Old 2013-08-19 , 10:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default Best current recording options

Let me start by saying this is not a thread to have a go at MC, whatever the complexities that are currently making recordings at times unreliable I am sure MC are hard at work attending to this, and we do know that the normal levels of stability with all recording options have been fairly reasonable until recently.

Series Based Recordings (SBRs) - Not being a fan of this option I hardly use it anymore. Sure, the theory is great, but its too reliant on the EPG which is too far from reliable IMHO especially with SBR tagging, and there's little or no control or ability to monitor.
With the recent need to redo these at times it's not exactly an effort-saver either.
Hoping that the new event tracking on the Explora is quickly made effective enough and trickles down to the older HD PVRs.

EPG (Electronic Program Guide) Based Recordings (EBRs) - Again due to the EPG problems, on the whole no thanks.
What will help though is if reasonable buffer lengths can later be set, then I might forgo the far more labour intensive once-off TBRs.

Time Based Recordings (TBRs) - Most don't want the hassle of making this effort, but as said before I almost never have recording issues since switching to this option. It's well worth it, at least at this stage!
One of the main advantages proven this last week is that I haven't had to redo any of these settings, just edit, check the channel number is correct, and then always re-save - no failures to date since the initial discovery of current problems, or for any other past issues. And that goes for my SD PVR as well.
Plus you can set recordings way into the future based on other info elsewhere, and then forget about them.
TBRs are . When at times it's up to us to keep control of what's going on, nothing beats them.

Automation is only helpful when it's working right, else it's worse.

Last edited by Optimist; 2013-08-19 at 10:51. . Reason: Basic info added
Old 2013-08-19 , 19:21
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Time Based Recordings (TBRs) - Most don't want the hassle of making this effort, but as said before I almost never have recording issues since switching to this option. It's well worth it, at least at this stage!
One of the main advantages proven this last week is that I haven't had to redo any of these settings, just edit, check the channel number is correct, and then always re-save - no failures to date since the initial discovery of current problems, or for any other past issues. And that goes for my SD PVR as well.
An Explora feature you might enjoy: When you see 'n program on the EPG and you press OK you have to option to set a manual recording for it. It bring up all the relevant info already filled in and you can amend times etc.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2013-08-20 , 09:21
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
An Explora feature you might enjoy: When you see 'n program on the EPG and you press OK you have to option to set a manual recording for it. It bring up all the relevant info already filled in and you can amend times etc.

that is before you save it I presume? yes that would be useful, because in the past one would have to go and access it afterwards then decide if you like it or not What I do is set a EBR, just to capture the detail, then create a TBR, and cancel the EBR afterwards.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2013-08-20 , 09:37
MultiChoice

I mostly use series recordings on my HD PVR 2P and my recordings all work like clockwork. I use them on a number of channels (101, 113, 114, 120, 117, 125, 127, 176 + others)
The only time I use TBRs, is when I hit my 20 series limit. And I then only use TBRs for programmes that are on the same time each week (so they're weekly recurring).
Old 2013-08-20 , 09:55

Thanks Krugie. Impressive MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Brenda View Post
I mostly use series recordings on my HD PVR 2P and my recordings all work like clockwork. I use them on a number of channels (101, 113, 114, 120, 117, 125, 127, 176 + others)
The only time I use TBRs, is when I hit my 20 series limit. And I then only use TBRs for programmes that are on the same time each week (so they're weekly recurring).
I suppose different things will work for different people.
A major influence in being regular Forumites here is that we get to see all of the errors in a focused space, makes it harder to trust some processes.
For me I rather look for ways to safeguard against failures from the start, even if it means extra effort.
Old 2013-08-20 , 10:36
Forum Queen (gets her subjects to change her remote batteries daily.)
[Dear Twitter: Forum Queen is not a MultiChoice employee.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Brenda View Post
I do the same. Once off recordings sometimes bring up conflicts but when it is with a series recording it is not an issue. When it is with a TBR things are a bit more tricky.
Old 2013-08-20 , 11:27
Technical Myriad

(1) The SD PVR does not have series recordng === the next best is then recurring TBRs, the EPG is just too erratic and unpredictable for anything else. Also TBRs give one control over the start and end buffers which cannot be modified on the SD PVR.
(2) The 4 T is reliable for series and allows one to specify up to 10 minute buffers, hence it is very easy to use "series",
BUT
Series recording is not activated on all channels and on channels available on non-premium packages, the selection is limited. ==== Again, the only reliable way to is then to set recurring recordings using TBRs.
and what's more, event tracking is not to my knowledge available = even less reason to use anything EPG based.

Hence why we use TBRs by default --- Simple really.

Means there is no standard, works for everyone, recipe.

(3) 2T ? no idea what would work best for us.

(4) Now with the Explora -----

Who knows yet what will work for everyone, early days.

(5) As to EPG stability --- the lack of stability of the EPG, the continual changing of pointers, channel IDs etc, is threatening the complete concept of anything related to an Electronic Program Guide. Hence why some of us are just not interested in relying on the EPG anymore. Hence EBRs ( spur of the moment settings for future events recording in our absence) are just not contemplated at all.

It is either a once-off TBR with very large buffers or nothing.

A quick look at the EPG forum, and in particular, the post by @ Elizabeth dealing with the "Middle" is a typical example of what the EPG means to many. I have long ago abandoned raising EPG issues, the EPG does not get any better, if anything it is getting worse and by the time anyone reacts it is normally too late anyway. The standard " apologies for any convenience" story just does not cut it anymore.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-08-20 at 11:49. .
Old 2013-08-20 , 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
that is before you save it I presume?
That is correct yes. It basically starts as an EBR but you can modify buffer times, name etc and then save it - I presume it then becomes a TBR.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2013-08-20 , 12:29

Has anyone seen yet how long you can make the buffers on the Explora?
Old 2013-08-20 , 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Has anyone seen yet how long you can make the buffers on the Explora?
about 10 minutes I think