Forum > Content > General > Itís here! The DStv Explora now connects to the internet
Closed Thread  
Old 2014-11-12 , 18:33
MultiChoice

Default Itís here! The DStv Explora now connects to the internet

Press Release
Get your DStv Explora Connected

What do you do when youíve already got the most exciting and capable PVR decoder on the market? Today, MultiChoice unveiled a suite of connected services that will unlock a whole new world of entertainment Ė Catch Up delivered via the internet, Remote Recordings and its new DStv Now App.

Catch Up

DStv Premium customers currently get instant access to 300 titles on DStv Catch Up, which are automatically delivered via satellite. When the Explora is connected to the internet from this weekend, customers get an additional 300 titles of the latest and greatest series, movies and other exclusive content on DStv Catch Up Plus. This means customers will now have more than double the number of great entertainment titles to watch on DStv Catch Up.

Customers can choose up to 25 titles from the DStv Catch Up Plus library to download to their Explora, to watch when it suits them. Customers need to plan their viewing a little bit ahead of time as broadband speeds are not yet fast enough for instant downloads or streaming.

In the first half of 2015, MultiChoice will make progressive downloads available on DStv Catch Up Plus Ė then customers can watch what they want, when they want without having to plan ahead.

The 300 titles on DStv Catch Up Plus will more than double over the next few months. There is something for every member of the family and every viewing taste Ė from entire series of Sopranos, The Walking Dead and Rookie Blue to Dog with a Blog, Ultimate Spiderman, Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion 2014 and a range of shows for sports lovers.

Remote recording

How many times have you been stuck in traffic or a meeting only to realise you forgot to set a recording for your favourite show? Remote Recording lets you set recordings from DStv.com via your laptop, smartphone or tablet when you're away from home.

DStv NOW

In December, MultiChoice will launch the DStv NOW app, which will give DStv Premium customers with PVRs the ability to take some of that functionality with them on the go, so they can experience great content wherever, whenever they want. This app will let them set remote recordings from any iOS or Android mobile device, access 12 channels and DStv Catch Up content.

ĎMultiChoice is focused on innovation. Today we unveiled more content, more convenience, more customer choice and more control. We unveiled a suite of Connected services that are a big step forward in the evolution of our innovation roadmap Ė DStv Catch Up content delivered over the internet, Remote Recordings and our DStv Now App. This is the beginning of a new television experience Ė giving our customers a choice of content to watch when and where they want. Next week, weíll take another step to making these services more accessible to our customers,í commented Imtiaz Patel, Group CEO of MultiChoice South Africa.

To enjoy these connected services, customers will need to link their DStv Explora to their existing internet router, either by Ethernet cable or using the DStv WiFi Connector. The Connector will be available in retail stores for R399 including VAT.

Access to these connected services is included in your monthly DStv Premium subscription and Access Fee. Any DStv Explora customer can use Remote Recording, however DStv Catch Up Plus is exclusively available to DStv Premium customers. The data charges for these downloads will be as per the customerís data plan with their Internet Service Provider.

For more information, visit dstv.com/GetConnected

Connected services will be available from 14 November 2014 and the DStv WiFi Connector will be in retail stores from 18 November.
Old 2014-11-12 , 19:18
Has to hide the DStv remote from the little one.

Default Itís here! The DStv Explora now connects to the internet

Deleted my message

Last edited by ivanj; 2014-11-12 at 19:21. .
Old 2014-11-12 , 19:28
Changes remote batteries daily

No indication of how many users can live stream sport at the same time using one "Connect ID".
Old 2014-11-12 , 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Brenda View Post
In December, MultiChoice will launch the DStv NOW app, which will give DStv Premium customers with PVRs the ability to take some of that functionality with them on the go, so they can experience great content wherever, whenever they want. This app will let them set remote recordings from any iOS or Android mobile device, access 12 channels and DStv Catch Up content.
If this truly means "wherever, whenever" and not "only in South Africa", I'll be a truly happy little camper.
Old 2014-11-12 , 19:47
MultiChoice

Hi Simon, thanks - we'll feedback that back to the team. As for the where ever part, you know that it's based on licencing - nothing has changed.
Old 2014-11-12 , 19:51
4K, baby!

From my understanding this being able to link to the internet, in it's present form, is decidedly underwhelming. Sorry to be a wet blanket but how is this really different to my downloading content to my computer? Something I haven't done but which I believe was already available to Premium subscribers?

To download to the Explora is going to take just as much data as would be used to download programmes to the computer. If there was some way of calling up these 300 plus extra programmes on the computer and then have them sent to the Explora as a normal Catch Up type download late at night, or early morning, using the same system as for the present Catch Up then yes, this would be a wonderful addition. Having to use my own data and taking earlier comments of mine into account this is not such a wonderful addition in my opinion.

However I'm certain that many others, perhaps those with uncapped data, will find this a wonderful addition. Not me.

Perhaps being able to access the Explora via a cellphone for recording of programmes may be of some value.

Maybe one of those with knowledge of these things would be able to advise how much data it would take to download an hour or half hour programme of High Definition quality?

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2014-11-12 at 19:57. .
Old 2014-11-12 , 20:02

Quote:
Hi Simon, thanks - we'll feedback that back to the team. As for the where ever part, you know that it's based on licencing - nothing has changed.
Thanks, but this is a press statement and the people that you employ should be professional about this and their obligations under the ASA and the CPA.

Please ask them to change the wording to "anywhere in South Africa".
Old 2014-11-12 , 20:03
MultiChoice

Hi Simon, you can also do this when in Africa, in DStv territories.
Old 2014-11-12 , 20:22

Quote:
Hi Simon, you can also do this when in Africa, in DStv territories.
That's still not "everywhere".
Old 2014-11-12 , 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
From my understanding this being able to link to the internet, in it's present form, is decidedly underwhelming. Sorry to be a wet blanket but how is this really different to my downloading content to my computer? Something I haven't done but which I believe was already available to Premium subscribers?
Agreed. Remember also that all the downloaded stuff is in SD from what I understand.

Quote:
However I'm certain that many others, perhaps those with uncapped data, will find this a wonderful addition. Not me.
As pointed out elsewhere, there is no ability to schedule downloads to uncapped evening periods. Quite important in our broadband environment.

Quote:
Perhaps being able to access the Explora via a cellphone for recording of programmes may be of some value.
There is nothing here that our six year old Pace four tuner device wasn't capable of and brought to users years ago in the rest of the world.

To put the timeline into perspective, it's like being sold an iPhone 3 (2008) while the rest of the world gets the iPhone 6 (2014).
Closed Thread