Forum > Decoders > Installation > Installation diagram for Explora 2 + HD Decoder (XtraView) ?
Old 2017-11-07 , 22:41
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Installation diagram for Explora 2 + HD Decoder (XtraView) ?

Hi,

Where can I find an installation diagram for setting up an Explora 2 with an HD Decoder using a Smart LNB?

The HD decoder may be in the same room or another room, I'm not sure yet.

Thanks.
Old 2017-11-08 , 08:57
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Hi,

Where can I find an installation diagram for setting up an Explora 2 with an HD Decoder using a Smart LNB?

The HD decoder may be in the same room or another room, I'm not sure yet.

Thanks.
There are no official diagrams available. However if you want, there are a few of us who have generated diagrams in the past. Mainly because the implementation of XV with the older decoders was complicated. There were so many different things to take into account when installing the older decoders.

With the new decoders, there are very few issues left. The principals are very simple now.

(1). Each decoder requires a single cable from the SLNB to the decoder. In the past the number of cables from the LNB depended on the model of the decoder. Now the new decoders only require one cable for each decoder.
(2) The decoder placement in one room or in more than one room is largely irrelevant. It is influenced by what you as a user wants to do.
(3) The ONLY issue left is what do you want to do with the RF signal distribution? Do you want to still be able to view ALL decoders anywhere in the home via Rf?
IF this is a requirement, then it may be easier to place all decoders in one room in some instances. IT IS NOT a requirement though.
(4) The above decision influences HOW the HB cable is run.
Physically ,you requires HB cable connection between all the decoders under XV. The ONLY variable now is whether the connection is to the RF IN ports or to the RF OUT ports on the decoders.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-11-09 , 20:09

Geoff D, the legend! :-)

Quote:
Do you want to still be able to view ALL decoders anywhere in the home via Rf?
We don't need this anymore, especially if it adds complexity.

=====

I think it makes sense to have the decoder in the 2nd room now, so that:

1) Simple short HDMI connection
2) No need for remote blasters, etc.

With that in mind (and the fact that we have an LMX500 SLNB), do you happen to have a diagram for this?

I have a very rough idea of how it might look, but I'm not really sure about the LNB connections, for example. Like, if it's one cable from the LNB to each decoder, or only one cable with a splitter to the two decoders. Also, the RF IN/OUT stuff for the HB, etc. for this configuration.

=====

Related:

We currently have a 4-tuner HD PVR, which was connected to a 1110, but I turned the latter off a few months ago because of an issue with its circuitry.

So, moving from two old to two new decoders (one of which was part of another DStv subscription):

a) Is it still necessary to phone and request the HB break, even though the 1110 has been off for months?
b) How should we handle the smart cards?
* Are they tied to the decoders in any way, or can we just move the old cards into the new decoders?
* Or should we use the new cards in the new decoders?

=====

I apologize if I'm asking too many questions. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 2017-11-10 , 14:55
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi, Geoff's quite tied up for a while so I'll help you through this much a bit. Any more will have to wait for him, hopefully by next week.

Quote:
With that in mind (and the fact that we have an LMX500 SLNB), do you happen to have a diagram for this?
Due to the many, many options available we seldom use diagrams anymore. I'll be describing with words, based on your current decisions, you can always ask for a diagram again later if it's not making enough sense.

Quote:
I have a very rough idea of how it might look, but I'm not really sure about the LNB connections, for example. Like, if it's one cable from the LNB to each decoder, or only one cable with a splitter to the two decoders. Also, the RF IN/OUT stuff for the HB, etc. for this configuration.
Firstly presuming that you don't have the new decoders yet, and that you'll be buying retail - so this is based on you getting an Explora 2A and a new 4137 HD Decoder;
That is your best buy in that it's most future proof, and there's no need for a separate heartbeat (HB) system or any added related equipment. (As long as the LNB cable distances are not very long.)

