Forum > Decoders > Remotes > Factory reset a A4 remote
Old 2017-02-08 , 17:33
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Factory reset a A4 remote

I have as far as I can determine a 2011MNEC (A4) remote that came with my Pace HD 2P PVR. It is the one with the orange shift button and fixed ring, it can be sett to operate with TV1 TV2 and RC by using the shift and info buttons. It is set for TV1 but now developed a dirty habit. I think I accidently sett it to be compatible with some older decoder. It is not set to RC. The power on button function perfectly most and so does of the buttons but when you press exit it powers the decoder off. How do I do a factory reset.
Old 2017-02-08 , 17:39
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi there Jan,

None of the A4's are programmable so there's no way it could have been changed to work with another decoder other than by changing the mode if that was enough to achieve it, and as such there's no need for a factory reset which I would think doesn't exist.

I can only imagine that it must have developed a fault, or maybe it's a further fault with your 2P beyond the BO populating one that you have.
If you can test it on your daughter's 2P, and her A4 (if she has one) on yours.
Old 2017-02-08 , 17:57

Note that some of the A4 documentation refers to the changing of modes as "programming" them - just a choice of words at the time, it's not the true programming one can do on some remotes for using them on other decoders / devices.
Old 2017-02-08 , 18:50

It is my spare remote. The decoder is fine. The batteries of the other remote needed recharging. They came with rechargeable batteries. I swapped batteries and the first remote is working perfectly. After recharging the flat batteries the spare is still misbehaving. When setting it to RC I believe it will work with the 990 and the likes according to some info compiled by MC Fathima at the time. Thanks Optimist I was on the point to bin it but thought I will first see if someone can't help. Well it served me well for 3 years.
Old 2017-02-08 , 18:57

Sure Jan, sorry it's not good news.

One thing though - it's very unusual for any remote to come with or allow for the use of rechargeable batteries in my experience, certainly not with any original MC remote I know of. (So I presume the other remote is either a clone or a universal model made by an unofficial other manufacturer.)
Some remotes actually warn not to make use of rechargeable batteries, so I suggest giving it a couple of hours "rest" without power and then trying ordinary ones in it.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-11 at 12:47. . Reason: Other question no longer needed
Old 2017-02-08 , 20:17

Both remotes came as original remotes with a Pace HD 2P decoder. The boxes were sealed I opened them myself. Both are Beyond Platinum A4 remotes with the DSTV logo. Both came With Pure Energy Alkaline 2000mAh 1.5v AA batteries. Which is still in use. A single charge last about a year. See my screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A4 Remote.jpg (698.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Pure Batteries.jpg (535.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 2017-02-08 , 20:32

Thanks for these details, quite a surprise. My A4 for the 2U we had a couple of years ago came with non-rechargeable batteries.
Old 2017-02-08 , 20:58

I searched around a bit and found this in the Archives. http://forum.dstv.com/archive/index.php/t-18218.html

Quite some interesting reading. I do have an energizer charger as described in post 1 but because it not designed to charge alkaline batteries, in fact there is a warning on the back that charging non compatible batteries in that charger may cause them to explode, I use a Panasonic charger to recharge mine. One of the original batteries started leaking and I replaced them.
Old 2017-02-08 , 22:05

Thanks Jan.
I think the difference with ours may be due to my A4 being an older version than yours, even though the 2U came after the 2P maybe yours was younger stock.

Also interesting that this recycling idea of MC's didn't seem to last, haven't seen any A6's with rechargeables. Perhaps due to the charging mistake and resulting disaster in that thread despite the clear warnings.