Originally Posted by MoePa
Hello everyone, Ive created this thread for tech enthusiasts for things I would like added to the explora, but feel free to add your ideas,
Things they improved on
Amount of stuff available & Hdd space
1) For Internet to be enabled and ability to download tv series & movies that are available in HD on the dstv catchup on the net to decoder
2) tv guide to cover the whole month not just 8 days
2) to be able to choose genre's that you want avaiable on catchup for instance id rather have more tv series episodes stacked & skip kiddies & sport.
4) similar to psn.... You can select what to record online, allow us to set what to record on dstv tv guide on a pc or tablet... Guess (1) would need to be enabled 1st & you decoder would login using your username... Like on ps3/4
5) ability to watch youtube on the decoder
6) Create an android & ios app that would allow one to select tv series or movies and to act as a remote that is linked to the decoder via your home network. Ie, you can "browse" via a tablet whats on your decoder , read movie /series info & play a show by selecting it on your ipad & viewing such info on the ipad through your wifi or networked cable,
Popcornhour has a similar app called nmj navigator/ ps vita allows streaming/ airmirroring on apple devices
7) change explora os to android & allow limited apps
8) allow for inserting your own hdd for own upgrading, again ps4/ps3 does this & is able to encrypt the hdd & only works on activated devices
9 slightly off topic .... Allow streaming of catchup through ps3/ps4
10) allow airmirroring of your ipad
Hi, Just some points
DStv Decoder is a provider device not a general multimedia device so having thins like You Tube on it won't happen. Changing the OS to Android will be a very unlikely. Remember Google charge patients for Android. Also MC to have the expense to support apps is not worth it, then you going to get app x not supported/working blah. Let them stick to their software.
Catchup content is downloaded onto the decoder as decided by DStv. Catchup content online is available now. An interface on the decoder may be on the cards, but I don't think it would be a high priority. Ipad access to that exists now.
As for the content sharing to devices and apps to remote manage we know was on the plans in the medium to long future.