So, simply feed a Unicable connection to both decoders (one to each), and terminate the other two Unicable ports on the LNB with the terminators supplied. (Universal ports do not need termination.)
The 4137 likely has a setting for using Unicable, but it may be called "SATCR Universal".
The userband Indexes and their associated frequencies must not clash - change the Explora to use Indexes 2, 3 & 4 (frequencies will be detailed in the supplied booklet for this). Make sure you do all the Indexes first, then the frequencies.

That would be the whole story. No "splitters" (not the correct terminology in this case) or RF ports involved for you.

Quote:
=====

Related:

We currently have a 4-tuner HD PVR, which was connected to a 1110, but I turned the latter off a few months ago because of an issue with its circuitry.

So, moving from two old to two new decoders (one of which was part of another DStv subscription):

a) Is it still necessary to phone and request the HB break, even though the 1110 has been off for months?
Yes. And recommended to connect the 1110 before doing this, even if it doesn't work properly.
Else, take all 4 decoders in and have them sort it out for you.

Quote:
b) How should we handle the smart cards?
* Are they tied to the decoders in any way, or can we just move the old cards into the new decoders?
* Or should we use the new cards in the new decoders?
Any new decoder will have its own smartcard (s/c) so it's not necessary to ever move a s/c around, in fact it just complicates things to try to.
Old 2017-11-10 , 15:12

Quote:

So, moving from two old to two new decoders (one of which was part of another DStv subscription)...
Reading this again - it suggests that you already do have one or even both new decoders.

As such;
1. If you instead end up with an original Explora (casually called the model 1 but not marked as such) then for the above method to work it will need an external diplexer - they're inexpensive and fairly easy to find.
(But in this case, you do mention in post #1 that it is planned to be a model 2A.)
2. If you instead have or end up with a 4136 HD Decoder, that too would need an external diplexer.

That's it from me, all the best with it :-)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-11-10 at 15:20. . Reason: Detail
Old 2017-11-10 , 20:15

hi ,im struggling to upload diagrams. please email and I will forward the diagram.
The Explora2 in xtraview with an HD5 decoder connected to a smart lnb doesnt require a heartbeat cable and is susgested to be in different rooms as there is no Rf out for distribution.
Old 2017-11-10 , 20:19

HD5 decoders do not have RF in or RF out ports for distribution.
The heartbeat is recieved through the LNB port.Combining of both heartbeat and LNB signal is known as uniview.
when connecting a HD5 decoder with any other decoder besides the Explora2 will require a external diplexer to create a conventional heartbeat method.
Optimist email me and I will provide diagrams to upload
Old 2017-11-10 , 21:01

Optimist,

Yes, we have both new decoders, an Explora 2 and an HD decoder "4S" model (well the latter is about a year old I think).

Does the 4S model still require a HB and/or the diplexer?

I better read up on the index/frequency stuff, as I don't believe that that was required in the past (a long time ago ).

Thanks for the help!

MC Field Services,

Thanks, I've sent you a PM.
Old 2017-11-10 , 21:32
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Optimist,

Yes, we have both new decoders, an Explora 2 and an HD decoder "4S" model (well the latter is about a year old I think).

Does the 4S model still require a HB and/or the diplexer?

I better read up on the index/frequency stuff, as I don't believe that that was required in the past (a long time ago ).

Thanks for the help!

MC Field Services,

Thanks, I've sent you a PM.
Sorry for not trying to come up with a diagram before this. We had to try and get MC to respond officially so as to clear up issues and hopefully send you diagrams. Glad it worked. !

So to answer your questions which should help when you get the diagrams from MC.

Assuming you have a Explora 2 and a HD 4136 decoder ( 4S or 4U), plus a LMX 500 SLNB, then

Each decoder needs its own cable connection to the SLNB. The Explora 2 is connected to a unicable port, the 4136 can be connected either the unicable port or the universal port.

The 4136 decoder does have RF In and RF out ports so it can run XV via the RF ports as previously with the older decoders.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-11-10 , 22:14

Sorry for any confusion, I'm sure Geoff will sort everything out from here
The userbands only need adjusting if you choose unicable for your 4136, and not quite the same as it would have been with a 4137.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
Optimist email me and I will provide diagrams to upload
Just popping in to say I've sent the email, will post uploads when received.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-11-10 at 22:17. .