Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Service Queries > Service Queries > DSTV Africa... Fail, again and again and again...
Old 2010-08-02 , 19:12
Still listens to the wireless

Angry DSTV Africa... Fail, again and again and again...

Good day, I have a DSD1131 which was forced on me as part of the DSTV Africa switch over from C-Band to Ku-Band and after only 2 months of use it has already broken...

Now it is bad enough you (DSTV) force subscribers to buy these Altech-UEC pieces of rubbish but when they break-down your call center staff have the temerity to say the dish is not installed correctly and it's my fault... not the machine... rubbish...

The satellite Eutelsat W4/W7 at 63deg East is fixed, so if I can find it with a Satcatcher Exel-TV and get 100/100 for both strength and quality then I think it is found, full stop... This is not brain surgery and to say that because the installation was not done by an accredited installer it must be wrong is just plain stupid. The original install was done by a Comms Officer from the German Army working with us here in the UN in Darfur so he knows more about satellites then your call centre I am sure, it was also done on a very accurate 2m dish.

The problem arose when I was watching a DSTV channel and received a message on the screen to rescan my decoder "please press Menu13" to update it. As soon as I did this I stopped getting any signal (as per your rubbish decoder), on my HUMAX and Dreambox systems I get full bars of both Power and Quality but these I cannot use. For a week now I have sent e-mails, made phone calls and tried to get this fixed but the deal breaker was spending 45 minutes in a call from Sudan to your help centre basically getting told I am an idiot and they know better and that they will not help me or push my issue further when I asked for assistance.

I want to be able to connect my Humax decoder which is an DVB-2 and Irdeto system and certainly meets the technical requirements to run DSTV and I get told no, only your own decoders are allowed to connect. This is rubbish... I have purchased your rubbish decoder already so you have already made your pound of flesh from me so I see no issue.... what you want is for me to buy another one and this is not acceptable. You guys are turning into a bunch of highway robbers and I am now tired of it. You forced me to buy a decoder that doesn't work after 2 months and then won't let me connect with one that I know will because you want to make more money from me @ $250 for the DSD1131 and $1000 for the Pace HD PVR...

DSTV have gone from one of the best companies in South Africa to a group rapidly losing it's market shares to OSN and Top TV all over South and North Africa and yet you continue to push your existing customers away in your ridiculous treatment of your customers. I hope you start to realise that you are losing your customers quicker then you are getting new ones in Africa and unless you change your treatment of your customers you will eventually lose all of us.

Now I am stuck with a decoder I can't use in a place where it is impossible to pop down to DSTV Africa in Khartoum to get the piece of rubbish replaced and use a different decoder because of your crazy policies of forced hardware exclusivity

Not happy, again...
Old 2010-08-04 , 11:32
Knows how to use a remote

AMEN for that!!
Old 2010-08-04 , 12:28
Technical Myriad

I sympathise (as a fellow subscriber) with your frustrations, knowing that the install is ok and other decoders are able to detect signals adequately. Unfortunately the average call centre operator is unaware of the circumstances in Africa, and thinks that "accreditted installers" are around every corner, everywhere.

At the same time, this drive to lower the cost of decoders is now starting to bite MC badly - and even the manufacturers are likely to be the first to agree with us users. You get to the point where the low cost decoder is just no longer justified especially when taking into account WHERE some of MC customers are located.

There should be a way in which MC will allow the use of professional high quality decoders to be used with their Smart Cards - and it is possible to "pair/marry" any SC with any decoder or even under special conditions allow the service still to work without pairing implemented.

(1) There may actually be nothing wrong with the 1131 decoder.
(2) Are you able to get to the advanced options to check if the "home network" settings are correct for W7? It is just possible that a s/w upgrade has set the decoder on the incorrect home network settings = no service.
(3) Are you able to see what s/w level the decoder is on?

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-08-04 at 12:30. .
Old 2010-08-04 , 17:51

@ Geoff D.
The card and decoder can easily be married as DSTV did this on the C-Band Africa network, the very same decoder I want to use oddly enough (Humax). Not every one is using Secure Silicon fitted decoders in SA and they are not a forced requirement (yet) so it is nonsensical argument.

Installer accreditation itself is a joke, a number of succesful installs, a bakkie and your own signal meter is the basic requirement, no formal sattelite training mentioned at all in their own accreditation requirements on this forum.

The home network setting are all correct, and I have checked all of the other available settings to no avail. Both W4 and W7...

My main issue is the forced hardware that is low quality... no offense but the PACE and Altech/UEC systems are not great when compared to Humax, Dreambox and some of the other new Linux based systems which are faster, work better and don't need constant fixes from DSTV. Then they have their intrusive software which allows them disable the actual working of your decoder, for example, if they turn off the PVR service, you cannot even watch your previous recordings (which you have already paid for). You cannot expand the hard-drive due to internal encryption, even though the hardware is bought and paid and is fully your property.

At this point in time I am just waiting for OSN to expand their service, and they are definately aiming at moving into the lower African states and I will switch to them should they finally get a footprint close enough, sure I'll need a larger dish but I have a spare 2 metre kit here now so that's fine, more channels, more choices, less price and a customer service attitude that make DSTV's pale in comparison. I'll also be looking at Top TV as serious alternative until then as I am sick of the way DSTV wants to maintain it's control over what you watch, censorship, old programming, etc. etc.
Old 2010-08-09 , 15:16
Still gets up to change channels

Unhappy

The New decoders from Multichoice are substandard, I have received many complaints that the hung after shortwhile, people should be allowed to use open ended decoders which are of high quality like strong,humax etc
Old 2010-08-14 , 02:07

I am just curious as to whether we'll get any input from one of the MC mod's... it seems that they only respond when it's in their favour, they for sure see all the comments as they have to approve them before they are posted on the Forum.
Old 2010-08-14 , 10:13
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamonza View Post
My main issue is the forced hardware that is low quality... no offense but the PACE and Altech/UEC systems are not great when compared to Humax, Dreambox and some of the other new Linux based systems which are faster, work better and don't need constant fixes from DSTV.
So what do you want MC to say?
What are the prices on those boxes?
Old 2010-08-14 , 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
So what do you want MC to say?
What are the prices on those boxes?
I wouldn't mind seeing what official line is from Multichoice on why users cannot use other (better) decoders, technically they are fully compliant and from a security viewpoint no different to the Pace/UEC systems. So why if there is no logical/technical/compatibility issues are they still forcing the junk on us in Africa where they know support is non-existant.

As for prices, depends on what you want... dreambox are very pricy but you are getting a system that can do everything and more. Humax are quite reasonable, mine is a simple one but in 4 years and 3 countries I have never had a single problem. All you need is a lyngsat guide for setting up and you're sorted.
You can get any type and funcionality you want if you look online...
Tags
dsd1131, dstv africa