Forum > Content > General > Itís here! The DStv Explora now connects to the internet
Closed Thread  
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:14
Changes remote batteries daily

I hope the next step is content sharing between two decoders connected to the same network.
Look what they made, they made it for me, happy technology.
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:20
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
From my understanding this being able to link to the internet, in it's present form, is decidedly underwhelming. Sorry to be a wet blanket but how is this really different to my downloading content to my computer? Something I haven't done but which I believe was already available to Premium subscribers?

To download to the Explora is going to take just as much data as would be used to download programmes to the computer. If there was some way of calling up these 300 plus extra programmes on the computer and then have them sent to the Explora as a normal Catch Up type download late at night, or early morning, using the same system as for the present Catch Up then yes, this would be a wonderful addition. Having to use my own data and taking earlier comments of mine into account this is not such a wonderful addition in my opinion.

However I'm certain that many others, perhaps those with uncapped data, will find this a wonderful addition. Not me.

Perhaps being able to access the Explora via a cellphone for recording of programmes may be of some value.

Maybe one of those with knowledge of these things would be able to advise how much data it would take to download an hour or half hour programme of High Definition quality?

BB and Simon it is about the average Joe having extended content in the comfort of their lounge and TV / home entertainment system.

Content from Catch Up Plus is in SD to lower bandwidth usage. Every program in the catalogue gives the size of the content on MB's. So you know what you in for.

We told that HD content and download manager along with adaptive buffering and streaming will be available next year.

DStv Now coming next week will be adaptive steaming up to HD quality and can vary in quality during a stream. So if you're doing HD and someone else in the home uses bandwidth the quality will decrease to available bandwidth available and then upscale when it becomes available again. As requested by Simon.

G
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Agreed. Remember also that all the downloaded stuff is in SD from what I understand.

As pointed out elsewhere, there is no ability to schedule downloads to uncapped evening periods. Quite important in our broadband environment.

There is nothing here that our six year old Pace four tuner device wasn't capable of and brought to users years ago in the rest of the world.

To put the timeline into perspective, it's like being sold an iPhone 3 (2008) while the rest of the world gets the iPhone 6 (2014).

See my response to BB

Download manager like scheduling coming in the next release we were told tonight.

What the 6 year old hardware could do is immaterial. It also has to do with software on both the decoder and backend. Each provider self develop and they don't share for competitive reasons. So one provider can out do another. Especially since the first generation HD PVR was based on third party middleware.

G
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
What the 6 year old hardware could do is immaterial. It also has to do with software on both the decoder and backend. Each provider self develop and they don't share for competitive reasons. So one provider can out do another. Especially since the first generation HD PVR was based on third party middleware.
Yes. More than one provider could do it six year ago. Got it. Thanks.
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:58

Quote:
BB and Simon it is about the average Joe having extended content in the comfort of their lounge and TV / home entertainment system.
Of course, average Joe had it six years ago elsewhere. Average Joe has Whole Home DVR today. South African Jaco has ...
Old 2014-11-12 , 22:59

Quote:
So if you're doing HD and someone else in the home uses bandwidth the quality will decrease to available bandwidth available and then upscale when it becomes available again.
Looking forward to that.
Old 2014-11-12 , 23:13
Changes remote batteries hourly

Congrats MC, this is a big step from where you've been, and good to hear about some of the further plans.

* Some confusion re Catch Up Plus - it's stated it's for all on Premium, presumably then also available online for those without the Explora and its internet connection. But what then of ordinary CU, is that just expanded on online for all Premium now so there's still really only one classification re CU in real usage, or is it to be otherwise structured re availability?

* DStv NOW - Can we know which 12 channels will be accessible?

Last edited by Optimist; 2014-11-13 at 00:11. . Reason: Tidying up
Old 2014-11-13 , 01:28
AKA Gadgenator (Changes remote batteries daily)

Thanks Multichoice for this three new services. I'm so excited, even more ways to watch and record TV series. Now I only need my Dad to get uncapped WiFi again

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
Old 2014-11-13 , 01:47
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Thanks Multichoice for this three new services. I'm so excited, even more ways to watch and record TV series. Now I only need my Dad to get uncapped WiFi again

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
WIFI is always uncapped.
Old 2014-11-13 , 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorx View Post
WIFI is always uncapped.
Sorry Raptorx, WiFi is wireless technology connecting to a network, you can have 3G behind it, a coffee shop with 30 mins or 50mb.
So your statement is false and really unhelpful