Forum > Content > General > Pensioner discounts
Old 2015-12-26 , 11:49
Still gets up to change channels

It should be a question of trust and not about collecting money
I think that the persons that pay for the package and proof that he or her is a pensioner should get some discount. Some like activation with proof of ID every 12 months or like Telkom over 70 scheme
I have been with MNET sins 1983
Old 2015-12-26 , 15:45
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd1 View Post
It should be a question of trust and not about collecting money
I think that the persons that pay for the package and proof that he or her is a pensioner should get some discount. Some like activation with proof of ID every 12 months or like Telkom over 70 scheme
I have been with MNET sins 1983
The problem people broke the trust. Nothing is stopping me from getting DStv in a pensioners name and using their ID. Parents/GrandParents/Family is very simple to do for non pensioner to use a pensioners ID/name.
Old 2015-12-26 , 17:23
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
The problem people broke the trust. Nothing is stopping me from getting DStv in a pensioners name and using their ID. Parents/GrandParents/Family is very simple to do for non pensioner to use a pensioners ID/name.
So do you think it is right that TRUE Pensioners should not be able to get a rightful discount just because there are dishonest people out there.
It should be up to MC to make sure that people are not able to use other peoples ID's. After all that would be classed as theft.
And as far as I believe Theft is illegal.
I am sure that MC could do something if they had the viewer interest at heart.
Old 2015-12-27 , 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
So do you think it is right that TRUE Pensioners should not be able to get a rightful discount just because there are dishonest people out there.
It should be up to MC to make sure that people are not able to use other peoples ID's. After all that would be classed as theft.
And as far as I believe Theft is illegal.
I am sure that MC could do something if they had the viewer interest at heart.
Well it would be fraud not theft.
The question is how to police this.
Everyone must go with ID and proof of address to an MC office like FICA and RICA?
I can still my mom and put in her name and get the discount?
There DStv is in my Dad's name (ID)
DStv have no means to determine a location of the decoder.
The solution is to provide discount to retirement villages via a central distribution system via commercial wing.
Old 2015-12-27 , 17:14
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Well it would be fraud not theft.
The question is how to police this.
Everyone must go with ID and proof of address to an MC office like FICA and RICA?
I can still my mom and put in her name and get the discount?
There DStv is in my Dad's name (ID)
DStv have no means to determine a location of the decoder.
The solution is to provide discount to retirement villages via a central distribution system via commercial wing.
Quote:
All these are just excuses for NOT wanting to find a way ...... MC could, just like other companies find a way to make sure that system abuse is limited.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-12-27 , 18:11
4K, baby!

Don't MC already have the date of birth of all their subscribers already captured on their data base? ID Number is, or was, required on the form I had to complete when obtaining DStv. Think this was also required when I applied all those years ago for MNET.

Should be relatively easy for them to run a programme to identify all on their data base who are over a certain age and perhaps, if really necessary, make it a requirement that any pensioner must have had DStv for "x" number of years?

Any new application would then not automatically receive this discount but they would have to wait for this "x" number of years to pass?
Old 2015-12-27 , 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Don't MC already have the date of birth of all their subscribers already captured on their data base? ID Number is, or was, required on the form I had to complete when obtaining DStv. Think this was also required when I applied all those years ago for MNET.

Should be relatively easy for them to run a programme to identify all on their data base who are over a certain age and perhaps, if really necessary, make it a requirement that any pensioner must have had DStv for "x" number of years?

Any new application would then not automatically receive this discount but they would have to wait for this "x" number of years to pass?
Yes but I could signup with my mother's ID number, and get the discount. But if all you need is someone in the house to qualify as a pensioner, the rest of the household gets discounted DStv.
X number of years could work but with exclude others.
MC have made a concession with retirement villages.
Old 2015-12-27 , 19:51
4K, baby!

Quote:
Yes but I could signup with my mother's ID number, and get the discount. But if all you need is someone in the house to qualify as a pensioner, the rest of the household gets discounted DStv.
X number of years could work but with exclude others.
MC have made a concession with retirement villages.
Why I'm saying only existing subscribers over a certain age, with the qualifying years of having been subscribers, be given this 'discount'.

Let's for example say you now want to take your mother's ID and sign up for the discount. This won't be available to you for a number of years as you'd have to earn some sort of "loyalty points" first. I think there are very few pensioners currently paying the subscriptions for the DStv service who are not in fact using it. In other words very few doing as you suggest. Children having their parents sign up for the package while they have exclusive use of it.

Certainly, there will no doubt be some who will unduly benefit from this but I think they will very much be in the minority.

If MC cannot identify the eligible pensioners from their database, ie they don't have the programme to run to identify these pensioners, then perhaps they can publicize the requirements needed for this discount and ask those affected to call in at their nearest MC office or Agency to have the details approved and then doing whatever needs to be done on the system.

I also realise that this will have some sort of repurcussions for MC as those pensioners who won't be eligible at the time may be a bit upset. But I'm certain that MC's publicity department/Customer Care can explain that this is being done to assist pensioners who have been loyal to MC for those "x" number of years and that once those complaining reach that number of years they too will be eligible. So, although they may not receive anything immediately they will have something to look forward to in the future. At the moment NOBODY wins. Pensioners that is.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2015-12-27 at 19:56. .
Old 2015-12-28 , 09:51
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

How about checking the pensioner's application for discount against the approved installers records or a statement from the approved installer?

I've been a pensioner for several years, live alone and have no problem signing an affidavit or getting an approved installer to check my situation. If MC want to do an onsite check, they are welcome to.
Old 2015-12-29 , 16:54
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Dread View Post
How about checking the pensioner's application for discount against the approved installers records or a statement from the approved installer?

I've been a pensioner for several years, live alone and have no problem signing an affidavit or getting an approved installer to check my situation. If MC want to do an onsite check, they are welcome to.
It is so easy to move an installation to another house. You can even just unscrew the decoder and plug it in else where.

Though we would like to get pensioner discounts, let us be serious and admit there is not concrete way to prove that the pensioner is watching short of installing a camera over the television watching them watch television.
You cannot expect Multichoice to cover the costs of all this proposed extra administration to put a system in place that can still be abused.