have left that network on automatic, for now and I use the 5GHz network as my primary WiFi connection. My kids are long gone, so we are not competing internally for bandwidth but, this is a very good way to separate users in a busy household.

Notes
Some of the more budget smartphones and PCs don't support 5GHz so you won't be able to see that network form those devices.
I've also noted that my Kindle Voyager reader does not see channel 13 on the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Hope this helps further with getting a good WiFi connection; and as a result improving the performance of connected services on your Explorae
Cheers, K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_4GHz Spectrum.jpg (69.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Wireless Channels.jpg (164.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5GHz Spectrum.jpg (50.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-02-20 at 11:57. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 11:51
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
One area not covered in the post so far is how to go about choosing Wi-Fi channels for your networks, whether you should use fixed channels or allow the devices to search for a "free" channel". I have had to go "fixed" because of the Wi-Fi "pollution" in my area.
Hi Geoff I was constructing that post as you were posing ! See post #13 Tips and Tricks.

I also strongly agree that wired is best, where it's possible. Hence I personally use a mix of wired and Ethernet over Mains Power (effectively wired). I only use the DSTV WiFi connector for testing purposes. Hence I can clearly demonstrate the problems that folks will likely experience unless they go through the Tutorials on this thread.

I've been intending to create it for a while, but it takes a bit of time and energy, as you will appreciate.

I hope it gets traction and becomes a "WiFi resource" for setting up and maintaining WiFi networks. It's essential reading for those folks connecting their Explorae using any wireless device.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-02-20 at 12:12. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 12:09
Changes remote batteries daily

One thing not mentioned is the risk of wiring everything together....lightning and the surges that occur. If bandwidth is not an issue on an expensive item then wireless should be considered.
90cm dish; LMX501 ; Explora as Primary in lounge, HD-PVR2 in flat; XV heartbeat via RF outs; Samsung 60LED7000 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Flat has 32" Hi-Sense. Denon AVRX1100 configured for 5.1; Sony BluRay; All using HDMI/optical/coax.
Old 2017-02-20 , 12:12
Technical Myriad

The concrete and steel has an added advantage in your situation. It helps to keep out interfering Wi-Fi networks, and keeps in your network to some extent.

In normal residential areas, where all your neighbours are all using poorly (default) set up routers, smart phones and W-Fi extenders, the mess is getting completely out of hand.

My neighbour has 4 routers (he claims need to give him full coverage of his property), a family of 5, all with smart phones, many of them have their tethering hotspots permanently on so that they can "connect to other devices" (or so they say.

The mess at times has to be seen to be believed.
Old 2017-02-20 , 12:16
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvdh View Post
One thing not mentioned is the risk of wiring everything together....lightning and the surges that occur. If bandwidth is not an issue on an expensive item then wireless should be considered.
Yes that is a valid point, driven by the problems you have in your areas with lightning. BUT on the other hand, proper protection vastly reduces those problems. Having Lived in Meyerton I can sympathise.

EPL (Ethernet over Power Line) setups are particularly risky in areas where power surges are commonplace.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-20 at 12:46. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:01
Changes remote batteries hourly

He since edited the meaning in Keith :-)

Quote:
BUT on the other hand, proper protection vastly reduces those problems.
What do you consider proper protection Geoff?
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:27
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
He since edited the meaning in Keith :-)

What do you consider proper protection Geoff?
Would have to create a separate thread for protection.
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:35
4K, baby!

Quote:
Would have to create a separate thread for protection.
Good idea; go for it Geoff.
Cheers, K.
Tags
connect problem, connectivity