Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Blade Runner 2049!
Old 2017-09-29 , 12:50
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
The original Blade Runner is a good movie, although I watched it recently ahead of the upcoming new movie and there was one scene made me feel rather uncomfortable. It's been long time since I saw the movie, so I can't remember how I reacted to previously, but it just didn't sit right with me this time around.
I checked the spoiler and don't recall that specific aspect of the scene you mention. (though I've watched the movie at least a half dozen times in different formats )I'll keep an eye out next week when I watch BR again on Blu-Ray.

BTW I checked in Musica Sandton this morning; they've had a run on Blu-Rays and have sold out. They had one copy on DVD available.
The Blu-Ray was remastered from an original celluloid print and they did a splendid job, the 5.1 soundtrack is also excellent. BR is a "dark" movie, both figuratively and literally. The Blu-Ray made those outdoor rainy cityscapes so much more alive and exciting to watch. As was also in the case with some of the dark indoor scenes.

So B-R highly recommended for BR!
Cheers, K.

[edit] PS: for those of you with deep pockets for equipment, there is a 4K-UHD Blu-Ray version with Dobly Atmos audio.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/484...ahdbluray.html

There is an interesting movie review as well at the above link.
I'll have to make do with 5.1 Sound through the big old Tannoy S8s and letting my mid-range telly do the up-scaling from HD!
K

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-09-29 at 13:17. .
Old 2017-09-30 , 00:48
Changes remote batteries daily

That's quite a price.

Explora
Old 2017-09-30 , 11:26
4K, baby!

Default Booking open!

Book Now for great seats!
Cheers, K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR2049.jpg (102.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 2017-09-30 , 12:54
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

The movie Blade Runner was based on a Philip K. **** story called "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" Hollywood got this one right, but they totally messed up with "Total Recall" based on another Philip K. **** story, I Can Dream It For You Wholesale.
Old 2017-09-30 , 13:48
4K, baby!

Smile

Hi Ken,

The nanny state filter does not like Philip K "D1ck"

But in any case I thoroughly enjoyed the original Total recall, with Arnie and Sharon Stone, back 1990.
Agreed the recent (unnecessary) remake was absolutely appalling!

The adjustment Bureau was also based on a PKD Short Story. I enjoyed it, but it did not get great reviews, generally.

And, of course the Brilliant Minority report!

Cheers, K.

PS I'd not realised it but there are quire a few more PKD film adaptations...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...*-adaptations/

(sorry the link does not work because of the nanny filter. you will have to edit the **** to d1ck in the URL )

k

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-09-30 at 14:05. .
Old 2017-10-01 , 07:56
Changes remote batteries hourly

Here's a way around the filter problem guys, a nuisance but fortunately not needed often.

Shortened URL.jpg

Shortened URL for this link: www.goo.gl/HgNGYe

And thanks for the heads up about the remake of Total Recall guys, something said to me avoid it but I was recently reconsidering it
Won't touch it now!
Old 2017-10-01 , 10:42
4K, baby!

Thanks Brian, seen the shortened URL many times but did not know one could generate one manually.

Rented (GBP 3.49 on Amazon) and Streamed "Total Recall" (1990) in HD last night. Not watched it for many years and thoroughly enjoyed it. A trifle dated now, for sure, but still a terrific movie.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-10-01 , 20:49
Changes remote batteries daily

I personally enjoyed the remake of total recall more than original.

Yes this guy had alot of good movie Adaptions

Explora
Old 2017-10-02 , 14:18
4K, baby!

All I can remember about Blade Runner is that I've seen it. Didn't make any sort of impression on me. But then again, as some already know, I'm not much into sci fi type of movies. Maybe I need to watch it again? The first one that is. Some movies I've thought to be absolute rubbish when I've first watched it, Gone With The Wind is a perfect example, but then I really enjoyed it at the second, and third, viewing.

Someone, I think it was Sandtonman, mentioned some older movies like The Mission, Chariots of Fire and a couple of others and suggested that MC should consider showing these movies as an attempt to educate the younger generation regarding older movies. Unfortunately, although I am in total agreement with this sentiment, I fear that not many of the younger generation will be bothered to watch them. Also I think they have been shown on TCM already. Perhaps this can be done as a 'Pop up Channel" one day? MC can ask their subscribers for titles of older movies that they may like to watch again? Compile a list and take it from there? But I really cannot see this happening.
Old 2017-10-03 , 08:46
Changes remote batteries hourly

It's really interesting to see the wider opinions at times, there's enough of that to suggest this forum has a more healthy mix than sometimes believed.

But there is a particular type of old school present, sci-fi lovers in their late 40's to 70's who seem to have remarkably similar ideas about what's still good filmmaking, and I'm fortunate to fit in there so have benefited from some of that advice.
Long may it continue, and long may alternative interests do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Thanks Brian, seen the shortened URL many times but did not know one could generate one manually.
Forgot to answer K, actually I wasn't certain how it may work or where and just got lucky in finding that fast.
So glad it's been found, there's other good uses for it here such as this forum's older software having problems with links including underscores, or something like that.