Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Why DSTV why..
Old 2016-12-31 , 20:10
Still listens to the wireless

Default Why DSTV why..

Of late I noticed that DSTV is drowning us the viewers with DSTV related ads, which is getting redicously annoying.

Last night whilst watching the voice at every ad break you had one or two ads about how DSTV. Wondered if DSTV has lost advertisers..

1. Ads to sell us 2 year contracts
2. Ads that tell us to buy Showmax.

And so forth.. Come on guys Im already paying a **** load of money per month and I know what I bought, so please do your marketing somewhere else.

Rant over.. Please stop.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old 2017-01-01 , 15:34
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gejag View Post
Of late I noticed that DSTV is drowning us the viewers with DSTV related ads, which is getting redicously annoying.

Last night whilst watching the voice at every ad break you had one or two ads about how DSTV. Wondered if DSTV has lost advertisers..

1. Ads to sell us 2 year contracts
2. Ads that tell us to buy Showmax.

And so forth.. Come on guys Im already paying a **** load of money per month and I know what I bought, so please do your marketing somewhere else.

Rant over.. Please stop.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Guess they working on the assumption that visitors who don't have DStv may see the add and then look at obtaining DStv. However, this marketing ploy is doomed to failure if they don't fix up their black screen, insert smartcard etc type of errors.

But yes, I agree, I too am tired of seeing MC and Supersport advertising their own products when we are already watching them.
Old 2017-01-05 , 08:21
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

You remember that Explora guy who was teary eyed, never convinced me to upgrade. Only bought an Explora after those ads stopped airing, persistence marketing puts me off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2017-01-05 , 08:28
Still listens to the wireless

I agree 100% with you. The same for me.

Still wonder why advertisers pulled their ads from channel 101, cause one see more ads about Mnet/DSTV/Price Locking, where they take so called families and make statements it saved my marriage and blah blah blah... than retailers..

Maybe the online thread is more real than we know or they are to $ for ad space this time of year or maybe because too many people are on leave and don't want TV...

Whatever it is, its so annoying that I change channels just to avoid the stupid ads.

/rant no 2 over ... hehehe
Old 2017-01-05 , 08:41

I almost always never watch live TV because of ads. Even with Idols I'd go to channel 161, buffer it for 30 minutes whilst watching Blacklist on Catch Up, go back to the programme jump back to the start and fast forward thru ads.

The only live TV I watch is sport and maybe Home Channel, everything else I record temporarily and delete afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2017-01-09 , 11:27

I think retailers may have worked out that with the advent of pvr's a large number of people no longer watch live tv and simply fast forward through ad breaks, and therefore the number of views per ad has declined significantly. This inevitably will lead to many putting their investment elsewhere, where they will get more hits.

If anything, Dstv may well be the architect of their own demise, since without advertising revenue (which must be lower) they will need to increase their subscription fees, which will lead to more people examining other options and leaving the platform. And it all started with the introduction of basically ad-free viewing via pvr...